Benched

What does being benched mean? My ETLHR and ETL keep saying they wanna bench me, but I have no clue what that means 🤷‍♀️

@FrontEndBitch

Please carefully consider exactly what you are getting into before moving up. Each TL position is different. ASANTS, but TLs have a lot of stress. You may find yourself doing a lot of TM work on top of your TL work. Carefully consider if you will have enough time to do it all without backup/assistance.

Also, think about why the TL position opened up. Did the other TL leave because they couldn't handle the stress? If so, consider if that same stress will be worth it to you.

I am not telling you this to rain on your dreams, but I suggest looking both ways before you leap.

Good luck!

I can speak from experience about being a benched TM turned to TL. It's A LOT of proving yourself. TL work for TM pay is definitely a real thing, but don't allow them to milk you without them actually developing you in the process.

Also, think about why the TL position opened up. Did the other TL leave because they couldn't handle the stress? If so, consider if that same stress will be worth it to you.
This is also another factor you must think about. Talk to your TLs and ask them how it is on their side. You'd be amazed how different the dynamic is between TM and TL when it comes to ETLs, SDs, and DSDs.

The one thing I can say is good about being promoted from the bench is that you know how the workload truly is, you were in the trenches with your fellow TMs and you (hopefully) know the work inside and out. You will most likely be more prepared for an actual TL role as compared to some external Spot newbie. I come from backroom/fulfillment, and I was promoted to be the TL in the department I started in. I knew the successes and opportunities, the strongest and weakest links, workload, and all the moment I had that "TL" badge on the grids.

TLDR: Always aim to prove yourself and show them you can handle the stress, but also don't forget to be developed while you're benched. Understand the POV from a TM to be a better TL. Good luck!

My store is good at getting a TM to do at TL work for no extra pay.

If you have already worked there a least a year why do they need to "prove yourself" to management?

They surely know your skills, abilities, strengths, weaknesses, etc. by now.

My store is good at getting a TM to do at TL work for no extra pay.

If you have already worked there a least a year why do they need to "prove yourself" to management?

They surely know your skills, abilities, strengths, weaknesses, etc. by now.
If your store is good at getting TMs to do TL work, it honestly might just be your leadership team that needs a good ol' evaluation, to be honest.

A lot of things can change in a year. I would hope you were not the same person you were a year ago, as the goal is to always develop yourself to be better you. You need to prove yourself to management because they already have their perception about you. It's a lot easier to externally hire, but not knowing anything about them besides their name and what they tell you during the interview. All you have to do is ace the interview and show them why you should be hired, you could be making everything up for all they know.

Internal candidates face a different battle as they are pushing through the perception they were given by their leadership from the time they started to the moment they were put on the bench.

Yes, they know your skills, abilities, strengths/weaknesses and all that jazz. Just because they know how you are that doesn't mean they're going to throw the promotion your way. You need to prove yourself that you can handle it because if you fail, not only are you on the line, but they're on the line, too. A LOT of internal promotions, or hiring for that matter, gets discussed with the DSD and fellow ETLs. If an SD tells the DSD "Hey I found someone for the open TL spot. They're internal", the DSD isn't going to just say "okay great!". They're going to want to know why, what accomplishments have they made? Can they run the team? Are they respected? etc.

I was put on the TL bench because there wasn't a spot at my store open for me. They did the interviews and all that jazz and waited until a position opened up. The first one that did was the deli team lead and I took it because I was desperate. It's the reason I left target. It was not a great fit and my team was meh. One girl wanted me gone so she wouldn't explain the things she thought I was doing wrong.

I was put on the TL bench because there wasn't a spot at my store open for me. They did the interviews and all that jazz and waited until a position opened up. The first one that did was the deli team lead and I took it because I was desperate. It's the reason I left target. It was not a great fit and my team was meh. One girl wanted me gone so she wouldn't explain the things she thought I was doing wrong.
Sorry to hear that didn't work out. I understand that your store doesn't have an open position and your have to go somewhere else.

However you would never hire an EXTERNAL candidate this way.

No one would take a job without knowing what department they are in and their location OR when it starts.

I have had a couple of careers in my life (just turned 55).

My thought on job searches is after your final interview you should know WITHIN TWO WEEKS whether they want to hire you and give you a start date.

It seems lots of companies ASSUME that your a not looking for a new job anywhere else and can just string you along for weeks and months.

Back