back stock

Do other stores have to back stock items so they are as neat and organized as the store itself?

You're putting it all on a uboat or flat when you pull. Just sort what you're pulling into repacks as you're pulling it. No need to sort it in the backroom. The backroom can't be as nice as the floor. It's literally for excess product, which you have almost no control over. The time it takes to try and maintain that organization is more than what it takes to just sort as you pull.

There are more reasons to keep it extremely organized than just to help speed the DBO up when doing one for ones:
  • If you have to have someone other than the DBO help pull, they can work as efficiently as the DBO.
  • We want to be inventory ready EVERY day, not just inventory time. Having your backroom organized makes it easier to keep it low and pro and keep same DPCI in the same spot. This reduces the risk of "losing" product in some random WACO in some random BR aisle.
  • If the product is organized, I can visually tell what merchandise I own. This means that I can make quick decisions when I need to fill a broken endcap or PTM an aisle. I will have a easier time moving product from the backroom to the salesfloor, where I have a better chance of selling it before it goes dcode->clearance->salvage.
  • It also helps fulfillment experts. "Hmm.... I'm about to INF something not on the floor, but if it were unlocated in the backroom for some reason, I know exactly where I could find it"
I'm sure there are plenty more benefits for it, but these are just what immediately come to mind. The backroom can and definitely should be maintained as well as your salesfloor-it really is just an extension of your floor that happens to not be available to guests

I've never actually been inside an Amazon warehouse, but I recently read a book by someone who worked as a picker in one. The description of how they organize where everything goes was enlightening. It could best be described as organized chaos. Every bin has completely unrelated items in it. It's more efficient that way. If a picker is looking for a dildo and she gets sent to a bin that has nothing but a bunch of dildos, then potentially time is wasted grabbing the wrong ones. But, if the bin has nothing but the one dildo and a bunch of unrelated items, such as some book, a T-shirt, a candle, etc., then it's super easy to spot the needed dildo and move on.

I've been thinking about that a lot recently as I watch all the backroom reorganization by pog and find myself more often grabbing the wrong item.

Of course, Target has more needs than just picking efficiency and presumably Amazon is much, much, much better about knowing what it actually has in each storage location than Target is because we suck at it.

@YugTegrat I get what you're saying. If we're going to try and keep it organized, then we need to do it right. This means that the same rules still apply: no more than 3 DPCIs per WACO, items should be the same front to back, and similar looking items should be put into different WACOs to prevent the issues you're talking about.

I also want to clarify that I don't mean to organize the merch by section, shelf/peg, sequence. Ex I don't want product having to be organized by if it's A17 (2)3-P1-8 in one WACO and A17 (2)3-P1-9 in the next. I just mean that 1 4 ft section in your aisle should be dedicated to A17. If A17 needs more space, then give it a 2nd section. Backstock all A17 product within there, using regular guidelines mentioned above. This gives you flexibility and space as your product ebbs and flows.

The backroom accuracy project stated in the rollout guide that there is NO payroll added to get this done. That much is correct. The guide also calls out that if you need to reprofile your backroom, then you should time it with a transition over there. I'll share some tips on what we did at my store that makes it so easy:
1.)Walk the adjaceny long before your transition.
2.) Go to the backroom and begin designating 4ft sections for salesfloor aisles/categories. Ex. 009A->A1. 009B->A2. Gonna need a lot of space for A3, so 009C and 009E->A3. 009D->A4. Use paper printout signs or sticky notes or something in the beginning to label the sections so that you can move them around if you find that you need more or less space. If you're concerned about space for salesplanners, make a section or 2 towards the back and designate that for them! Only you guys at your store will be able to know what your space needs are.
3.) You can empty the BR in a few ways. In the time leading up to the transition, purge a 4 ft section a day, and backtock whatever doesn't go out into the new location. OR you can wait for that transition and purge everything when it gets reset. OR you can just let the one for ones do the purging for you. Whatever would be best for your unique situation.

If you plan it correctly ahead of time, you won't even need extra payroll, it will basically complete itself within your regular workload.

IMO, it's a joy to work in a department that has it's backroom together. I said this earlier and I'll say it again: your backroom should act as an extension of your salesfloor. Your backroom exists to support your salesfloor. I don't know why anyone would choose not to use it that way.

Whether you personally like it or not, the bottom line is this: Target is asking us to keep our backrooms organized to better support our salesfloor. We are paid by Target to execute the direction. The great bonus here, unlike some other direction we've received from Target, is that what they are asking us to do actually works really well!

Please expand on this comment. If fillgroups are going away what takes its place? Approximately when will this take place?
Fill groups will be replaced by DBO areas, pets, chem, kitchen, dec home. It doesn’t make sense to have a full group like home pull 3 different DBO areas. How can you expect every DBO to have the same routine if it’s only one batch?

My guess and a dream come true would be that they are more store specific like custom blocks and you can edit them based off your DBOs. You’d tie aisles to groups rather than items so you can edit it based off adjacency moves and not have to adjust your DBOs area

My understanding was that dbos would walk their area n drop pog batches based on what sales floor ailses r looking like n need fill. That would mean your capacity n sfq need to be on point for it to pull from backroom. We were asked a while back to get our sfq n capacitys right in the whole store ....and maintain as you set pogs.

Back