Archived Backstock % Driving me crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

Looking for a little advice. I've been Log/Instocks-TL for just over 1 year now and generally all our scores are solid green except Backstock % we are a low volume store.
The only thing that is holding us back on being Solid green for Backroom and Replenishment is our backstock % and i'm getting pressure from above to achieve this.

Ordinarily our trucks are around 2300 pieces 3 times a week with 18 people on Flow and between 2 or 3 BR early morning team members including myself. pulls drop in around 4.10am we are usually done with pulls around 5.30am. Then onto backstocking.

The last couple of weeks we have been so close to green like 79.55% but we have so much trouble getting that 80%

My backroom early morning guys 1 usually leaves at 7.45/8.45 and I usually have one stay till 12.30.
My Backroom day guy comes in at 8am but usually their to busy doing instocks pulls, suspect out date audits, taking guest calls and then CAF's at 11 to help with truck backstock.

In the mean time I help backstock as much as I can but also have to follow up with my instocks team and do all the other TL BS.

I know how to read the reports and what comes under the backstock% but still can't get to green on a regular basis.

Any ideas? tips? tricks would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Your backstock % is the percent you backstocked and what the system had as backstock. Some key areas to focus on are chemical, pets, paper and diapers. Every carton needs to be sto'd even if they are going into the same location. There will be some days you miss it if you are holding transition pallets in receiving. Pipo pallets count as one carton but some pets need a qty and it is those you will have to scan each bag into location.

Your backstock % is the percent you backstocked and what the system had as backstock. Some key areas to focus on are chemical, pets, paper and diapers. Every carton needs to be sto'd even if they are going into the same location. There will be some days you miss it if you are holding transition pallets in receiving. Pipo pallets count as one carton but some pets need a qty and it is those you will have to scan each bag into location.

I'm usually good about over seeing transition pallets to make ensure that no "backstock" is mixed in with it. Usually pipo pallets are Push ALL which are not counted in the backstock %. Is there anyway of knowing what the system has designated as back stock?

As I understand it

Transition
Assortment cartons
Repacks
Push All

Are all not included in the backstock to be completed with 24HR's of acknowledging the truck

The pallets that come directly from the truck we have no problem getting backstocked before 9am, and you have 24 hours to ensure all the backstock is completed.

I have a suspicion that they are not accurately scanning the truck and sending to much to the floor. How does the system work out of the merchandise sent to the floor what should be backstocked?

I'm usually good about over seeing transition pallets to make ensure that no "backstock" is mixed in with it. Usually pipo pallets are Push ALL which are not counted in the backstock %. Is there anyway of knowing what the system has designated as back stock?

As I understand it

Transition
Assortment cartons
Repacks
Push All

Are all not included in the backstock to be completed with 24HR's of acknowledging the truck

The pallets that come directly from the truck we have no problem getting backstocked before 9am, and you have 24 hours to ensure all the backstock is completed.

I have a suspicion that they are not accurately scanning the truck and sending to much to the floor. How does the system work out of the merchandise sent to the floor what should be backstocked?

I know ULV stores can be a challenge, but I would say when dealing with these truck issues to be very careful to not get too numbers focused! Remember, the reason for the report is to make sure the trucks are coming clean with 24 hours, so that the next days logistics process has no spillover! If your truck and backstock actually comes 100% clean, then the number will follow! If the number is green, but your truck doesn't come clean on all backstock... that is a reason for concern! Scanning the truck may be an issue, but is questionable as if it is the actual reason your backstock % is low... however, it could be a contributing factor?

I would be willing to bet you are running into the problem we had with our staged or "trapped" transition. Most stores trap (or keep un-located) any pre-tied transition for the plano team to come grab easily when they set an area. Those are the ones with a salesfloor location on the pick label of "TA17 (1) 3-4-2" for example. The "T" in front of the salesfloor location means that it has been pre-tied to that location. When this is scanned in the Push application it qualifies as something that needs to be backstocked into a location inside of the 24 hour window. Most stores do not put those into a location but simply stage them off to the side, un-located. This hurts your Bacstock % score pretty badly since that pre-tied transition can sometimes be 300 pieces of the total 500 pieces of backstock you get off of that truck!

The way to get around it is to train your scanner in the truck to NOT scan any boxes coming down the line with the "T" in front since they will be grabbed and staged anyway. This will bring down your AutoPush compliace % slightly but that score isn't factored into anything anyway. Remember to backstock ALL items that are NOT pre-tied so that they will be easily located by your plano team when they fill the floor after they set.

The instant we began doing this in my process we saw our Backstock % in the high 90's the next week and every week since.

I would be willing to bet you are running into the problem we had with our staged or "trapped" transition. Most stores trap (or keep un-located) any pre-tied transition for the plano team to come grab easily when they set an area. Those are the ones with a salesfloor location on the pick label of "TA17 (1) 3-4-2" for example. The "T" in front of the salesfloor location means that it has been pre-tied to that location. When this is scanned in the Push application it qualifies as something that needs to be backstocked into a location inside of the 24 hour window. Most stores do not put those into a location but simply stage them off to the side, un-located. This hurts your Bacstock % score pretty badly since that pre-tied transition can sometimes be 300 pieces of the total 500 pieces of backstock you get off of that truck!

The way to get around it is to train your scanner in the truck to NOT scan any boxes coming down the line with the "T" in front since they will be grabbed and staged anyway. This will bring down your AutoPush compliace % slightly but that score isn't factored into anything anyway. Remember to backstock ALL items that are NOT pre-tied so that they will be easily located by your plano team when they fill the floor after they set.

The instant we began doing this in my process we saw our Backstock % in the high 90's the next week and every week since.

Hmm that is pretty interesting actually :p

It is my understanding that Transition, Repacks, Assortment cartons do not count for the backstock % regardless of whether it is scanned or not? So this is not the case? Our scanner usually does scan the Transtion cartons then marks them with an S for Stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back