Archived Been Planning to Leave

Status
Not open for further replies.

RunForACallBox

General Merchandise Expert (Stationery)
I remember I used to love going to work. Wake up everyday ready to go. Now after 7 years... I absolutely dread it. Wishing I could get every shift covered every week. Hoping to get sick, something. That’s not healthy. I finally hit my end point back in April when I had a melt down and went in my office to cry and sobbed on the phone to my ETL and almost put in my two weeks the next day with nothing lined up and finally started putting in applications after saying for a while I was going to. I always hoped things would get better. I’m no longer hopeful things will. To be honest, I hate modernization, feels like the company has no idea what it’s doing and I’ve never seen Spot so inefficient. My STL is a micromanager from hell. I don’t even feel like a TL anymore. Nothing we do she likes, we can’t please her. Leadership at my store is stupid as I’ve ever seen it besides my ETL. At this point I’m a high paid team member. That’s not why I became a TL. Unfortunately it’s July and I still haven’t had any calls or emails. I just felt like starting this thread for myself and will update as hopefully things look up for me. You feel it when your time is done and it’s time to go.

“My STL is a micromanager from hell. I don’t even feel like a TL anymore. Nothing we do she likes, we can’t please her. Leadership at my store is stupid as I’ve ever seen it besides my ETL. At this point I’m a high paid team member. That’s not why I became a TL.”

I hope things work out for you. Working with your STL must be absolute Hell.
I was in a similar situation with a micromanaging ETL who nitpicked everything, appreciated nothing and coached for minuscule errors. Working for Target was great until she became my ETL. I couldn’t do anything to please her, although I hadn’t had a problem with any of my other ETLs. None of the TLs were able to do anything right in her eyes, and our main function seemed to be to take the blame for any problems so Queen Bee would look good. She had no problem setting us up to fail and berating us where the team could hear it all. My colleagues and I endured this treatment until she made made coming to work a living Hell, and one by one we left. It wasn’t worth it anymore. Leaving was the best decision I ever made, same thing for my colleagues. There is life after Target and I hope you find it. Good Luck! (If you want to stay in retail, I’ve heard that Home Depot is a good place to work).:)

I remember I used to love going to work. Wake up everyday ready to go. Now after 7 years... I absolutely dread it. Wishing I could get every shift covered every week. Hoping to get sick, something. That’s not healthy. I finally hit my end point back in April when I had a melt down and went in my office to cry and sobbed on the phone to my ETL and almost put in my two weeks the next day with nothing lined up and finally started putting in applications after saying for a while I was going to. I always hoped things would get better. I’m no longer hopeful things will. To be honest, I hate modernization, feels like the company has no idea what it’s doing and I’ve never seen Spot so inefficient. My STL is a micromanager from hell. I don’t even feel like a TL anymore. Nothing we do she likes, we can’t please her. Leadership at my store is stupid as I’ve ever seen it besides my ETL. At this point I’m a high paid team member. That’s not why I became a TL. Unfortunately it’s July and I still haven’t had any calls or emails. I just felt like starting this thread for myself and will update as hopefully things look up for me. You feel it when your time is done and it’s time to go.

I can completely relate to your story (although I don't cry), as I really enjoyed this job, that I was working this in addition to my other job, which is VERY well paying. I did the best I could, regardless of position, or pay. When I lost that desire, hunger, and passion to work to my fullest, I knew it was time to go. I held on a bit longer, but with this not being fun anymore, and my increasing responsibilities at my other job, I made a decision to leave. I hear that the TL position is terrible now, even with the raise.

I'm on my nine years and I'm completely burnt out. I don't have the urge nor passion to care anymore.

I have had 0 stress since I’ve transferred. My new ETL is a dumbass from Walmart but I just usually tune him out when he talks to me. We get left alone all day. No leadership bothering you except the occasional check in. It’s great. I had forgotten what it had all felt like.

I'm sorry to see other people in the same boat.
I really liked this job, liked my team, and tolerated my bosses just fine. It worked well for my schedule and my family, and while stressful, I didn't feel like I took it home with me.
Now I also find myself sobbing in the office way too frequently on my breaks about the workload and atmosphere of the store, but also dreading the day (they won't tell me when, of course) when I'll be out of work due to their pointless changes.
I really wish stepping down was an option for me, because the stress of the job and the stress of all the rejection involved in looking for a new one is killing my health.

Congrats on finding something that works for you, and I truly wish you the best of luck.

That sounds like heaven at Target.
I told my team leader about possibly taking a leave sometime in the next month or two to focus on my business. I just re-designed, re-branded my car detailing business and I've got word out about services being available sometime mid march. I've had no takers to contact me and ask about potentially setting up a future date in the next month or so, but I have a feeling once temperatures rise and I'm officially back in business, I will get a few customers.

I'm worried because just starting out I'm not gonna have a lot of customers, so realistically I should stay at Target and work minimal hours, but my ETL and team leader do NOT want that. Working at target really held me back last year. It made me ignore my clients, made me cancel appointments because I just wasn't having a good day after work and the last thing I wanted to do was wash a car, Target made me dead. Too dead to even rake in $1000 a week. I hate myself for this, which is why I feel I need to just take a leave all together for a month or so and if business is slow I can come back and work minimal hours and Target will absolutely need to cater to that.

Done messing around. I'm glad your new store has worked out, and you feel much better being demoted. It must really suck to have to demote but new opportunities come along. It's a story all too similar that anyone can relate to... I don't want Target to be my career for as long as some people have admitted here. I am young, nineteen years old, and I have a lot more to give to myself and the world than give Target 15 years of my life. I've already given them three years too many. If we ever get to $15/hr at TM level, that may be enough to say "Schedule me, but no more than 30 hours a week." if business is slow. If I get the opportunity to make $1000 a week, to make more than $4000 a month doing my own business, yeah, I'll be returning in the winter months unless I make enough money by the end of the year to open my own car wash garage to continue business.

I'm extremely burnt out from Target at this point. A huge part of me says I really should just quit, no jobs lined up, find a way to make money through work like Shipt, or set up a Fiverr account and write things for other people's businesses. Product descriptions, voice over work, help them setup spreadsheets, turn their ideas into words you can read off a piece of paper, etc... at least I would be free. I've tried looking for new jobs and every time the one thing that stops me is "Fuck working for another guy or girl."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back