Backpacker

Today was my 2nd day feeding. Super easy so once I am able to feed 6 people they are going to start training me. Which should be next week. Was just wondering the whole process, thanks!

They reworked the powered equipment training process a couple years ago, so I assume all DCs use a similar program now. I'm a trainer in warehousing so I have trained lots of newbies on the order picker.

The general training program starts with a small classroom part which is just some of the basic safety rules for driving around the building. Next you do a building walk where you watch others operating PIT and watch for safe or unsafe behaviors that you talked about during the classroom portion. It goes fairly quick so this will maybe take 1-2 hours.

After that the trainer should go over the controls and points of interest on the machine while referencing the operators manual for the PIT you are learning. Then you learn how to fill out a pre-use checklist for the machine.

After that its just learning basics and obstacle course stuff for a while, mostly driving around cones, pallets, or cagecarts, depending on what is available. Once you are comfortable with the controls of the machine you move on the driving in the racking aisles and driving around the building. Once you hit about 10 hours of training you take a test which involves a few questions and then a driving section, both parts are completed with your trainer and OM watching.

Passing the test means you are certified on the machine and start to learn the actual job function. If you don't pass you practice the parts that you missed, and try again the next day. You get 3 attempts and only retake the portions of the test you missed.

In warehousing everything we do involves PIT so we start training our new TMs on day 1. My building also has new employees work half shifts for the first week, so we usually do the first exam on the 3rd day. If you have ever driven PIT before like a forklift it goes a bit faster and you may take the test well before the 10 hour mark.

Is there any type of tests you have to do before you train on the pickers??
From my experience, the trainer goes over the manual for the sp (stock picker) and asks questions after. Very informal and not a written test by any means. They almost feed you the answer.

Because of Covid when you get trained on the sp the trainer won’t be on the equipment with you. As described they drive you around the building and have you learn driving with pallets and cones and such. After you feel comfortable the trainer will put you through a little test. Going forward while going up in a straight line, horn use, etc. you usually pass as long as you don’t hit anything.

you also go through safety school to learn safety basics. The trainer will also go over reading a label and give a little quiz.

overall I think the driving portion is the main “test” you take. You practice plenty to get accustomed to driving so take your time.

Damn. For me we went over the training packet. Walked all around the mezzanine then it was hop on the machine and get setup on an aisle... Right now were being flooded with new people and they are stuck sweeping because we dont have enough machines\charged batteries for all of them :confused:

All training should be standardized now. Training SHOULD involve a tour where you walk around the building and the point out different safety things. Where you're suppose to stop and just general situational awareness things.

Then you'll do fall prevention training which really isn't super in depth. Its basically "this goes high. Don't fall. If you do fall make sure you were wearing your harness and were properly hooked in so you don't die.

Then you'll be shown how the equipment works. You'll drive it around an open area. Don't hit anything. Then you'll drive around the building, practice going up to the battery changer etc

Then take the written test. They shouldn't feed you the answers but they will. Then an OM and trainer should follow you around for the practical.

Sometimes the written test is done after the walk-around tour. Other times its right before the practical. Depends on how your training binder is set up. And sometimes it just depended on my mood when I did it.

Then after you equipment train they'll teach you how to pick. Don't be surprised if equipment training takes the whole day and you don't pick until the next shift. Sometimes the trainer milks the time because why not.

Back