Archived Bad Training

Status
Not open for further replies.

evh16

GSA
Like another post I read recently, I'm new to BR but not to Target.

Anyway, I've been with Target a while and recently got a promotion. My training at my store seems it has always left something to be desired. (For me personally.)

Luckily, I was able to pick most of it up quickly. But with this promotion, it seems I've technically had the job for weeks and I haven't learned anything. and my new position requirements are different than sales floor or cashier, without getting too specific.

I've talked to my etl and hr about it and they said ''oh don't worry. you'll get it.''

But they don't get that no one is really showing me anything beyond stuff I already know.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I haven't expierenced this before but I will add that we're here to help if you have any questions. I was in backroom for over a year before I was promoted to receiver so I'll be more than glad to answer any questions you have.

Here are some threads too that would help.
Backroom Day
Backroom

I haven't expierenced this before but I will add that we're here to help if you have any questions. I was in backroom for over a year before I was promoted to receiver so I'll be more than glad to answer any questions you have.

Here are some threads too that would help.
Backroom Day
Backroom

Oh sorry! I meant BR as in breakroom.org, not back room at a store. sorry for confusion.

It has happened to me also. I was sales floor tl and moved to gstl. I never trained with anyone or even had a shift that overlapped with another gstl, they said there was no payroll. Now they expect me to cover lunches and breaks for starbucks and food ave without any training. I don't know the health and cleaning standards, how to cook the food, and don't really know the register. It bothers me that they get angry at me because I don't know those areas, but refuse to give me time to train over there.

That's pretty crazy since NONE of our GSTLs/GSAs are FA/SB trained.
To handle food or drinks over there would require you to at least have taken a food handler's quiz (temps/times, use of utensils/gloves, etc). What would leadership do if you were 'covering a break' & Steritech walked in? Talk about an instant FAIL!

That's pretty crazy since NONE of our GSTLs/GSAs are FA/SB trained.
To handle food or drinks over there would require you to at least have taken a food handler's quiz (temps/times, use of utensils/gloves, etc). What would leadership do if you were 'covering a break' & Steritech walked in? Talk about an instant FAIL!

At my store, all the GSTLs and GSAs know how to do in the food service areas is run the register and they don't cover breaks (except one GSA who used to work in Starbucks).

It all comes down to manpower and hours.
You can't train people properly if you don't allot enough of both.
Spot has a haphazard approach to the whole concept.
They want the best possible results with the least possible investment.

This. Believe me, you're not the only one who's been through this.

Depending on what you do, you can take some of the certification tests without a trainer on workbench. That will help your training meter in the end.

They like to stick me in FA to cover breaks, etc. You want me to cover a 15? Sure, I can ring people up and put pizza in the oven. I don't like it, but I'll assist where business needs dictate.

On the other hand, I was asked to take a few closing cafe shifts awhile back. No way, Jose! My ETL told me that I would "just have to put pizza in the oven and serve hotdogs/pretzels". I called shenanigans. We have such a strict cleaning routine that must always be followed at night, in addition to the fact that I have absolutely 0 learning plans keyed for food service. I wasn't going to put myself into an awkward situation that would potentially lead to a coaching conversation because I screwed something up, when I didn't know what I was doing in the first place.

We ended up closing cafe early on those nights, as nobody else would/could pickup those shifts. :senile:

You aren't trained in food safety in FS?

Get trained and if need be, get a food handler's license because the store can be heavily fined.

On the other hand, I was asked to take a few closing cafe shifts awhile back. No way, Jose! My ETL told me that I would "just have to put pizza in the oven and serve hotdogs/pretzels". I called shenanigans. We have such a strict cleaning routine that must always be followed at night, in addition to the fact that I have absolutely 0 learning plans keyed for food service. I wasn't going to put myself into an awkward situation that would potentially lead to a coaching conversation because I screwed something up, when I didn't know what I was doing in the first place.
We ended up closing cafe early on those nights, as nobody else would/could pickup those shifts. :senile:
Talk about setting up for FAIL....
Bullet dodged.

Training is definitely an opportunity at most stores. As far as the br goes, take a second with your tl and ask...

are we getting everything that needs to get done daily completed? is there anything extra you think I should be working on? Tell them you are available and willing to learn more about the logisitic process and would be glad to take on something new if there is anything else you could help out with each day.

Maybe they need someone to start the audits in the morning, or drive the Ptm process with the backroom relay. We often divide up our dayside team and have each member 'in charge' of something specific.

Sorry everybody, when I said "BR" I meant breakroom.org, not back room. I don't work in the back.

Thanks for the advice though. It applies just as well in the general sense to the rest of the store.

Sorry everybody, when I said "BR" I meant breakroom.org, not back room. I don't work in the back.

Thanks for the advice though. It applies just as well in the general sense to the rest of the store.

We do have training guides for most areas of spot. Which area do you need training in? Our stuff beats spot most of the time & does show up on workbench every now & then. We are not a official spot site, but glad to help.

My training has been getting a little better lately. It just felt like I was completing my learning plan on my own. Even the HR-TL was amazed at how much of it I was just left to go thorugh and do myself.

Yeah. My cash office training was great, but my GSTL training leaves much to be desired.

They are currently training me for guest services. Only they don't have the hours. So I've been begging the GSA/GSTL to go over there for 30 minutes here and there as we've had the time (hasn't been much). Well....then last night, they had a call in at guest services and no one to cover it. So when I got there, I got another hour of crash course training, a promise from my GSTL and LOD that they would help me if I had questions and off I went. And now I'm covering back-ups, lunches and such. I think they'd like to get the hours to have me back there for a full shift with someone to cover my back before throwing me on the schedule. It's a bit scary, but I've been doing a dance of joy to see the end of the light of all cashiering all the time.

Yeah. My cash office training was great, but my GSTL training leaves much to be desired.

I'm really glad you said this. Our GSAs don't do cash office...so for a few posts, I thought you were the GSA in my store they have done this to! Poor thing had her first GSA shift the day before her training was officially to start....and I'm not sure if it's officially started, but she's still covering shifts.

Well this is awkward.

tumblr_lnp6ngKGMR1qbjxm7.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back