Archived Best Practices?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So lately I've been "coached" (more like freaking harassed) about best practices and I'm wondering how strict other stores are about it. I guess our store always gets super strict about it right after Christmas, I hope they chill out soon. What's it like at your store?

Personally, I don't really remember being taught exactly what best practices is in my training, but I kind of go with the flow for the most part. Lately they've been down my throat about it, despite the fact I only work a few days a week and basically do whatever they ask. They have some high expectations that's for sure- they wanted the zone freaking perfect last week but wanted us to leave early. Psh. That didn't go over well- the zone ended up like crap.

Honestly, its all a learning experience and best practice (IMO) is pretty friggin important! If Target has decided something should be best practice company wide, then there is no good reason to not do it that way! As a TM its not your fault if you weren't doing it before (due to training issues) but once I taught it to you there is no reason for you to not follow it...

I'm not trying to say best practices is bad or not needed. I do best practices to the best of my abilities! I've just noticed its been pushed a ton lately and was wondering how other store go about it. :)

My store is so far off of most best practices it is completely laughable. Just remember best practice is a double edged sword. If a leader is starting to spout out things about best practice get on workbench (if you can) and pull up best practices for their work center. Within 5 minutes you'll be able to point out ten different best practices that they aren't following. And call them on it! If best practice was always strictly enforced store-wide I doubt there is a day that would go by that I couldn't have every TM in the store coached. All the way from the cart attendant to ETL's! I'm not sure which one they are hounding you about? So it may be legit or it could just be sh!t rolling down hill like normal and just hitting you lol. Either way there is nothing better than calling out someone above you for not following best practice because what can they say? Best practice is not an option it's the way corporate says it is to be done.

I think stores often use this slower time of year to regroup on things that have slipped and to get new best practices put into place. It is frustrating when there isn't the hours and the manpower to get the work done as it should be, so I guess I will just say do the best you can as you are able to and I wouldn't take any of it personally--I doubt it's intended that way.

First of all make sure you even know what the best practice is. And by "best practice" i mean what does your leadership think it is - because often they make up their own. Either way at the end of the day, you need to do it how they want it (right or wrong). So if you are ever confused - or even if you are not - ask them to explain it to you and make sure you are on the same page. If it is about timeliness ask for tips to get faster or more accurate. sometimes leadership used best practice as a way to "get" people since on the TM level, they often won't know any better and it is an easy write-up. So just cover your bases and don't assume you know - make sure.

I think of best practices like a foundation. Everything is depending that the process before it is followed. When you break the chain of best practice it eventually affects everything else.I know that certain stores like to "tweak" them for their stores. I think a lot of the tweaking are simply short cuts that stores do. In reality if you follow best practice you will save time in the long run.

Sadly most of the time because of poor communication nobody even knows what best pratice is, in particular when it changes. As someone above said what is best practice and what your leadership thinks it is often are at odds. Just ask them what they want and how they want it. Take the path of least resitance. And of course this being Target where training is just someone checking off somethings they never had time to show you, most people have no idea how things are suppose to be done.

Best Practice is the only thing that matters. Everything comes from best practice. You need to eat, sleep, live best practice. If you follow best practice then you will never have an issue with anything. Best practice are the rules. You love best practice! Best Practice!

That is until you follow it and for whatever reason your ETL then says it's just a suggestion on how to do things. o_0

If we ran our store according to best practices or safety standards then they would have closed the store down due to lack of business and people.

Best Practice at our store is doing what needs to be done in the allocated hours, everything past that is extra.

Since most of our retained holiday hires got their training in bits & pieces from a slingshot, they're going through culture shock learning how it's SUPPOSED to be done.
It would be fun to watch if it weren't so pathetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back