Archived Availability Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I was recently offered a job in Hardlines after a successful interview and my orientation is next week. I was wondering about how I go about changing my availability. Technically, I'm not an employee yet, so I don't want them to change their mind on me. After the interview, I ended up registering for a summer course at my college, and my family planned a vacation is august. Should I let the HR know before my interview? or after? I really need this job.

Also, I told them that I finished my first year of college, so would it be safe to assume that they know I will be going back to school in September?

Thanks!

As far as your availability goes, you may be out of luck. When they offered you the job, you should have signed an availability form agreeing to the availability you interviewed with. However, if you talk to your store's ETL-HR (that's the person who runs HR for the store) and let them know the situation, they may make an exception, as long as the class doesn't black out a lot of your availability. The vacation I'm not sure about, since every store is a little different. At least at my store, if a TM interviewed, said they had no upcoming time off needed, but then needed time off, the HR team wouldn't be likely to approve it without a good reason as to why you didn't mention it during the interview.

For September, they probably can put two and two together, but never assume anything with Target. Communicate with them in June about how much, if at all, you will be able to work when fall semester starts. My old ETL-HR who left last month was excellent about making sure college students had the availability set that works best for them and allowed them to accomplish their educational goals.

Ultimately it comes down to communication. Communicate with your HR team and explain the situation, so both parties can work out a solution.

When you interviewed, you signed a sheet agreeing to your availability. Now, you want to come back to change it because you decided at the last second to take a class? They may say no...they may rescind your job offer. They may work with you, but it will likely piss them off....not a great way to start out. People are generally hired because of their availability.

When I was hired in June, they made it incredibly clear I couldn't change my availability for 90 days. Since I was in graduate school, I asked if changing my availability for school come September would be a problem. They were fine with that. They also asked about any upcoming vacations. Honestly, I had my orientation and training for cashier and left for Israel the next day for 10 days. But again, they were fine with it because I was straight up honest with them and put that on the form. You signed a form saying you didn't have any upcoming vacations, and conveniently "forgot" about this one?

Believe me, management has seen all the excuses before, and they don't fall for most of them, nor do they appreciate being yanked around by people who lie during the interview to get the job (which, even if you didn't, they are going to think you did).

They may work with you, but you are going to have a lot of obstacles to overcome now to prove yourself.

When you interviewed, you signed a sheet agreeing to your availability. Now, you want to come back to change it because you decided at the last second to take a class? They may say no...they may rescind your job offer. They may work with you, but it will likely piss them off....not a great way to start out. People are generally hired because of their availability.

When I was hired in June, they made it incredibly clear I couldn't change my availability for 90 days. Since I was in graduate school, I asked if changing my availability for school come September would be a problem. They were fine with that. They also asked about any upcoming vacations. Honestly, I had my orientation and training for cashier and left for Israel the next day for 10 days. But again, they were fine with it because I was straight up honest with them and put that on the form. You signed a form saying you didn't have any upcoming vacations, and conveniently "forgot" about this one?

Believe me, management has seen all the excuses before, and they don't fall for most of them, nor do they appreciate being yanked around by people who lie during the interview to get the job (which, even if you didn't, they are going to think you did).

They may work with you, but you are going to have a lot of obstacles to overcome now to prove yourself.

I did not forget about anything. My family made a last minute decision to travel to visit my grandmother, who I havent seen in at least 4 years. As for the class, it was a spontaneous decision. The vacation is only 3 days and this class is only 5 weeks long, tuesday and thursday nights. During the interview, I answered all of their questions entirely. I did not lie, and I don't like to be accused of lying.

Regarding the vacation; if it is only three days I'd just request off. I know I requested off for a long weekend to visit some friends (Thursday through Sunday) about two months after I started and it wasn't a big deal. I just requested unpaid time off through the computer system, didn't give a reason, and it was approved without anyone mentioning anything. I also requested off one or two random days within the first several months and they didn't seem to care or question it. Since August is four months away and its only three days I don't feel like it would be a big deal, but every store is different. Your original post just said "family vacation" and had it been like a two weeks long that would have been different.

As for the college class that might be more difficult to work out. You might have the offer taken away because they do state you can't change your availability within the first ninety days. Also even through you didn't lie and decided to take the course after your interview I feel like the leaders will just kind of assume you were lying which I think is what @Retail Girl was trying to say. I'm sure almost everyone in management has had someone in the past lie about their availability during interviews and that makes it hard to believe people. When I interviewed and was offered a job I told them I had to give two weeks notice at my other job. I found out one of my training days overlapped with my other job because it was only a week after my interview. I mentioned that to one of the leaders and he said something like "everyone does this with their availability". Luckily I got someone to take my shift at my other job. But even through I mentioned giving two weeks notice during my interview the leader just immediately assumed I was trying to do something sneaky since it happens a fair amount.

Last edited:
The long weekend shouldn't be a problem. And I don't think you are lying...but there's a good chance they will, because this happens a LOT and I suspect it gets old after a while.

You were offered the job based on the current availability you gave.
If you suddenly have to change it up because of 'suddenly' adding a class & your family 'suddenly' deciding to go see Grandma just after you accepted a new job, Target would be well within their rights to rescind the offer.
I watched an ETL-HR do just that to a new hire right after orientation.

When I was hired a little over 6 months ago, it was made clear to me and all the other new hires, that we can not change our availability during our first 90 days. Requesting a long weekend off, is probably no big problem.

If you didn't sign the paper, there's the electronic signature on your application which is just as good as an ink one. When it comes to the vacation you can request those days off provided you give enough notice.
On the application form you write down your availability and your vacation and that is the commitment you're signing up for. If this happened in my store, it would probably end up in a "It's been a pleasure, you can now go on your way"

At the time I applied, my girlfriend had coverage from In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) to help with home care after breaking her hip, adding to an existing disability, but in the time since it's been near impossible getting a helper. I'm still on my 90 days, but there are situations where she can't use the bathroom or eat for basically the whole day, being unable to get up from bed or chair, and it's the worst feeling in the world when I have to leave her like that, or rely on the slim chance that family can swing by.

I guess the question is, is there any flexibility in the system for changing my availability, or am I just shit out of luck?

At the time I applied, my girlfriend had coverage from In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) to help with home care after breaking her hip, adding to an existing disability, but in the time since it's been near impossible getting a helper. I'm still on my 90 days, but there are situations where she can't use the bathroom or eat for basically the whole day, being unable to get up from bed or chair, and it's the worst feeling in the world when I have to leave her like that, or rely on the slim chance that family can swing by.

I guess the question is, is there any flexibility in the system for changing my availability, or am I just shit out of luck?
Really depends on your store. The best thing is to talk to your HR and see if they can be flexible.

Tell your HR person at orientation about your summer class. Just make sure you have the paper with you. As far as the vacation, I would just put a time off request in and see what happens. The worst they can discuss is deny it.

You'll have to show them your school schedule for the fall when the semester approaches

Last edited:
Just speak to the Hr. ell them about the vacation and then tell them an opportunity has come up for you to take a class etc on such and such days at such and such time. Ask them if it will be an issue.

Update: Manaement was really cool with it, they said it wasn't a problem at all. Only thing now is waiting for them to call for orientation. The original phone call said it was on this past Tuesday morning, but when I showed up, they apologized and said they'll call me for another date. Hopefully soon because I need to start working

Glad to hear they are working with you! Likely they are either waiting for more people or the hours to do it. It took me three weeks to get to orientation, and they only jumped then because I was leaving on that vacation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back