Logistics Backroom audit and 1-for-1s

We've started digging into our BRLA and have been doing the backroom audit consistently along with checking error locations as they appear in Greenfield. The backroom audit does attack a lot of those errors, thankfully.

We have also started dropping 1-for-1s twice a day for PP1 Fillgroups. This has maintained lower overall pull times and kept DBOs out of the backroom during their shifts.

My question is, should we be doing the audit first thing in the morning or last in the evening? The audit seems to address previous day issues, but I don't know how quickly the data updates that would populate the locations in the audit. If it populates quickly. We could be addressing current day issues by doing the audit in the evening. I honestly don't know enough to answer that question.

As for our second tier 1-for-1s. Does anyone else do this and what, if any, consistency have you worked in? We don't drop them the same time daily after the morning drop. Could happen at 1-2pm or as late as 8-9pm. Guess we aren't really screwing up metrics by doing it at any time. Cause the autos will populate in the morning and erase any unpulled drops. Then the cycle repeats.

We've started digging into our BRLA and have been doing the backroom audit consistently along with checking error locations as they appear in Greenfield. The backroom audit does attack a lot of those errors, thankfully.

We have also started dropping 1-for-1s twice a day for PP1 Fillgroups. This has maintained lower overall pull times and kept DBOs out of the backroom during their shifts.

My question is, should we be doing the audit first thing in the morning or last in the evening? The audit seems to address previous day issues, but I don't know how quickly the data updates that would populate the locations in the audit. If it populates quickly. We could be addressing current day issues by doing the audit in the evening. I honestly don't know enough to answer that question.

As for our second tier 1-for-1s. Does anyone else do this and what, if any, consistency have you worked in? We don't drop them the same time daily after the morning drop. Could happen at 1-2pm or as late as 8-9pm. Guess we aren't really screwing up metrics by doing it at any time. Cause the autos will populate in the morning and erase any unpulled drops. Then the cycle repeats.

We do our backrook audit first thing in the morning. Unlike the rest of your system led audits the backroom ones only drop in once so it’s fine to do asap. Realistically you want to complete it first to update any potential errors before your team pulls.

As for the second 1-1 we also do this for certain fill groups. As you mentioned your Mancafs will replace your auto, eliminating the need to accomplish them by noon like your autos. You do want to make sure you finish anything you drop thought even though you’re right they’re just populate again the next day for whatever you don’t pull. That being said I’m sure your OD and DSD are strongly pushing 1-1 right now just like mine and they will be closely paying attention to the pull completion report and the OFO completion performance report. Both of these reports track on a drop VS pulled level. On your end you might know that it’s your 2nd or 3rd MANCAF for a specific fill group that day but all they will see is a 75% batch completion if you only finished 3/4 you dropped, regardless of the fillgroup.

We do our backrook audit first thing in the morning. Unlike the rest of your system led audits the backroom ones only drop in once so it’s fine to do asap. Realistically you want to complete it first to update any potential errors before your team pulls.

As for the second 1-1 we also do this for certain fill groups. As you mentioned your Mancafs will replace your auto, eliminating the need to accomplish them by noon like your autos. You do want to make sure you finish anything you drop thought even though you’re right they’re just populate again the next day for whatever you don’t pull. That being said I’m sure your OD and DSD are strongly pushing 1-1 right now just like mine and they will be closely paying attention to the pull completion report and the OFO completion performance report. Both of these reports track on a drop VS pulled level. On your end you might know that it’s your 2nd or 3rd MANCAF for a specific fill group that day but all they will see is a 75% batch completion if you only finished 3/4 you dropped, regardless of the fillgroup.

We're trying to get consistent with pulling. But it's still falling short on some of the days when we don't have enough DBOs. We're low volume and only have a few DBOs scheduled on off truck days. Which is typically 3-4 days a week. So those days we struggle.

We're trying to get consistent with pulling. But it's still falling short on some of the days when we don't have enough DBOs. We're low volume and only have a few DBOs scheduled on off truck days. Which is typically 3-4 days a week. So those days we struggle.
Low volume and only 2-3 trucks a week? How big are your pulls? They should be tiny if you’re not doing that much in sales. Try to hold your TMs accountable for time spent pulling. Not saying yours are but I definitely had some TMs taking their sweet time until I started giving them time frames and showing them the move workload tool that gives an estimated time for every pull in your move app.

Low volume and only 2-3 trucks a week? How big are your pulls? They should be tiny if you’re not doing that much in sales. Try to hold your TMs accountable for time spent pulling. Not saying yours are but I definitely had some TMs taking their sweet time until I started giving them time frames and showing them the move workload tool that gives an estimated time for every pull in your move app.

3-4 trucks. Sales are okay. Since we've been staying up on pp1 pulls, they're lighter now. 40-60 items a batch. We're just trying to get a routine in place to get what we can, done. Being low volume, we don't get the payroll. So a lot of the work falls on the leads. It's doable, but feels like a step backwards.

Where are these times listed in move?

3-4 trucks. Sales are okay. Since we've been staying up on pp1 pulls, they're lighter now. 40-60 items a batch. We're just trying to get a routine in place to get what we can, done. Being low volume, we don't get the payroll. So a lot of the work falls on the leads. It's doable, but feels like a step backwards.

Where are these times listed in move?
Greenfield lists estimated pull times for what’s in your move app. It’s a live tool so whatever is currently in the app will be listed

I should start doing Backroom audit again I used to do it all the time before Q4 everyday I was scheduled but now stopped since It didn't seem like any Leadership care.
It did helped alot before to attack all the problems me and my team was having trying to find stuff before INFing.

Screen Shot 2020-01-14 at 5.14.36 AM.png

I can't find the FAQ that explains what each of the columns mean. Anyone break these down, especially the Errors columns?

View attachment 9491

I can't find the FAQ that explains what each of the columns mean. Anyone break these down, especially the Errors columns?
Total scans: Total number of scans overall while pulling. This counts every item you scan even if it’s not an item it wants.
Baffle: Number of items you scanned that were not located
Ghosts: Number of items it thought was located but you told the system it’s not really there
Open stock errors: Number of total errors in open stock locations, typically Waco’s or single item shelves.
Lowercase errors: Total errors in lower case locations. (Casepack locations below Waco’s)
Uppercase errors: Total errors in lower case locations. (Casepack locations above Waco’s)
Unassigned Z errors: locations you scanned that were not grouped in the system (upper, lower, casepack, remote)
Openstock scans: Total scans in this location type
Lowercase scans: Total scans in this location type
Uppercase scans: Total scans in this location type
Bulk scans: Total scans in this location type
Unassigned Z error scans: Total scans make in an ungrouped location or (Z location)

Total scans: Total number of scans overall while pulling. This counts every item you scan even if it’s not an item it wants.
Baffle: Number of items you scanned that were not located
Ghosts: Number of items it thought was located but you told the system it’s not really there
Open stock errors: Number of total errors in open stock locations, typically Waco’s or single item shelves.
Lowercase errors: Total errors in lower case locations. (Casepack locations below Waco’s)
Uppercase errors: Total errors in lower case locations. (Casepack locations above Waco’s)
Unassigned Z errors: locations you scanned that were not grouped in the system (upper, lower, casepack, remote)
Openstock scans: Total scans in this location type
Lowercase scans: Total scans in this location type
Uppercase scans: Total scans in this location type
Bulk scans: Total scans in this location type
Unassigned Z error scans: Total scans make in an ungrouped location or (Z location)

Very helpful. Thank you.

Maybe you can figure this out. We have some bulk locations that are consistently on the error report. I've audited these locations nearly daily. But they end up having several repeated errors. Thought I'd try regrouping them as openstock since bulk isn't a grouping anymore. This didn't seem to address the errors. Any ideas?

Very helpful. Thank you.

Maybe you can figure this out. We have some bulk locations that are consistently on the error report. I've audited these locations nearly daily. But they end up having several repeated errors. Thought I'd try regrouping them as openstock since bulk isn't a grouping anymore. This didn't seem to address the errors. Any ideas?
What type of error? Is it pipo? Also bulk is just called remote in backroom location management.

What type of error? Is it pipo? Also bulk is just called remote in backroom location management.

It's rugs. Baffles and ghosts. But this was after auditing and relocating the rugs back in there.

I didn't do any of the 1-4-1s in this location. Could these errors be caused by someone pulling and then backstocking immediately. I.e., burning the batch.

Last edited:
It's rugs. Baffles and ghosts. But this was after auditing and relocating the rugs back in there.

I didn't do any of the 1-4-1s in this location. Could these errors becaused by someone pulling and then backstocking immediately. I.e., burning the batch.
The act of burning a batch wouldn’t create the error. It’ll show up on the suspect item report but won’t cause an error. Someone must be pulling something from there.

The act of burning a batch wouldn’t create the error. It’ll show up on the suspect item report but won’t cause an error. Someone must be pulling something from there.

Thread Necro.

I'd bet dollars to donuts someone is keying the quantity during a pull then coming back later and scanning it back in, except sometimes they forget which rug it was so they guess, creating both a ghost, and later on down the line, a baffle.

I encountered this exact same situation and result a few times.

My suggestion is to A) move the rugs to an easy to access location if they aren't, and B) put the word out that someone may be burning rug batches and they're being audited frequently now. I'd be willing to be your problem goes away.

As per gsa4lyfe Backroom audit should be done first think in the morning ( my receiver is in charge of that) 1 4 1 were dropped twice a day during q4 and when I mean dropped twice was I dropped it at 4 am pulled to task complete and then again at 8 am .one thing is true is that yes indeed auto is replace by the man caf because of the truck acknowledge . If you gonna drop 141 twice a day you want to drop the second time it’s either pulled by 3 pm or after 3 pm and the reason is because at 3 pm the system generates caf until the truck gets acknowledged the next day when is auto and then man caf.

I'm GM2 lead and me and the GM1 lead pull all of our 1 for 1's and add it to the truck for the DBO's to push..if non truck day we push them after pulling them

I'm GM2 lead and me and the GM1 lead pull all of our 1 for 1's and add it to the truck for the DBO's to push..if non truck day we push them after pulling them
How do you have the time ?
clock in, read emails, get sales/BRLA numbers, assign tm breaks, complete audit, price change labels, check in with DBO’s to share metrics and assign SPL, PC, data accuracy and backroom errors audit tasks. ENSURE 1:1 are pulled, but no time to pull them ourselves. Help where we are falling behind - a pog/SPL/demerch area/pcsigning/display/plan a week ahead/answer a question/meet with a vendor/train/assist with someone struggling/clean fixture room/audit something.......
couldn’t fit in pulling if I tried.

Back