Archived Being global...

Status
Not open for further replies.
ever feel like sometimes being global is a bad thing?? I mean it's awesome for when there are shifts to pick up, but lately I've got other tm's asking me just what I do because I am literally all over the store. In the past few months, I've had about 4 maybe 5 shifts in my workcenter (hl/sf).
Anyone else have this problem?

I been in situations where I was shifting positions so frequently in just one shift that I've ended up helping the same guest in several completely different areas of the store, and they've asked me if I'm the only person works here!

It does get a little awkward at times, but I think overall being global has far more benefits than drawbacks.

Last edited:
Haha yeah... I've had that happen as well ;) Helped the same guests at Photo, Sales floor, and rung them up. Lol.

Being global can have drawbacks if your management takes advantage of you like they did me. They will expect your high performance as a baseline and you get nothing for it. Then when you need something they just do whats in their best interests and not yours (aka nothing).

Haha yeah... I've had that happen as well ;) Helped the same guests at Photo, Sales floor, and rung them up. Lol.

Being global can have drawbacks if your management takes advantage of you like they did me. They will expect your high performance as a baseline and you get nothing for it. Then when you need something they just do whats in their best interests and not yours (aka nothing).

this is what's happening to me. It's gotten to where I have 2 or 3 tl's making my schedule and I have to check at the beginning of each shift to see what workcenter I'm in that day.

I was initially assigned Cashier/CA/FA/SD. Then I kept asking to be pushed to Hardlines & Electronics, and when they did I never got proper training or signed off on my new duties. Then when I applied for positions, one excuse I got was that I wasn't global enough.

When I started, I was hardlines. I got trained in electronics. I started picking up shifts and wound up training in fitting room and softlines. When I opened my availability (I started with just nights and weekends), I started getting shifts in presentation and price accuracy. I've been signed off in all those and in backroom. It's getting to where it's easier to say what I'm not signed off in than what I am. :)

ive witnessed this to my buddys who i work with at my store.. but as for me, im backroom and ONLY backroom i haven't done anything else in months!

being global is a good thing. it's good because it can help you jump up to a higher position. it can be bad for the reasons stated above. i think it will only be bad if you're good at all of it...but YMMV.

ive witnessed this to my buddys who i work with at my store.. but as for me, im backroom and ONLY backroom i haven't done anything else in months!

Smile & say I can do it! Grabbing swap swift for more hours..

im down for that but its hard because all ive been at target is strictly logistics, i havent been trained to do anything else besides flow and backroom/backroom day, i have no salesfloor/cashier knowledge other than how to stock the sales floor!

For the life of me, I cannot _get_ global. I keep getting Hardlines, Electronics, or Cashier shifts. CHANGE IT UP FOR GOD'S SAKE>

For the life of me, I cannot _get_ global. I keep getting Hardlines, Electronics, or Cashier shifts. CHANGE IT UP FOR GOD'S SAKE>

I've found the trick to getting more global is to take advantage of other department's desperation. If you see or hear of shifts available in another area, let the lod know you are willing to help out even though you not trained in that area (it helps if you are willing to jump into new things without much preparation--it shouldn't be like that but we all know how it is). They won't always say yes, but sometimes they will and you will quickly get a reputation for being adaptable and soon they will come to you asking you.

I love being global...it keeps things from getting boring. But I will say, I have refused to learn food ave or Starbucks even though the TL has mentioned it. I simply have zero interest, personally (sorry, red).

spider.. another thing that helps is to talk to the area tl. Let them know that you'd like to learn the work center so you could pick up shifts. both my softlinestl and the gstl's know that as long as i am not maxed out on hours I will pick up shifts from them.

I keep picking up shifts whenever I can. While I am cashier & guest service trained they only put me as a cashier. While I like to cashier more than I like Guest services, I would think that they'd be happy with scheduling me over at GS instead of giving me 3 days off a week and waiting for me to pick up shifts.

Oh well.....so life goes at Spot.

I'm cashier and sales floor trained but there are very few shifts on the swap shift board. Mostly because everyone else is in the same boat. Then when there are shifts posted they are either for the same days and times I'm already working or some area I'm not trained in (and usually have absolutely no desire to be).

Being global doesnt mean working throughout the store. Its more your awareness of issues and how doing something in market could affect another portion of the store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back