Archived Be honest, do you hate working at Target?

• Thread starter Guest
  • Start date
  • Replies 53
  • Views 10K

Do you hate working at Target?

• Yes

Votes: 24 24.2%
  • No

Votes: 75 75.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do I hate the job? No.
Do I hate the corporate culture they push? Kind of.

I don't hate the job because like @DoctorWho I feel like I'm at the store with the best team in the district all around, and most of the guests are low-maintenance.
When you have your ETL-GE and frankly the rest of the leadership calling people dumbasses and sympathizing with you instead of "just vibe more" it makes it much more bearable.

I dont know if "hate" the right word but I dont like working at target but I do since I get hours and it pays bills. In my 1st 2 years, I enjoyed working at Target. In the past 3 years, everything has gone down the toilet. They cut hours and expect more and more out of us. The ETL dont treat us with respect and they want to only make themselves look better.

Example of their BS in my opinion. I work in pfresh and I closed last night. My store is a high B/low A is sales and we had only 2 hardlines closers (3 total all day). Their reason for this "we had to cut hours because we used a lot to prepare for a visit". As some of you know, in p fresh at night, we have to clean, cull open air, zone coolers and freezers plus fill any holes that are high sellers. Plus we usually zone 8 aisles of dry market. With these "normal" requirements, I can never get the freezer zone done and I barely get the dry zone done. So yesterday, I was asked to do all of dry market. That is 40 aisles of dry market with 8 4 feet section per aisle. I knew it was impossible to complete But the 2 LOD were like "you have to get it all done" & told them I'd do what I can. I had to not doing the backroom cleaning to make up for the extra work I had to do. I ended up getting up to c25 (pfresh is C1 to c13 & c50). When I told the lod this, he was like "you disappoint me".

So yeah, stuff like that has made me hate target

I don't really hate working there because my fellow team members are just awesome and they help make my shifts go by faster. I think of it as every job is going to have it's good side and it's not so good side. There are some people I would rather not have to interact with and it is hard being that I haven't had to do retail for years, but I think the people are really what makes it not so horrible. When it all comes down to it I have a job the end. There is one ETL though that I absolutely cannot stand because her mood changes at the drop of a hat so you never know with her, but everyone else is great!

I didn't hate the job.
The work I did could be frustrating and very challenging but by in large I enjoyed it.
My coworkers, at least the hourly ones, were very cool and worth spending the day with.
Even a good number of the bosses were decent and tried to do a good job.

That said the corporation has serious issues and made the job much more difficult than it ever needed to be.
Some of the managers were not only bad, they were incompetent.
When faced with challenges to their world views their solution was to strike out.

It gives me a place to go a few days a week. I did not like it when the ETL was treating me like ca-ca. Things are better now in that respect..
It's not the best job I have ever had, but it's not the worst either. At that one I spent my time counting how many seconds were in an hour, subtracting one, doing it numerous times then comparing the seconds to my watch to see if it matched. I did that for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week until I found a different job. It took 4 months.

I would say no. Like other people have said, it has its moments, but what do you expect from a retail job? I consistently get 40 hours a week so there isnt much more to ask for. I am only there to make money. Being negative and hating your job only makes your life there more miserable, a self fulfilling prophecy i shall say. People piss me off daily, but at the end of the day I know I am getting a paycheck so I just stick through it till I can put my college degree to use.

I hate working in retail, but if I have to, I'd rather do it at Target. yes, there are serious issues with the company, yes the pay sucks. but I still blame that more on retail. both stores I've worked at have been full of the best people, who make my job enjoyable and who I genuinely look forward to seeing every day I go in. my team (okay, ETL aside) feels like a team.

plus we sell awesome stuff and I like buying awesome stuff so.

I just started working at target but from what i've read on this forum, i feel lucky because everyone has been extremely helpful, nice and friendly. taking time out of whatever they're doing to lend me a hand. I like it, i love the 15min breaks plus lunch time, i get out on time, right when i'm supposed to (unlike my other job, i would be scheduled to 5-6pm but i'd be getting out 3hrs later). I only work in the backroom and plan of keeping it that way for a while and from what i've seen with other br tm at the store i work at, they don't make you work on other departments, unless of course you want to. Hours could be better, but for now, i'm liking target a lot, pay could definitely be better ;)

I don't hate the job itself, most everyone has been nice to me.... but... I hate the schedules so much. No rhythm or reason to it, hours all over the place, no work life balance as promoted upon hire.

I would never work at a job I didn't mind doing.

I cleaned shit from a toilet today.

Big whoop.

It was kinda smelly, at first.

No I don't hate working for target. Kind of a waste of time to work somewhere you hate...however I do get annoyed with LODS not doing a damn thing about stuff and with cashiers that take 30 min breaks. And then stand around and talk the whole time.

I thought about it and I voted no. It's a decent part time job while I'm taking college classes, but if I were still working here after college, I'd go insane.

I hate it but I guess since I still work there I sadly tolerate it. I mainly hate it because I get no joy or satisfaction or anything from it other than a check. I also hate it because it's not what I want to do. I didn't do go to college and graduate and study my hairy rump off in high school and college to be a minion at Target. I just thought I would be doing something better and something that would make me happy at this point of my life. I don't like being a "servant for retail" or a "minion". I live with a lot of regret, shame, anger, and sadness. Yeah, I know I'm a Debbie downer. And I know I'm probably dumb for continuing to work at Target but I'm a very stubborn place and basically "stuck" in life right now. I also am going through a difficult time mentally. If you knew my mental state, you would probably run away. I just need to grow some balls or get some courage and leave Target forever.

There's more to life than retail.

Pays the bills. Once I pick up my apprenticeship though, I'll probably never walk into Target again in my life.

My experience isn't negative though. I don't hate walking in the door, or anything. Target and I just don't get belong together. We don't hate each other, we're just not made for each other, but we understand what has to be done to keep the other happy. Once I'm done with Target, I'm done with Target for good, and I believe I'm firm on that stance. Then again though, I refuse to work more than 8 months of retail, so... that also dents a lot of my want to be here.

Last edited:
I don't hate it in general. There are some moments when I'm completely overwhelmed where I think, god I hate this f*cking job, and those are admittedly becoming more frequent than they used to be... but I don't hate it completely. It's a lot easier now that I'm not working 40 hours a week anymore. I punch in, do what I can (which is never as much as I want to do), punch out, go home, work on things that are going to get me out of here.

I don't hate it. Although several times a day I do say to myself "I hate this place so much". Mostly I hate a bad zone. I certainly don't love it. But it pays the bills and I don't know what I'd rather be doing. So I stay.

I go through phases.

In the beginning I actually did enjoy it. But over time that has declined to what I'll call "tolerating it." It doesn't pay much, the ETLs micromanage, the work has gotten repetitive, and hours are hard to come by this time of year, but it beats not having a job.

Sometimes though, I really don't like it. Like when the 10th person that day has asked me for the location of something, and if they had spent another 20 seconds looking they would have found it (2 aisles away). I hate being assigned to market, because even though we'll have 2 or 3 PAs working at the same time as me, they're focused on their duties in PFresh and I'm left to do all the push for dry in a AA volume store. Even though the CAFs stop at 5, if I work an 11am-7:30pm shift, I usually won't finish and I feel bad having to tell the closing PA or LOD how much is left. People call out and I'm expected to pick up the slack (the worst example of this was during BTS 2014 when one day I had seasonal and B-block [cards/party, small appliances, kitchenwares] to push by myself). When the backroom TM tells me they can't pull something (busy with CAFs) or doesn't pick up the walkie at all, forcing ME to go pull it (not backroom certified, but oddly enough, trained on flexible fulfillment, so I understand backroom locations and know how to use SUBT). GSA calling for backup when the when it isn't really needed, etc.

Can you tell which phase I'm in right now? :)

I'm currently prepping my resume for other opportunities.

To not be such a Negative Nancy, I do enjoy my coworkers. They're all interesting people with cool stories and some of them seem happy, and frustrated by the same things as me.
Not to mention there are some very pretty girls I get to work with :cool:

No. I know we all complain about the technicalities and the issues with policy/procedure, but I honestly like my execs, STL, and my coworkers. I think if the environment was different I'd hate it because most days I've had it with people before I even clock in. Plus I'm tired and feeling lazy and I just don't want to close all the time lol but it's all my schedule usually allows; it is what it is. Overall, I feel like my store is very understanding and supportive.

No, but I do hate the half ass attempts by this company to save money. Broken and cheaply made software, shoddy planogram setups sent half finished and poorly measured, poor handling of logistics and expansion. Meanwhile the rest of us are being squeezed to death financially in the vain worship for efficiency while the very notion of efficiency, having specialized teams to handle specific workloads, are slowly withering away. Sorry, you can't run a kitchen with everyone being the Chef.

Expanding on my previous post if I made one idk.

I don't particularly hate it. Being brand TM is the closest I can be at this stage in my life to actually doing something which I guess has been a dream of mine: Running my own store. I mean, I don't want to run a big box retail store like Target. No, I want to run a cafe. Or a bookstore. Or really any small little store.

On topic though, I do particularly like the benefits of working at Target. Not the typical stuff you'd expect, like healthcare or retirement. Benefits that I take from the job are the seasonal candies oh dear christ they are amazing. I'm on my parents' healthcare since I'm still in college. Screw the open enrollment this year, I'll gladly take Hershey kisses or the Whoppers Robin Eggs. OR ARCHER FARMS. Goddamn, it's expensive (4.50 for a chicken salad) but it's so good.

Other than that, I am particularly annoyeod with the job because the stupid decisions we make. Things such as "COSMETICS REVISIONS IN JANUARY, NEW POGS IN MARCH" make no sense. The absolute lack of sending fixtures we actually need is annoying.

But, I have everything all set up. My department is good, for some reason, I like zoning the shampoo aisles because they always look AMAZING for a few days after I'm done. Whatever the POG is with the Dove and Pantene is finally mostly in stock and the stuff really doesn't move around much because people have shopped it gently recently. And on a side note. I want flow to stop fucking putting the Garnier Fructis shampoos and conditioners upside down.

http://www.target.com/p/garnier-fru...=medium_1_1&term=garnier+fructis+color+shield

http://www.target.com/p/garnier-fru...=medium_1_2&term=garnier+fructis+color+shield

Shampoo has the lid on top, conditioner on the bottom. STOP PUTTING THE SHAMPOO ON THE SHELF WITH THE LID DOWN. THERE'S NOTHING IN THE SPOT FOR SHAMPOO. YOU DON'T HAVE TO MOVE ANYTHING. THERE IS NO REASON FOR THIS. also I deepzoned that aisle last night you piece of shit stop messing it up

But the coworkers don't bother me, I have my friends. Management is fairly reasonable for the most part.

And on a side note. I want flow to stop fucking putting the Garnier Fructis shampoos and conditioners upside down.

Lol I ran into this last night when I was zoning HBA. Do they at least put them in the correct location?

The ones that bother me are the bonus packs because they don't fit correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back