Stockroom Best Practices

From what I’ve gathered by the posts, it sounds like modernization has done away with crew who maintain the stockroom. So if we are to keep our stockroom in order ourselves, what are the best practices for backstocking, keeping things organized, etc...
I’d like to make a list or reference manual of “dos” and “don’ts” so that the whole team is on the same page.
Any suggestions?

Do:
- have all pick labels facing out when backstocking casepacks
- have all barcodes facing out when possible
- limit number of DPCIs in wacos (max of 4 perhaps)
- keep up with PC change pulls, you don't want valuable space taken up by salvage items!

Don't:
- backstock differing DPCIs in front of each other on upper shelves/bulk
- backstock casepacks/boxes w/o a barcode
- backstock similar items with differing DPCIs together
- mix fillgroups

ASANTS but our store is a three DPCI limit per Waco for softlines and try to keep items somewhat different ( shirt, pant, etc.) so items are easy to find. No different sizes of the same style.
and this may seem like common sense but a 10 pack of socks is one item not 10.

Do:
- have all pick labels facing out when backstocking casepacks
- have all barcodes facing out when possible
- limit number of DPCIs in wacos (max of 4 perhaps)
- keep up with PC change pulls, you don't want valuable space taken up by salvage items!

Don't:
- backstock differing DPCIs in front of each other on upper shelves/bulk
- backstock casepacks/boxes w/o a barcode
- backstock similar items with differing DPCIs together
- mix fillgroups

No cases in Waco locations.

Designate people to take out trash and sweep up the stockrooms each night, or nobody will do it.

Just found out today that stockrooms will be “boxless”. So I’m sure this will change things.

Should plastic be removed before backstocking? For example: markers come packed six within a plastic bag. I always remove plastic but I see a lot of backstock where items are still enclosed in plastic. What is best practice?

Should plastic be removed before backstocking? For example: markers come packed six within a plastic bag. I always remove plastic but I see a lot of backstock where items are still enclosed in plastic. What is best practice?

We leave them in the bags, just for cleanliness, its easier than rubber banding them together. Same with like stuff that is shrink wrapped, it keeps the six pack of hair spray together.

Downside is that when inventory comes along you need to strip all that stuff cause the counting company will count that as one item.

Last edited:
we usually keep wacos to three different dpci's but there are some areas that have four. No more than that though. Depending on the area we have product with the barcode facing out so its easy to scan and grab.

If we finish with our workload, we will help other team members if they need it but we sweep our area of the backroom first.

Replace broken WACOs as needed.
Replace BR labels for WACOs as needed.

ETA: As much as possible, keep the same DPCI in one WACO. aka don't scatter a single DPCI across multiple WACOs - easier to pull and keep the BR neat if items are condensed (and kept neat, not stuffed all crazy into a WACO)

I redid a crazy BR fillgroup that had numerous errors. Just by placing Large items in Larger WACOs (small items in smaller WACOs) & condensing as much as possible, I was able to clean the BR aisle up and not make it look all crazy and over stuffed.

Last edited:
Two types of stocking.
This is not reverse fill and is separate from 12 steps. Reverse fill and frankly 12 steps were invented/thought of in my group by my GVP. Reverse fill is when you scan an item in the backroom and if the floor+backroom doesn’t = on hands you pull (take) that item and bring it to the floor, update the capacity, salesfloor count then if there is any extra to backstock. If there is no backstock you can update on hands in audit and if there is backstock you have to wait until after you back stock to update on hands. 12 steps is still a different process. We’ve been doing 12 steps (previously 13) for years now.
Thanks
@gsa4lyfe

Should plastic be removed before backstocking?
I remove plastic. It's easier and quicker to pull the needed count when doing 1 for 1 pulls.
But I can see why it'd be good to leave the plastic on for clothing or textiles like bath towels, etc.

I've been thinking recently about how to better organize my back room area. It's in pretty good shape but I'd like inventory prep to be a lot easier this year and it seems like now is the time to start working toward that goal. Now the question is how to convince my coworker who shares responsibility in the area that it's something worth doing. I'm sort of a neat freak on organization stuff and she doesn't much care.

Should plastic be removed before backstocking

Depends on whether the plastic is doing anything useful (like keeping multiple items together, which I prefer when pulling or keeping something from getting dirty) or not (plastic around a box) and how much time I have to finish backstocking before the end of my shift.

Depends on whether the plastic is doing anything useful (like keeping multiple items together, which I prefer when pulling or keeping something from getting dirty) or not (plastic around a box) and how much time I have to finish backstocking before the end of my shift.

Real truth with this post.

I recently tried the end of life option in exf which pulls all salvage or discontinued items from the backroom . I found almost a smart cart of stuff from my two fill groups.

Back