Archived Backroom dayside question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm in a sinking ship right now. My store has a few ship from store team members who know backroom but besides them it's just me. I'm the only dayside team member and it's been like this for a long time. Does anyone else have this as well? I feel like I'm being taken advantage of and it's killing my body.

It's been over a week since I've done the 3Oclock pulls in under 4 hours and I'm not getting any help because no one else is trained. On my days off they have someone from SFS do it (and of course it all falls behind for me to deal with when I'm back)

I'm about to call out today (I have a high number of call outs for the same reason) simply because my arms won't function well enough to handle it today.

Not to mention it doesn't help that I'm still getting minimum wage after several years of working here.

I tried talking to them to hire more people, I tried asking for a transfer, I tried asking to be switched to a different department, the only thing I've not tried is quitting. I feel like I'm out of options. Is this just the new way they're running backroom with minimum staff or am I being used here?

Probably both.

We typically have one tm in our backroom. He works his butt off. The End to End process decimated the BR team. and our BR scores suck, because of it.

Have you talked to your etl hr, etl log and stl?

What volume is your store?

Do you have to push your cafs or does salesfloor do it?

My first thought would be to see if you can retrain and find ways to be faster and more efficient. I know cafs are not easy but our old backroom tm would be scheduled from 1 to 7 and would still not finish while our new one can finish his pulls by 530 (Not anymore since it's q4)

Might not be a bad idea to put in your two weeks and reapply under another position at another store.

Probably both.

We typically have one tm in our backroom. He works his butt off. The End to End process decimated the BR team. and our BR scores suck, because of it.

Unless you're at a super hv store you shouldn't need two backroom closers. My old store A volume only had one backroom closer.

Are you doing market and softlines workload? That's a good place to start. Our morning team will help them but our backroom closer doesn't have time for that

I'm in the same exact position

My advice

Work slower.

Seriously, people here may think I'm anti team but why the fuck do I need to help with markets small ass 1pm pulls but I get no help with the 3s which during 4Q are 4 plus hours long. And that doesn't account for flexes, guest pulls, bales and the like

One of the ETLs tried to call me out on "pulling slow' because it took the cafs some time to get to the line

I pulled the cafs report outta my pocket that showed I pulled the 3 hour toys/seasonal/sports in 40 minutes and the overall 9 hour cafs in 3 when the system say I can technically take my entire shift

She shut the fuck up quick

Chill and work slower, keep the car report on hand. They can't do anything as long as you meet goal times

I second all of the recommendations here. However a footnote on "working slower." I wouldn't look at it as working slower. Look at it more like, "don't kill yourself trying to do the work of 2 or 3 people." Especially when you're only getting the wages of half a person. It's of no benefit to you to do your job poorly for the sake of retaliation. That won't fix anything. Do the best you can, but keep your communication with your leaders as open as possible and keep them updated. Squeaky wheel get's the grease.

Unless you're at a super hv store you shouldn't need two backroom closers. My old store A volume only had one backroom closer.
My A volume store has one backroom TM period. It sucks and if it weren't for the fact that he was the TL, getting TL pay, he would probably quit.

Why? Do you know what the closer even does? Setting the line alone takes like an hour if its full of shit

at the minimun there sound be a mid from 3-7

Doing the cafs, while keeping up with flexes, backstock, setting the line, audits, guest pulls and more is too much for one person

I second all of the recommendations here. However a footnote on "working slower." I wouldn't look at it as working slower. Look at it more like, "don't kill yourself trying to do the work of 2 or 3 people." Especially when you're only getting the wages of half a person. It's of no benefit to you to do your job poorly for the sake of retaliation. That won't fix anything. Do the best you can, but keep your communication with your leaders as open as possible and keep them updated. Squeaky wheel get's the grease.
As much I don't like it, he is right. The backroom and caf reports are supposed to be accurate metrics. If you can pull fast but chose to complete the task on time, there is nothing wrong with that.

guest pulls and more is too much for one person
Im Hardlines and will never understand why people bother the backroom to pull shit for them, it's not that hard. Only time I ask for help is if I can't find something (usually one of the weird aisles in receiving) or I need someone to get it down the the WAV. It's an easy process to pull the item, all TM's should just be taught it..

all TM's should just be taught it..
I actually disagree. All the TM pulling for E2E is killing out LocAcc. Everyone either takes one item out a box, doesn't subtract it all, refuses to push the rest to the floor.

cant forget the classic "i can't climb the ladder"

I actually disagree. All the TM pulling for E2E is killing out LocAcc. Everyone either takes one item out a box, doesn't subtract it all, refuses to push the rest to the floor.

cant forget the classic "i can't climb the ladder"
That's why the need to be taught properly, when I'm training people I always tell people to either push rest of the box or just put it in backstock if they're really that lazy

That's brutal. I'm so glad end to end pretty much stopped at my store with softlines and market.

My backroom usually will have 3 people in in the morning. Usually 5am, 6am, 8am. Then mid in around 11:30, then closer around 1:30 or 3:30.

This time of year there really should be two mids/closers daily. 3's are brutal to pull with these toys and seasonal batches

Thanks for the advice in here.

My store is high volume and yeah our accuracy is taking a huge hit, we have a board up that shows our goal (300 errors) and our actual errors, The actual errors is blank because there's only room for 3 numbers and we're currently at 1000+ errors.

I always print out the time report for the 3 Oclocks and I'm usually at about half the esteemed time It's just a struggle lately.

Today I had a second team member! (I didn't call out as I planned on doing and just pushed through the day) I wasn't expecting that but he was working till 5 so he was able to help me with the 3's. Even with his help we still didn't get done by 5 though. I don't know how they expect so much. I consider myself to be very fast compared to most people as I've been working for target for several years and still It's not enough.

So yeah I can promise you I don't need to be retrained =P Most of the managers know less then I do about backroom and often ask ME questions. I don't know how much retraining I'm going to get from an LOD who asks me "Are there 5 Oclocks today?" on a Wednesday.

Also to be honest if any of your stores have 1 closer I don't think they're doing everything they should. Sure they might get the pulls done and that's that, but I'd love if we had more people as well just to do the little things that no one else does, such as make bails and sweep and do empty location reports. I've not gotten to do an empty location report in months. Lots of people in other positions seem to think that as long as the auto's are pulled, our job is done for the day. The location I worked at a few years ago had us do 100% of the backstock, sweep the floors, set the line and check locations for accuracy. The store was 100% ready to go for the morning team, even on a good day now I feel like I'm covering an amputated wound with a band-aid, which leaves me quite discouraged.

I don't go home with a sense of pride and accomplishment and feeling like a part of a team like I used to.

"Congratulations, you get to be a cashier from now on!"
Our entire softlines TMs would be cashier's then lmao

Isn't there a thing on the app you need to sign saying you can lift like 50 pounds or something

Our entire softlines TMs would be cashier's then lmao

Isn't there a thing on the app you need to sign saying you can lift like 50 pounds or something

Considering that E2E is new, I don't think a majority of people expected they'd be climbing ladders regularly in the back. You know, since they didn't apply for backroom. Pretty sure the application says nothing about ladders.

Considering that E2E is new, I don't think a majority of people expected they'd be climbing ladders regularly in the back. You know, since they didn't apply for backroom. Pretty sure the application says nothing about ladders.
That's why they should be moved to a position that still does not require it, such as cashier or Starbucks.

My store has been moving people to cashier if they consistently have issues with the ladder. It's not even meant to be punitive, it's more about safety and not having people in jobs that now require ladder climbing if they are not comfortable with it.

There's nothing said about red cards, either...

That's why all you have to do is ask, they can't fire you for being a shitty sales person.

That's why they should be moved to a position that still does not require it, such as cashier or Starbucks.

My store has been moving people to cashier if they consistently have issues with the ladder. It's not even meant to be punitive, it's more about safety and not having people in jobs that now require ladder climbing if they are not comfortable with it.

Wait, so anyone who has been working in a department for years should be forced to move because the position is now a backroom hybrid? I mean, I guess I can't say it's wrong, but it's very shitty. You wouldn't have enough cashier positions.

Wait, so anyone who has been working in a department for years should be forced to move because the position is now a backroom hybrid? I mean, I guess I can't say it's wrong, but it's very shitty. You wouldn't have enough cashier positions.
It's only happened to a handful of people that I know of. Everyone else just adapts to the changes. It's like how softlines and electronics TMs are also now supposed to be more engaging with guests and focused on selling. The position has changed, so TMs who aren't comfortable with it should be moved to another department.

It's only happened to a handful of people that I know of. Everyone else just adapts to the changes. It's like how softlines and electronics TMs are also now supposed to be more engaging with guests and focused on selling. The position has changed, so TMs who aren't comfortable with it should be moved to another department.

Yeah, I'm not too familiar with salesfloor anyway, but I've heard complaints about it when it first started. Luckily, most TMs seem to wear many hats anyway, so moving around isn't so difficult. I just hope the application process is very clear about what these jobs entail.

I don't *like* ladders, but I deal now that I have to climb them a lot more due to E2E. I'm not afraid to ask for help if something is out of my reach or too heavy, though. Just cuz I can climb a ladder, does NOT mean that I can safely get that item out of the steel.

It gets a bit annoying that most of our sales floor team members are short girls who are afraid of heights. I get called to get things off the ladder for them all the time. It's understandable in some cases like the assortment pack of shoes from the top shelf and the girl is pregnant, but sometimes It's like "Really? It's 4 pounds and only 10 feet up"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back