Beauty/electronics TEAM LEAD position

Okay so quick question. Does your target store have new team leads? Like specifically for an area? Like beauty or electronics and so on..
I know we have the basic softlines hardline team lead and a VM but never for beauty or electronics. And if so are they going to raise your pay?

My store has a Beauty TL but she also has the Home Departments under her control. Basically a Beauty/Hardlines TL

As for Electronics. We used to have a separate TL way back in the day, but the Sr Hardlines TL runs it.

Currently TL for Hardlines and as of recently, Beauty. $55ish mil store. High risk. BTS freaky. Kill me.

Due to staffing and process issues, and the asshole guests who collectively return $30,000 a day sometimes, I spend my days as an overpaid flow TM/reshopper. That’s when I’m not spending hours a day backing up, or helping SFS.

As long as my ETL and STL continue backing me up knowing I literally spend 40 hours a week putting out fires and keeping things from imploding, it’s fine. But I sure am fucked if all of a sudden I’m held accountable for what they don’t give me the time and resources to do...

When beauty was added to my plate, I asked for a pay increase due to additional workload as well as taking on a sales/service/AP focus area. Denied. Told to succeed and that it could lead to my development being accelerated to ‘beat’ the new roles that come with modernization ie: being bumped to SrTL before they eliminate it so that I still get the pay when we are all ‘leads’.

Thought I was free from the carrot-dangling when I promoted out of electronics.

Last edited:
Tell more! I'm interested in the carrot dangling development you speak of! Really though I need real world examples of development!!
Currently TL for Hardlines and as of recently, Beauty. $55ish mil store. High risk. BTS freaky. Kill me.

Due to staffing and process issues, and the asshole guests who collectively return $30,000 a day sometimes, I spend my days as an overpaid flow TM/reshopper. That’s when I’m not spending hours a day backing up, or helping SFS.

As long as my ETL and STL continue backing me up knowing I literally spend 40 hours a week putting out fires and keeping things from imploding, it’s fine. But I sure am fucked if all of a sudden I’m held accountable for what they don’t give me the time and resources to do...

When beauty was added to my plate, I asked for a pay increase due to additional workload as well as taking on a sales/service/AP focus area. Denied. Told to succeed and that it could lead to my development being accelerated to ‘beat’ the new roles that come with modernization ie: being bumped to SrTL before they eliminate it so that I still get the pay when we are all ‘leads’.

Thought I was free from the carrot-dangling when I promoted out of electronics.

I mean, I get it. They do it because it gets results either way. They ask the impossible of you, with the promise of promotion, and somehow you deliver and it works out. Or you don’t deliver, and you’re stuck, but you busted ass trying. Or you end up being performance managed. I pulled it off last year and caught the carrot at the end of the stick, but it’s shitty, and I thought once I got TL I was done with that kind of thing.

Right now, what I need to do to be successful, is to juggle maintaining the brand in all of hardlines, maintaining positive comps, driving service and sales in cosmetics while reducing shrink, while having crazy low payroll and having to support other workcenters like flow, front end, and SFS. Would be fine if logistics could finish a goddamn truck instead of having the whole store myself included push it until 3pm. Doesn’t help that hardlines spends massive amounts of time backing up. Oh, and ship has 1000 items to pick and 2 TMs and goal time is approaching, looks like I’m picking for the rest of my shift.

Tell more! I'm interested in the carrot dangling development you speak of! Really though I need real world examples of development!!

Yes, I was a Senior GSTL and now I'm Beauty/Tech lead. No raise, except for the annual merit increase.

haha man, if I had a dollar for every time my fellow Electronics TM says he wants the Electronics TL position to come back and run "the show" like in the 80s.
He's old and hopeful, meanwhile my store has no Sr. TL due to being termed and nobody wants that position so ETL-HR and ETL-Food have been teaming up to make everyone miserable.

Our group hasn’t modernized yet but our current head count already has a separate beauty TL and a separate electronics TL. We have 5 TLs for hardlines.

Okay so quick question. Does your target store have new team leads? Like specifically for an area? Like beauty or electronics and so on..
I know we have the basic softlines hardline team lead and a VM but never for beauty or electronics. And if so are they going to raise your pay?
Currently 14 leads at my store

We only have 1 TL for the whole sales floor, although our VMT sometimes acts like a leader when she not. This TL was our GSTL until the previous SF TL quit or was fired (not sure which). Even at small volume store like mine I think running the entire floor is too much and that is why the last TL left. It also doesn't help that we have another dumb blond for an ETL over this area.

itsajob

We have a TL for Electronics/Toys/Sporting Goods. We also have a TM in beauty who gets the responsibilities of being a TL, but not the title (or pay). She does get close to 40 hrs. each week so sort of a perk I guess.

explains why our leads are playing musical chairs again, except this time GSTL is in high demand (for god knows what reason)
We Had moved our second GSTL off of the front end, but were told with the new focus on service (especially with us rolling out the trailer sort and stock process ) that there should be two leaders on the front end

During a meeting last week, we were told that the "role" of LOD was dissolved. Each TL is responsible for the LOD "duties" of their own Team. In that same meeting, we were told that more TLs will be added to our Leadership Team. Due to Modernization, and the emphasis on "selling" departments; I can only assume that there will be a Beauty/Tech TL, and possibly a TL for Home.

Depending on your store volume and your Org chart...ASANTS...Funny thing though was I got a glimpse of "a" Org chart and the listed positions really didn't make sense. I saw a Food & Bev position and a Food service position. At this store there is a TL that manages the market area, used to be target cafe and of course the people that make the drinks at the store (SB). Can anyone explain what's the difference in responsibilities for the 2 above listed positions?

Depending on your store volume and your Org chart...ASANTS...Funny thing though was I got a glimpse of "a" Org chart and the listed positions really didn't make sense. I saw a Food & Bev position and a Food service position. At this store there is a TL that manages the market area, used to be target cafe and of course the people that make the drinks at the store (SB). Can anyone explain what's the difference in responsibilities for the 2 above listed positions?
Food and bev is market team and food service would be target cafe.

Beauty and Tech TL got dissolved in the new OP model. It was announced last week.

This is true, although we've basically known for quite a while it was going away. Looks like higher volume or lower volume will probably still keep some sort of Specialty Lead or Leader to handle those 2 departments and Style.

We Had moved our second GSTL off of the front end, but were told with the new focus on service (especially with us rolling out the trailer sort and stock process ) that there should be two leaders on the front end

I believe most stores should have 3 in the new rollout. They'll be emphasized much more on the sales floor, that was my takeaway from all the training as of recent for the new Truck process.

I believe most stores should have 3 in the new rollout. They'll be emphasized much more on the sales floor, that was my takeaway from all the training as of recent for the new Truck process.

Two Service and Engagement Leads is the default for low and medium volume stores. High volume might get a third one though in their org chart.

Our veteran Reciever became the Beauty/Electronics TL. Her time mostly allocated in Electronics and is only in HBA when none of the 3 TMs are scheduled. Also see her helping Flow team once in awhile. Meanwhile 3 other TMs try to run her former job.

Two Service and Engagement Leads is the default for low and medium volume stores. High volume might get a third one though in their org chart.
The idea is that GSAs will run the lanes and service and engagement leads own ‘service’ throughout the store. Problem is, no one at my store is dumb enough to make the lateral move to GSA lol

Back