modernization is dead

You can call bullshit on that all you want . But the fact and the matter is with a single no matter the size it shouldn’t be that much freight behind . Maybe the leadership doesn’t know how to strategize because if you have to leave truck behind so they can catch up on pogs , is because they leave everything to the last minute. I stand by what I say . Single truck stores shouldn’t have problems completing their workload . Any big transitions still belongs to Plano workload so is not like it’s added to the dbo. You plan your work ahead it should be fine , and continue to stay ahead .

Plano? What's that? Everyone in presentation is a DBO. When they get scheduled for Plano there's no one to push their freight.

Let me be the one to say that if you are a store that gets only single trucks , and maybe a double now and then. Then modernization should work perfectly. If the stores with single trucks hasn’t managed to make it work then the problem is the leadership and not modernization . When I say I twitched , I meant it in a scheduling . By moving certain team to different schedules . I moved p1 and market to come in at 4 am , that gives them time for their zone and 141. Inbound comes at 6 by 6:30 p1&market are already working truck. I have 5 sorters 1 unloader, doubles everyday and a triple on mondays. We have made it work , the changes were made when I realized that inbound at 4 and p1 at 6 wouldn’t work . But other than that the team is doing what target is asking them too.
I haven't been in a working position at Target but I still hear quite a lot. You're doing the same thing that many others have done. You've changed something that doesn't fit the modernization framework and you then say that means modernization works. If you can't make it work exactly as written, not a single detail changed, it doesn't work. And since many stores won't be able to brute force a change, you really can't say they can make it work when they don't have the means to break the rules and create anti-modernization like you have.

To say that it should work in stores like that is a bit far. The payroll is completely different and many of the stores like mine has gone from a store that did 35mill a few years ago to now 50mill. At this time last year, just before/ start of covid we would get 4 trucks a week. Now we are at a truck everyday. My store is up huge margins in every area. However payroll was so bad we wouldnt have enough hours to cover all areas each day. 4 hour shifts for almost all dbos. That being said ins not completely on modernization thats failing/ payroll is always tight at spot/retail. On top of that my store isnt even really failing per se like some other stores. Almost every store in my district has had to cancel trucks this month. I would say by the end of the week we should be caught up but we were on the brink of failure for almost a month. Strong leadership is key though. My store is basically the pace setter for all areas in the district. IDK how many districts are set up the way mine is but we are basically expected to be 100% perfect all the time and to be like we were for the last month or 2 was shocking.
Maybe I’m a bit off here . But I did go to several stores in my district to trained them on the new unload few months back . Most of the stores would get the 4 trucks a week . But I guess the only difference from what I saw in those stores and what I’m reading on here is that on non-trucks days the dbo doesn’t work . Which makes no sense since that would be the time to do salesplaners/revisions price change etc.
At the stores that I went 45mil dbos were scheduled 4.5 hours as well but like I said they worked on non-trucks days and they also had alternates for the days they were off. I also trained the inbound Tl who to utilize the team to push the area that had the most workload for the week , be it in pog setting , price change or freight wise. And I can say that it does with work partnership and I guess the biggest thing would be scheduling .

Last edited:
I haven't been in a working position at Target but I still hear quite a lot. You're doing the same thing that many others have done. You've changed something that doesn't fit the modernization framework and you then say that means modernization works. If you can't make it work exactly as written, not a single detail changed, it doesn't work. And since many stores won't be able to brute force a change, you really can't say they can make it work when they don't have the means to break the rules and create anti-modernization like you have.
I didn’t change anything . There is a reason why the guide left the inbound team just as that inbound . I do however support the dbos with their workload by having inbound push it. I don’t do they salesplaners or revisions and I don’t have the Plano experts do it either . Plano experts are in charge of all the transitions that are under Plano workload and not gm. I don’t do their price change and I don’t do their pulls . Changing their schedule from 6 am to 4 am was the thing that put them where they needed to be. But if you think that I completely disregard the guide let me tell you it is not the case .

Don't you have an extra person on the line? And isn't changing a time from standard also a change?
I have 5 sorters 1 unloader . The time was that p1 comes in at the same time with unload which was 4 am. Nowhere in the guide does it say that inbound can not be moved from 4 to 6 am . So the only move was inbound coming later .

Maybe I’m a bit off here . But I did go to several stores in my district to trained them on the new unload few months back . Most of the stores would get the 4 trucks a week . But I guess the only difference from what I saw in those stores and what I’m reading on here is that on non-trucks days the dbo doesn’t work . Which makes no sense since that would be the time to do salesplaners/revisions price change etc.
At the stores that I went 45mil dbos were scheduled 4.5 hours as well but like I said they worked on non-trucks days and they also had alternates for the days they were off. I also trained the inbound Tl who to utilize the team to push the area that had the most workload for the week , be it in pog setting , price change or freight wise. And I can say that it does with work partnership and I guess the biggest thing would be scheduling .
All stores have their challenges. We have 2 Plano experts left and one is 65 years old. They are slotted into fulfilment when workload is low. For most of 2019 my Supers Style payroll was at least 460-500 hrs including 2 to. Q4 was more like 600-625. We were 5 trucks. Ended fiscal year at 42 mil. Next fiscal year we lost hours every week despite smashing goals. 7 trucks a week for a year and several doubles. 50 mil fiscal. We are down to our lowest ever at 270 hours/week including to hours. We are STILL smashing comps and corporate goals, but we are so tired and struggling. We keep our trucks pushed clean and our metrics are green but our brand is suffering and I desperately need time to audit and reorganize all of our backroom.

No worries. Scheduling is definitely very important and really we would be set if we had one or two non truck days that way every truck day every dbo was on and on non truck days would only need to cover zone and 1-4-1s. Its the fact that some areas dont have a dbo 3 days out of the week and every area is missing a dbo atleast once because we cant cover everyday. Our dsd requested more hours and i believe every store is getting more hours due to stimulus check so moving forward we will be even better. Also with setting team work is definitely key like this week we have all of stationary and kitchen resetting and little workload elsewhere so other areas will help to either set or push freight.

In my district, we never had presentation experts, PP1/PP2 prioritization was eliminated, all inbound trained as GM Experts with anymore who usually worked over three hours transferring to DBO after sort. And before COVID-19, they were planning on moving most team members to late mids. These weren’t store choices, but district/group directives. So, it’s always ASANTS. Whether it’s the group or district who can’t stop tweaking here or there, it’s what I feel makes a lot of modernization so painful for some stores. Also, modernization is highly efficient with an average business, but by their very nature, efficient systems are not stable systems. Freight flow increases, call outs, and panicked toilet paper mobs cause the wheels to fall of the bus.

There are definite benefits over the legacy process, however, it does need updating and the guide should have allowed for more flexibility to every stores unique business needs.

There are definite benefits over the legacy process, however, it does need updating and the guide should have allowed for more flexibility to every stores unique business needs.

the legacy process where we had the entire store done by 1100, Softlines completed most days by 0900 the AutoFills done as in pulled pushed and BSd and not one single rolled vehicle. and the backroom team having everything backstocked and out the door by 1230?

we now have rolled freight daily
pulls that can go days with out being touched
a salesfloor that makes me weep
outdated food from early 2020 still showing up somehow, where the F it is coming from I'd really like to know.
vehicles scattered all over the backroom that have freight in them that are just there and nobody know where why or how they got there
now the only thing any one cares about is just their part of the store. help another "section" nah not happening, why? no fracking time. now the not helping is just second nature.

there is so so much more. But the corp cheerleaders will all come and defend the latest rebranding of Viper. it was never going to work.

---

yes this whole thing is a mess. the format and the lot is all whacked. I did want to type some thing nice but after going over it I felt that that mess up there is almost as bad as the whole end to end/store modernization/ DBO nonsense we are forced to suffer through.

Everyone seems to forget that the zone always looked like shit when it was separate teams of people. If you liked working in kohls, sure bring back the flow and backroom teams, but db ownership has helped the look and shopability of the store so much. I was presentation pricing leader and it killed my soul watching departments die just 2 weeks after a reset. The salesfloors everywhere in my district used to all be that way. And they still do in the neighboring district that decided to unmodernize a bunch of processes. There is so much selective remembering in this thread, jeeze.

the legacy process where we had the entire store done by 1100, Softlines completed most days by 0900 the AutoFills done as in pulled pushed and BSd and not one single rolled vehicle. and the backroom team having everything backstocked and out the door by 1230?

we now have rolled freight daily
pulls that can go days with out being touched
a salesfloor that makes me weep
outdated food from early 2020 still showing up somehow, where the F it is coming from I'd really like to know.
vehicles scattered all over the backroom that have freight in them that are just there and nobody know where why or how they got there
now the only thing any one cares about is just their part of the store. help another "section" nah not happening, why? no fracking time. now the not helping is just second nature.

there is so so much more. But the corp cheerleaders will all come and defend the latest rebranding of Viper. it was never going to work.

---

yes this whole thing is a mess. the format and the lot is all whacked. I did want to type some thing nice but after going over it I felt that that mess up there is almost as bad as the whole end to end/store modernization/ DBO nonsense we are forced to suffer through.
This. So much this.

Everyone seems to forget that the zone always looked like shit when it was separate teams of people. If you liked working in kohls, sure bring back the flow and backroom teams, but db ownership has helped the look and shopability of the store so much. I was presentation pricing leader and it killed my soul watching departments die just 2 weeks after a reset. The salesfloors everywhere in my district used to all be that way. And they still do in the neighboring district that decided to unmodernize a bunch of processes. There is so much selective remembering in this thread, jeeze.
Our zone never looked like shit in the legacy process. Look at my photo in my thread “How Bad Is Your Store?” and tell me how nice modernization is working. I’ll wait.

The legacy process was better for logistics/operations and presentation/brand. You're kidding yourself if you think not. Maybe you got new leadership sometime during this time frame? Most stores I go in now look like an absolute dumpster fire compared to 6 years ago. It's night and day.

You can call bullshit on that all you want . But the fact and the matter is with a single no matter the size it shouldn’t be that much freight behind . Maybe the leadership doesn’t know how to strategize because if you have to leave truck behind so they can catch up on pogs , is because they leave everything to the last minute. I stand by what I say . Single truck stores shouldn’t have problems completing their workload . Any big transitions still belongs to Plano workload so is not like it’s added to the dbo. You plan your work ahead it should be fine , and continue to stay ahead .
I get 6 trucks a week, have convinced my SD to go to 4am. We never roll freight, and have DBOs in every area and workload gets done. So i guess you can say it "works". But... We are all burnt out. DBOs have barely enough time for 1f1, freight, zone and strays. Occasionally theyll do some p/c or set a SP. A lot of them work all 6 truck days. TLs are absolutely burnt out from carrying all the workload and having to push areas if someone calls out. So yes, it can "work" but morale is shit and everyone is always burnt out.

I didn’t change anything . There is a reason why the guide left the inbound team just as that inbound . I do however support the dbos with their workload by having inbound push it. I don’t do they salesplaners or revisions and I don’t have the Plano experts do it either . Plano experts are in charge of all the transitions that are under Plano workload and not gm. I don’t do their price change and I don’t do their pulls . Changing their schedule from 6 am to 4 am was the thing that put them where they needed to be. But if you think that I completely disregard the guide let me tell you it is not the case .
You are only inbound? You own no salesfloor?

The zone looked better during with the old process because you had dedicated zoners. DBOs are told to pull, push, backstock, price, zone, set, and bail out fulfillment. In terms of priority, zoning is dead last. Everything else has a metric.

This has been a hallmark problem with Target for quite some time. The company as a whole is very metrics driven - there are many (many) studies as to why this is ineffective and leads to high turnover and as a result, sunk cost for training.

I get 6 trucks a week, have convinced my SD to go to 4am. We never roll freight, and have DBOs in every area and workload gets done. So i guess you can say it "works". But... We are all burnt out. DBOs have barely enough time for 1f1, freight, zone and strays. Occasionally theyll do some p/c or set a SP. A lot of them work all 6 truck days. TLs are absolutely burnt out from carrying all the workload and having to push areas if someone calls out. So yes, it can "work" but morale is shit and everyone is always burnt out.

Yeah, I haven't worked in a Target in years but I would imagine that callouts are a huge problem given the new process for the reasons you described and more.

"So hold the people that call out accountable!"

It's like... uh... yeah, we can do that. But at the end of the day it's still retail and people are going to call out from time to time no matter what and if you fire them, you'll just replace them with someone else who will do the same thing. Not to mention Target makes it difficult as fuck to fire people without being borderline obsessive about coaching them and just being completely up their ass.

Back