Archived Awkward co-workers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the back story: I started working at my local Target about three weeks ago. I was excited because I'm new to the area and since there's so many people working at every Target I figured I was bound to make one or two new friends! Well...that's kind of happened. I've a handful of really cool people but the problem is, only one or two of those people seem even been interested in having a conversation with me

Am I right for feeling bummed? Or am I being too sensitive.

I try to say hi to everyone, even if I dont know them, if I don't and they don't seem busy, I introduce myself, we exchange the typical "what department do you work in? etc" then go on our merry ways.

Theeen....I see them again, I say Hi "persons name" "how are you?" "good? Awesome. :)"

....and that's about as far as most conversations go.

When I run into the problem is when I see them around again and again I smile at them and get ready to say Hello and try and spark up a convo. But before I can do this it seems like 90% of the time they're almost avoiding eye contact with me then the other 10% of the time I just get a blank stare

So now I'm going into working feeling super awkward because now I'M catching myself avoiding making eye contact with them just so I don't get looked at weird or feel stupid again. Maybe I'm just too hideous to look at, I've never had people respond to me like this and I find it interesting yet odd.

I work as a cashier by the way, and guest services is right across the way...so it's awkward in all angles for me now.

Has anyone encountered co-workers like this? Am I being treated like this just because I'm "new"? Or is this a personal problem of mine?

I read this and I felt you were introducing me for a sec.

I get this too and I just smile and stuff and acknowledge that they're there and go back to what I was doing. I would try getting to more conversation levels with them and changing things up get to know more about a few and make connections

I like that someone else does what I do..I enjoy saying hi to fellow TMs and asking questions like how are you and other topics. :)

I say hi to everyone, I see. If you are working with me, I will have conversation while zoning. But, I will acknowledge the guests, during this time too.

You'll find it takes a little time.
Don't take it personally, especially this time of year.
Folks are so used to seeing TMs come and go that they aren't even going to bother learning your name until January.
Not saying it's right but it's the nature of the beast.
When things are this busy and there are so many new faces, it tends to be hard enough to do the job much less get to know everybody.

That said, you're going about it the right way.
Greeting your fellow TMs, working hard, and making a good impression will speed the process up.
I understand it's a bit disheartening to say hello and have people not respond, I always said hello and once people got to know me they would respond.
I also introduced myself to the new folk and let them know what I did since signing can be a bit of a mystery.

Awkward TMs...I WIN

I had a fellow cart attendant one time that admitted to me he was Furry cat and would call and meow to his girlfriend on breaks.

That's awesome.

Whats scary is that he knew my ex-girlfriend and some former friends at the time. I am glad I got out of that circle.

Then of course I also worked the potheads, the ones with the bad BO...

I used to be super sensitive with social situations; always tried to be friends with everyone, dwelled when I was given the cold shoulder, etc. It took a couple years between when I was 21 until now to grow a backbone and realize I don't have to like everyone and not everyone has to like me. We had a whole bunch of new TMs due to a mass firing and I don't know their names or talk to them unless they actively approach me. I come to target to work, not to make new friends, and it took me a few years to get that through my head. If there are true relationships to be found with your coworkers they will eventually happen organically.

Some of us don't allow ourselves to get emotionally invested only to see a new TM up & leave.
You're setting a good tone but it's the harshest time of yr.
Give them time.

It's a lot harder at my store. Here's why:

Most of the people who work at my store come from the hood. If you sound like you don't come from the hood, engage in hood activities or are annoying friendly, you will be cut out of the cliques.

The cliques:

The softlines clique
The backroom clique
The 2nd floor clique
The 3rd floor clique
The unloaders clique
The new TMs clique

Some people from these cliques talk to those who aren't in the cliques. These conversations are very limited however because they are trying to avoid any dating rumors (alot of the people here are women) and to avoid just general badmouthing.

Most of the people who work at my store come from the hood. If you sound like you don't come from the hood, engage in hood activities or are annoying friendly, you will be cut out of the cliques.

The cliques:

The softlines clique
The backroom clique
The 2nd floor clique
The 3rd floor clique
The unloaders clique
The new TMs clique

Some people from these cliques talk to those who aren't in the cliques. These conversations are very limited however because they are trying to avoid any dating rumors (alot of the people here are women) and to avoid just general badmouthing.

I worked as the Signing Ninja so I was all over the store and never really had a chance to settle into any one clique, unless you count plano and they were kind of the anti clique.
That was kind of a good thing.
I don't speak Spanish so it took longer to break into some of the groups but you'd be surprised how many things you can find in common no matter what your backgrounds.
I'm twice the age of many of the TMs but listen to the same music, play video games, watch movies, and would often take recommendations.

The only clique I never broke was the Glee club/cheerleader/sports part of TLs and ETLs.
That was probably my undoing.

I'm married and made that clear so dating was rumors were never an issue.

I can say that when I go back to the store I'm greeted by a dozen people who miss me every time.

The cliques:

The softlines clique
The backroom clique
The 2nd floor clique
The 3rd floor clique
The unloaders clique
The new TMs clique

How big is your store?

Thank you for the replies, everyone. I've done some observing and I've just come to realize that my Target unfortunately has some serious cliques going on, and that's fine.

I'm just going to do my job to the best of my ability and not care so much about the social aspect. I've met some really nice people, here's to meeting more. :)

The cliques:

The softlines clique
The backroom clique
The 2nd floor clique
The 3rd floor clique
The unloaders clique
The new TMs clique

How big is your store?

City targets should have the multiple floors.

I'm one of those weird people in my store lol for me I will communicate effectively 5 sec chit chat crack a joke here and there on the floor with my coworkers. While in the break room before and after work headphones on and zone into my phone. Nothing against my coworkers just people in general gossip I've worked various retail stores most employees complain about management etc and I'm not trying to be a part of that. In general I don't want to listen to people's life and so forth. I got my homies outside of work don't need more drama by making new ones lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back