modernization is dead

I've noticed that too. Anyone who comes here saying that a process works has something special. Exterior storage containers for the back room, extra people for unload, people working overnight or nearly overnight, roving people with a specialty purpose, even more that I've forgotten. No one comes here with the proper framework, standard back room, people assigned as specific, average proportion of hours given to all, no specialty beyond the DBO, and talks about how they make it work. Something or somethings have to be broken before it can be made workable. And it's annoying to hear people say "it works" instead of saying "yeah, we trashed the modernization bible in this one area, because that's the only way to make it work. If you don't have leadership support to do it, you're fucked."
It works to a certain extent. And you are right if you don’t have leadership support you are more than fucked .

It works “pretty well” at my store.

The exceptions are that on my days off there’s no one in my area. No one pulls my 141s. The other exception is getting a team together for large resets. There’s absolutely no one in my area all week when I’m scheduled for transitions. If I’m filling pog hours, why isn’t someone scheduled to cover me??? Where are my hours going that week? Rear seasonal set they pulled me out of pog to push my truck 2 of the days. Fine with me.
And whenever we have a double truck the solution to get it all pushed is to blitz it and do it “the old way”. If the old way is the “solution” wtf are we doing modernization???
I like modernization for so many reasons, but it’s not perfect by any means.

if the stores that have it working have to adjust Corporates End to End plan then it is not working. we the Logistics/Flow/Backroom team knew this from the start, allegedly
We did know . That’s where the adjustment had to come in place in logistics .

Modernization is not dead, now it's about Stabilization, once known as the "ONE TEAM" mentality!!! Fast, Fun, & Friendly has come back as Care, Grow, Win Together! Basically we are to still focus on the metric side of things, but it has to focus on our guests experience, OFO's are essential to the experience, getting it out of the back to sell is just part of that. Having a team that is happy to be there, meeting what they want in hours and workload expectation, while maintaining the right team in place to "Grow"! Essentially the company has learned that they are constantly training new team members so, we are stagnate in Winning, and that we don't need to hire for department coverage, we need to cross train team members that want "Care" for the hours and are open to cross training. This is pretty much what ONE TEAM was, but now with Modernization, team members will still have dedicated department, GM, SS, or FB but will now have options! It will also open up development opportunities for team members, this wasn't easy with modernization!

So basically, this is the equivalent of George Bush Jr. dressed in a flight suit, standing on the deck of the Abraham Lincoln in front of huge sign saying Mission Accomplished?
They are just saying it's done, perfected, call it something else, and move on.
Despite the fact that it only worked in a certain percentage of stores.
In many of those they did it by cutting corners and flogging their people.
Yep, that sounds about right.

I always like how they were constantly moving DBOs around because they "weren't working" in "their" area. Like, we've burned through tons of DBOs in Seasonal, Toys, and a couple other areas, and it's like the Kool-Aid that ETLs are given makes them not see that it's the workload and payroll that's the problem and not the TM. If you're not happy with anybody's performance in a certain area, maybe it's you that's the problem.

Let me be the one to say that if you are a store that gets only single trucks , and maybe a double now and then. Then modernization should work perfectly. If the stores with single trucks hasn’t managed to make it work then the problem is the leadership and not modernization . When I say I twitched , I meant it in a scheduling . By moving certain team to different schedules . I moved p1 and market to come in at 4 am , that gives them time for their zone and 141. Inbound comes at 6 by 6:30 p1&market are already working truck. I have 5 sorters 1 unloader, doubles everyday and a triple on mondays. We have made it work , the changes were made when I realized that inbound at 4 and p1 at 6 wouldn’t work . But other than that the team is doing what target is asking them too.

Let me be the one to say that if you are a store that gets only single trucks , and maybe a double now and then. Then modernization should work perfectly. If the stores with single trucks hasn’t managed to make it work then the problem is the leadership and not modernization . When I say I twitched , I meant it in a scheduling . By moving certain team to different schedules . I moved p1 and market to come in at 4 am , that gives them time for their zone and 141. Inbound comes at 6 by 6:30 p1&market are already working truck. I have 5 sorters 1 unloader, doubles everyday and a triple on mondays. We have made it work , the changes were made when I realized that inbound at 4 and p1 at 6 wouldn’t work . But other than that the team is doing what target is asking them too.
and how do you make it work if you aren't allowed to have your team come in that early?

Let me be the one to say that if you are a store that gets only single trucks , and maybe a double now and then. Then modernization should work perfectly.

Nah. I have to call bullshit on that. Smaller volume stores do not have an easier time than high volume stores. They get payroll for their volume, i.e., a lot less than you. And, single trucks right now are brutally large for small stores. Seriously, brutally large. We currently have a week's worth of PP2 freight in receiving just hanging out. It doesn't get pushed because the PP2 team has to spend all their time on resets right now to try to keep current with those. We got permission to drop down to 4 trucks a week to try to catch up. But, that just makes every truck larger and hardly anyone is scheduled on non-truck days to catch up. Fulfillment does about half of our OFOs.

I always like how they were constantly moving DBOs around because they "weren't working" in "their" area. Like, we've burned through tons of DBOs in Seasonal, Toys, and a couple other areas, and it's like the Kool-Aid that ETLs are given makes them not see that it's the workload and payroll that's the problem and not the TM. If you're not happy with anybody's performance in a certain area, maybe it's you that's the problem.
Our dbos have been in the same dept this entire time.

Nah. I have to call bullshit on that. Smaller volume stores do not have an easier time than high volume stores. They get payroll for their volume, i.e., a lot less than you. And, single trucks right now are brutally large for small stores. Seriously, brutally large. We currently have a week's worth of PP2 freight in receiving just hanging out. It doesn't get pushed because the PP2 team has to spend all their time on resets right now to try to keep current with those. We got permission to drop down to 4 trucks a week to try to catch up. But, that just makes every truck larger and hardly anyone is scheduled on non-truck days to catch up. Fulfillment does about half of our OFOs.

My inbound TL would kill for 4 trucks/week at my smaller volume store. Pre-Covid we were a 3 truck store with an occasional 4th truck. Now we are 5 trucks/week and most of them are 2000+ trucks. We are short several DBOs so those areas don't have anyone consistently working freight, the DBOs we do have are scrambling to keep up with their 141s, and everyone is feeling burned out & defeated.

You can call bullshit on that all you want . But the fact and the matter is with a single no matter the size it shouldn’t be that much freight behind . Maybe the leadership doesn’t know how to strategize because if you have to leave truck behind so they can catch up on pogs , is because they leave everything to the last minute. I stand by what I say . Single truck stores shouldn’t have problems completing their workload . Any big transitions still belongs to Plano workload so is not like it’s added to the dbo. You plan your work ahead it should be fine , and continue to stay ahead .

and how do you make it work if you aren't allowed to have your team come in that early?
That’s when you take the Bull by the horn and ask to show them a different way. You think that it was given to me like this ? No . But I invited my dtl along with my Sd at 4 am to see it for themself . And next day we tried it and we stucked to it

We get 3.5 - 4 hour shifts. Can't finish *everything* in those hours.

We usually don't work on non-truck days. Except areas like Beauty, E/E and I would assume Market.

We have no POG team.
So no alternates ?????? 😮

So no alternates ?????? 😮
alternate DBOs?
no. just in Beauty, and I would guess E/E and Market. I think those are the areas that might have more than one tm throughout the day.

Style has 2 TLs and one tm on any given day shift (not sure if the VM counts as the tm) - with the current payroll + 2 on breakout.

alternate DBOs?
no. just in Beauty, and I would guess E/E and Market. I think those are the areas that might have more than one tm throughout the day.

Style has 2 TLs and one tm on any given day shift (not sure if the VM counts as the tm) - with the current payroll + 2 on breakout.
Now it makes more sense in my head . That’s insane tho . And 2 on breakout? You mean that style tm do breakout?????

My inbound TL would kill for 4 trucks/week at my smaller volume store. Pre-Covid we were a 3 truck store with an occasional 4th truck. Now we are 5 trucks/week and most of them are 2000+ trucks. We are short several DBOs so those areas don't have anyone consistently working freight, the DBOs we do have are scrambling to keep up with their 141s, and everyone is feeling burned out & defeated.

We get 3.5 - 4 hour shifts. Can't finish *everything* in those hours.

We usually don't work on non-truck days. Except areas like Beauty, E/E and I would assume Market.

We have no POG team.

Same and having people only allowed 4hr shifts means that nothing is actually getting pushed other than enough to unload the next truck. Pog team is a couple people who used to do POG so they float doing the truck when not needed but they tend to do all the sets but given like half time to do it.

Now it makes more sense in my head . That’s insane tho . And 2 on breakout? You mean that style tm do breakout?????

I think breakout is part of inbound (for style) - but the salesfloor for Style is often 3 people, right now.

Exactly as others have said. When you are not lucky enough to be a store with a pog team when big sets come around the DBOs are pulled to help complete that workload with no back ups to cover their areas.

And for pog workload, we can only be as ahead as the fixtures and label strips allow sometimes.

To say that it should work in stores like that is a bit far. The payroll is completely different and many of the stores like mine has gone from a store that did 35mill a few years ago to now 50mill. At this time last year, just before/ start of covid we would get 4 trucks a week. Now we are at a truck everyday. My store is up huge margins in every area. However payroll was so bad we wouldnt have enough hours to cover all areas each day. 4 hour shifts for almost all dbos. That being said ins not completely on modernization thats failing/ payroll is always tight at spot/retail. On top of that my store isnt even really failing per se like some other stores. Almost every store in my district has had to cancel trucks this month. I would say by the end of the week we should be caught up but we were on the brink of failure for almost a month. Strong leadership is key though. My store is basically the pace setter for all areas in the district. IDK how many districts are set up the way mine is but we are basically expected to be 100% perfect all the time and to be like we were for the last month or 2 was shocking.

Back