Archived Being forced to end my shift early? (rant)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobdole1889

Flow Team Member
So our store completed the pfresh remodel last month and we had a lot of extra hours given out. Our sales were, and still are, the highest for the size and region. However, once the extra hours were used up, people were still allowed to work late due to the insane work load on flow and everywhere else. We moved from a 4am, 4 day a week store to a 4am 5 days with double trailers every 2 weeks and grocery 3 days. Apparently we are now 400 hours over for what the payroll has to pay. Myself and several others were told to leave our shifts early today because there is not enough hours/money to pay us. Also, team members are being called and asked to not show up for shifts. Salesfloor now has to finish working freight and pulls because most of the flow team must leave at 8, and with only 3 people on the line and 2-3 bowlers with an average truck of 2500, we have no hope. Our store went from being amazing, everyone mostly happy one week to now where there's loud arguments, cussing, and hate. I wouldn't be surprised if a fight breaks out in the next few days. How the heck does Target let this happen?

What was happening before shouldn't of been considered an all the time occurrence, tbh. More like an exception to the norm.

PPP. Piss Poor Planning. It happened to a smaller degree after the remodel at our store. Dig in, it will get worse before it gets better.

Actually, once they write out the schedule with you working a shift and post it...they can't force you to leave. The store can only ask you if you want to leave early voluntarily, or willing not to work a shift. If they are forcing people to leave early or not to work their shifts, they are in violation of labor laws.

Expect your store to get a visit from the DTL. If your store is wanting to cut hours by telling people not to come to work...the DTL is not going to be happy when they see the report.

Actually, once they write out the schedule with you working a shift and post it...they can't force you to leave. The store can only ask you if you want to leave early voluntarily, or willing not to work a shift. If they are forcing people to leave early or not to work their shifts, they are in violation of labor laws.

Yes they can make you leave early and for the love of God please stop trying to make everything into a law. We can and we do send people home to make payroll.

Yes they can make you leave early and for the love of God please stop trying to make everything into a law. We can and we do send people home to make payroll.

This is true in many cases however, laws in some states require you to get paid for the entire time or part of the time. The fact is because of state laws the ways things can and are done from state to state can be very different.

My understanding is that Spot says you get at least 3 hours of your shift no matter what, even if the store is closed down for bad weather, so they have to find something for you to do.
I know there are folks who will argue it isn't in your best interests to fight for those 3 hours but having the bosses send you home when they scheduled you to be there is flat wrong, so fighting for yourself is worth the repercussions.
Besides if everyone on the staff did the same thing might see better scheduling.

The exact same thing happened at my store in April. I was in the breakroom with 5 execs and the STL talking about how they were given an extra 400 hours to use for the remodel and after we used them they told us we were 400 over and needed to cut drastically. Went from 40 hrs a week to 24 and TL's got 30-32. This took place in New England so I'm wondering if someone is screwing up in my region.

Are you trying to troll. I only mentioned labor laws once.

The stores I worked at...once they post the schedule...you are guaranteed those hours. They can't make you leave early. They can ask you to leave early...but you have the choice.

Are you trying to troll. I only mentioned labor laws once.

The stores I worked at...once they post the schedule...you are guaranteed those hours. They can't make you leave early. They can ask you to leave early...but you have the choice.

Just ignore him... He has already established himself as a "flame war" starting troll... Just disregard anything he has or ever will say...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back