modernization is dead

the legacy process where we had the entire store done by 1100, Softlines completed most days by 0900 the AutoFills done as in pulled pushed and BSd and not one single rolled vehicle. and the backroom team having everything backstocked and out the door by 1230?

we now have rolled freight daily
pulls that can go days with out being touched
a salesfloor that makes me weep
outdated food from early 2020 still showing up somehow, where the F it is coming from I'd really like to know.
vehicles scattered all over the backroom that have freight in them that are just there and nobody know where why or how they got there
now the only thing any one cares about is just their part of the store. help another "section" nah not happening, why? no fracking time. now the not helping is just second nature.

there is so so much more. But the corp cheerleaders will all come and defend the latest rebranding of Viper. it was never going to work.

---

yes this whole thing is a mess. the format and the lot is all whacked. I did want to type some thing nice but after going over it I felt that that mess up there is almost as bad as the whole end to end/store modernization/ DBO nonsense we are forced to suffer through.

Just so you know, my Super was a dumpster fire before and after modernization: smart huddles everyday in middle main, countless challenges, auto for days due to set it and forget it, no one pulled CAFs for a few years or BR price change batches, flat/zs of AA backstock...so my experience is probably a bit different because at that point modernization could do much worse. Now, at the ULVs I used to work at, I can see them struggling much more now. And some have have gotten better, it’s just pains you everyday.

Everything looked better during the old process because there were more physical bodies.

Far less bodies the old way.
There always seemed to be red shirts around years ago when I was just a guest. Plus the floor was always neat and full, no random vehicles everywhere, etc. Then I noticed my store start to slide - messy aisles, vehicles on the floor, merchandise piled up by the fitting room, etc. I have to imagine that was when they did away with the overnight teams, because they never used to have people stocking the floor during business hours.

Regardless of what processes or business models they use, the bottom line is, work gets done by people - people who show up and who can work with relative quickness and efficiency.

Modernization is incredibly inefficient. It's pretty crazy that it even works. DBOs are given far too much work to actually finish in 8 hours, so it's obvious that they're going to prioritize what they do. That means some things are just not going to be done.

Given stores still have a lot of people from before the process change, you also have a lot of people who can't use powered equipment or ladders very well. You have a lot of short people and people who can't lift very much weight. You have people who just don't understand how to keep things organized. You need to know what you're doing in a lot of areas (backroom and plano in particular). Expecting everyone to be able to not just do these things, but do them well is nonsense. It doesn't work that way.

We have DBOs in Home that are amazing at guest service, pushing, and zoning.. but can't use powered equipment, are afraid to use ladders, and are quite short and physically challenged, so to speak. They can push repacks like you wouldn't believe, but if you need a chest freezer down from the steel for a guest? They can't do it. They cannot do the job. Well, half the job. So what do you do with them? Do you get rid of them? Do you rely on others to do half their job for them? This is the crap that makes it impossible to fully implement Modernization. You pretty much need to fire everyone in the store and hire people that can do everything and that is impossible in a lot of areas.

Before Modernization? It would have been fine (and was fine) because there was no expectation for them to do things they couldn't do. Can't use powered equipment, but you're an extrovert? Salesfloor TM. Introverted, but can handle the stacker like a boss? Backroom TM. Organized to the point of borderline OCD? Pricing and plano. You played to your strengths and it worked.

Last edited:
We have DBOs in Home that are amazing at guest service, pushing, and zoning.. but can't use powered equipment, are afraid to use ladders,
If you saw the ladders we use at our store you'd be scared too; hope your ladders aren't like ours. The backroom ladders are mostly fine since they're attached to the moving rail thing which actually helps my fear of falling off them.

But those rickety-ass other ladders? Heck no. My fear of heights comes RIGHT BACK with those things.

I'd use powered equipment but even when I was still on the floor no one would let me.

Also I was never fast enough for them. They'd always want the huge flat of stuff with lots of garbage and styrofoam done in one hour, with the trash and backstocking done. The expectations were too high and though I complain of how boring cleaning is I've never been so glad not to be on the floor.

Modernization isn’t dead, they need your store to catch up on freight so “push at all costs” is what your store was told to do. Your DSD is trying to fix a broken process by covering it up and the store will get the repercussions of this on the next GVP walk. Expect some changes in leadership at your store soon lol

Modernization isn’t dead, they need your store to catch up on freight so “push at all costs” is what your store was told to do. Your DSD is trying to fix a broken process by covering it up and the store will get the repercussions of this on the next GVP walk. Expect some changes in leadership at your store soon lol
I wish leadership changes would happen at my store soon.

People shit on modernization and hype up the legacy process, but reality is that is was not efficient payroll wise. There were far more bodies in legacy. Don't get me wrong i think a solid mix of both processes would work wonders. I think people are suffering from nostalgia though there were plenty of times that the sales floor and backrooms were a mess. I remember plenty of times that the freight would get pushed but there would be 15 pallets of back stock from the truck not done. Inventory was always much higher. Pulls were far more inefficient. I think the problem with modernization is how unflexible it is on paper. Stores are being given a little bit of leeway and it has improved outcomes. I think we are going to see a revamped version of modernization soon with some tweaks and itll be better but its going to need the decision makers to actually go to these stores and figure it out.

People shit on modernization and hype up the legacy process, but reality is that is was not efficient payroll wise. There were far more bodies in legacy. Don't get me wrong i think a solid mix of both processes would work wonders. I think people are suffering from nostalgia though there were plenty of times that the sales floor and backrooms were a mess. I remember plenty of times that the freight would get pushed but there would be 15 pallets of back stock from the truck not done. Inventory was always much higher. Pulls were far more inefficient. I think the problem with modernization is how unflexible it is on paper. Stores are being given a little bit of leeway and it has improved outcomes. I think we are going to see a revamped version of modernization soon with some tweaks and itll be better but its going to need the decision makers to actually go to these stores and figure it out.

Naive.

If the store looked like shit or wasn't finishing under the legacy process it was because your executive staff sucked ass or your store had already been put into a corner on payroll due to meeting productivity goals for years and years in a row to the point that it became unsustainable.

The decision makers don't have anything to "figure out" in reference to modernization.

Just because you start paying people $15 an hour minimum doesn't mean that you can then cut overall the staffing/pool of hours to keep payroll expenses relatively the same and get the same result. By that logic, raise minimum to $90/hr and divide the payroll by 6 and it should be the same result, right!?!?

Raise the minimum wage to $15,000/hr and only staff the store with 1 peron per week for one hour total! Same result! Totally!

Please.

There's nothing to get or rectify or change. They're not going to magically start staffing the stores. There's nothing else to be said about it. The stores look like shit compared to what they once did and that's not going to change. It will only get worse as time goes on.

Last edited:
There's nothing to get or rectify or change. They're not going to magically start staffing the stores. There's nothing else to be said about it. The stores look like shit compared to what they once did and that's not going to change. It will only get worse as time goes on.
We've lost a bunch of good people. A couple of people retired, we lost a beloved ETL because the expectations shot WAY, WAY up, and it just...doesn't seem to change. We just go on short staffing until something happens and we get shitloads of reshop or roll a couple trucks. Then they'll call a few people in to fix it....then we're over on hours and we're right back where we started.

Naive.

If the store looked like shit or wasn't finishing under the legacy process it was because your executive staff sucked ass or your store had already been put into a corner on payroll due to meeting productivity goals for years and years in a row to the point that it became unsustainable.

The decision makers don't have anything to "figure out" in reference to modernization.

Just because you start paying people $15 an hour minimum doesn't mean that you can then cut overall the staffing/pool of hours to keep payroll expenses relatively the same and get the same result. By that logic, raise minimum to $90/hr and divide the payroll by 6 and it should be the same result, right!?!?

Raise the minimum wage to $15,000/hr and only staff the store with 1 peron per week for one hour total! Same result! Totally!

Please.

That's not what i said at all but sure. Payroll was cut long before modernization was a thing and stores suffered then. Ive worked at multiple stores for almost 15 years. Spot was much better then dont get me wrong but its not going back to 7 dollars and hour and triple the people so no use it even talking about it.

That's not what i said at all but sure. Payroll was cut long before modernization was a thing and stores suffered then. Ive worked at multiple stores for almost 15 years. Spot was much better then dont get me wrong but its not going back to 7 dollars and hour and triple the people so no use it even talking about it.
Just out of curiosity, what were your hours (per quarter) back when you were making $7? Are you and all the TMs around you getting close to the same hours, or have they dropped enough that there's not been any increase in pay?

Well no joke they're not going back.

Why do you think they rolled this process out? Because it was more efficient or better for brand? Do I really have to spell it out for you?

This shitty process only exists because they saw the tides turning with wages nationally and wanted to pretend to give a shit about their employees(spoiler: they do not care) by getting out in front of it. This process doesn't exist because it's more efficient. That's probably the most laughable thing I've ever read on this board.

Back