Archived Backroom ETL told me I'm about to get fired in 1 week

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was hired for the backroom less than two weeks ago. I have been told by other team members that I was doing a decent job with pushing and pulling items. The last time I worked The backroom ETL he told me to finish stocking 5 carts of items in less than 2 hours before my shift ends in sporting goods/toys/grocery/kitchen. I managed to finish 4 out of the 5 carts by the end of the shift. However, the ETL wasn't happy with it. He immediately walked me into the office room where you can see yourself being recorded on camera. He started blaming me and saying that I wasn't fast enough. He said that some of the other hires were doing better than me and made no mistakes. He also started cursing on camera saying "horseshit" and the ETL even said "I'm an asshole" on camera. The ETL also said while being recorded that he fires 70% of the new hires for the backroom within 90 days because they're not up to his standard. He said he would only give me only one more shift working near electronics in one week and that I should ask the electronics ETL for a department transfer. He said if I'm not up to speed in the next shift he will fire me from the backroom, however, I know he'll fire me no matter what I do. He said he would update the online schedule for the shift he promised and he hasn't.

Any advice on how to deal with this?

Last edited:
I was hired for the backroom less than two weeks ago. I have been told by other team members that I was doing a decent job with pushing and pulling items. The last time I worked The backroom ET he told me to finish stocking 5 carts of items in less than 2 hours before my shift ends in sporting goods/toys/grocery/kitchen. I managed to finish 4 out of the 5 carts by the end of the shift. However, the ETL wasn't happy with it. He immediately walked me into the office room where you can see yourself being recorded on camera. He started blaming me and saying that I wasn't fast enough. He said that some of the other hires were doing better than me and made no mistakes. He also started cursing on camera saying "horseshit" and the ETL even said "I'm an asshole" on camera. The ETL also said while being recorded that he fires 70% of the new hires for the backroom within 90 days because they're not up to his standard. He said he would only give me only one more shift working near electronics in one week and that I should ask the electronics ETL for a department transfer. He said if I'm not up to speed in the next shift he will fire me from the backroom, however, I know he'll fire me no matter what I do. He said he would update the online schedule for the shift he promised and he hasn't.

Any advice on how to deal with this?

Go to HR..

Yeah go to HR

But he's allowed to fire anyone for any reason within their 90 days, it's shitty

giphy.gif

Would you like to work in electronics? I'd maybe take him up on that offer and switch work centers. He sounds like a nightmare to work with, and neither HR nor the hotline is going to make him not a total asshole, and if he does have the history and they've done nothing about him, the rest of your store leadership sucks, too.

I'd start applying elsewhere. Sometimes your boss just sucks and isn't going to change.

So you're saying an ETL-LOG pulled you into the AP office to coach you all while being insulting? (Not sure what office has a public view monitor if that's what you're referring to). Not sure I believe this one..

Oh man, infront of the camera? He called you all those awful names. I think you should call a lawyer and sue target. I mean its on tape, and since we live in Butthurtistan, no tough talk should be tolerated.

Last edited:
Oh man, infront of the camera? He called you all those awful names. I think you should call a lawyer and sue target. I mean its on tape, and since we live in Butthurtistan, no tough talk should be tolerated.
I wondered if I had read that correctly.

Crappy leadership is here to stay. Honestly, this is the new normal. Get out of Target if you can.

Asants, any of the leaders at my store talking like that to a TM would get fired quicker than you can say "payroll is tight everybody go home"

Your story may be true or not true. Hell would freeze over before any of my store leaders spoke those words to anybody. They might be thinking it but they ain't saying it, lol

I'm going to start with the fact that you might not know some of the right descriptors for the situation you were in.
Were you in the back office were the ETLs meet or the back room where the work is done?
If it was the back room, yes there are cameras but (correct me if I am wrong AP TMs) most of them do not record sound.
All they would have seen was you and the ETL talking.

On to the gory details, he does have the right to let you go for any reason during your trial period.
I'm willing to believe there are awful people in positions of power in some stores.

Folks have given good advice about going to HR.
When you do, keep everything to the facts, try to keep emotions out of it, make sure you write everything down first and get the descriptors down.
Don't worry about the cameras.
Don't let this man bully you.

I don’t understand how the ETL is bullying this TM by coaching him/her? The ETL gave the TM some tough talk. What am I missing here?

You could pick the 5 worst backstock carts in history and theres no way it would take 2 hours to backstock them. A health and beauty cart is as bad as it gets and those only take 15 minutes a peice

Three things....

1. The only offices that has cameras that record are the AP and cash office. I doubt they pulled you in either of those for a talk.

2. AP offices, in my experience don’t have public view monitors. Cash offices do, but again I doubt they pulled you in that office.

3. Target doesn’t audio record. It’s not really practicable to do so. And in most states it would be illegal anyway.

Also if your under 90 days they can let you go for any reason pretty much. It’s a probationary period.

Last edited:
Three things....

1. The only offices that has cameras that record are the AP and cash office. I doubt they pulled you in either of those for a talk.

2. AP offices, in my experience don’t have public view monitors. Cash offices do, but again I doubt they pulled you in that office.

3. Target doesn’t audio record. It’s not really practicable to do so. And in most states it would be illegal anyway.

Also if your under 90 days they can let you go for any reason pretty much. It’s a probationary period.
Inner ap office has the monitors... if this guy is dumb enough to swear at a tm he's dumb enough to bring them there.

I'm guessing they meant pull/ push/ bs not just backstock. Two hours could be unreasonable for that. It depends on many things.

Call hr. In the meanwhile do not go into a room with any tl without a third person present. At this point I'd push to add a fourth, a tm who can be trusted to keep their mouth shut but not lie about what was said if apbp/hrbp gets brought in.

If the transfer is still available GO. Don't look back, and watch your toes till this etl transfers or leaves.

You could pick the 5 worst backstock carts in history and theres no way it would take 2 hours to backstock them. A health and beauty cart is as bad as it gets and those only take 15 minutes a peice
Depends on how much is in there. I've had several Saturdays in a row where the chemicals/HBA/paper reshop is in a regular red guest cart and damned near full, and IF I was able to work on it solid, without guests, going back to the lanes, etc, I might be able to finish it in 2 hours. Maybe. And of course it's all just dumped in, not sorted in any way so you have to keep walking back and forth across the block.

I don’t understand how the ETL is bullying this TM by coaching him/her? The ETL gave the TM some tough talk. What am I missing here?

I worked in kitchens with chefs who swore at the staff and even threw things at us.
Back then it was perfectly acceptable.
'Tough talk' isn't even acceptable from a Drill Sargent in the military anymore (they can certainly yell at you but certain types of swearing are against the rules).
So I don't know how old this ETL is, maybe he is from a an older generation and never got the message that things have changed or he is a college jock who enjoys belittling people.
As someone who had to put up with a lot of that management technique, I can say it was crap then and it is crap now.

Keep calm and work on the transfer. Work to the best of your abilities. A couple of days have passed, have you interacted w this guy since and what was it like? It’s hard to work under pressure but sometimes that’s the deal. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back