modernization is dead

People shit on modernization and hype up the legacy process, but reality is that is was not efficient payroll wise. There were far more bodies in legacy. Don't get me wrong i think a solid mix of both processes would work wonders. I think people are suffering from nostalgia though there were plenty of times that the sales floor and backrooms were a mess. I remember plenty of times that the freight would get pushed but there would be 15 pallets of back stock from the truck not done. Inventory was always much higher. Pulls were far more inefficient. I think the problem with modernization is how unflexible it is on paper. Stores are being given a little bit of leeway and it has improved outcomes. I think we are going to see a revamped version of modernization soon with some tweaks and itll be better but its going to need the decision makers to actually go to these stores and figure it out.
I think if leadership would stop reverting back to the old way to get caught up, and actually support modernization with hours and training...we would let go of the old way.
we can’t if leadership doesn’t.

You touched on part of it - hours. I think we can all agree that we would asphyxiate from laughing too hard if someone were to say that the total hours needed to run the backroom and all the special teams were given to salesfloor at a 1:1 ratio. They took all the tasks but cut the hours when re-configuring. Yet the actual amount of time needed to do a task aren't going to lessen just because one person is doing all the tasks instead of it being split between two or three or four people. Items going from a shelf to another shelf with all steps properly taken cannot bend space-time laws simply because one person is moving the whole thing rather than one person taking them off while another person is putting them on.

The other part, other people have talked about. We are not robots. We are flawed human beings with weaknesses and strengths. Expecting everyone to be everything means that when that person is working in a weak area things are going to be done more slowly and more poorly. Not for lack of trying, but simple human limitation. So maximum efficiency when dealing with a group of flawed human beings is to put each in a position of strength and avoid putting each in a weakness. End net results is going to be much better because you're not dealing with areas slowed down due to weaknesses, you're not even dealing with averages. The people are in their best spots which means you get only the best in return.

Just out of curiosity, what were your hours (per quarter) back when you were making $7? Are you and all the TMs around you getting close to the same hours, or have they dropped enough that there's not been any increase in pay?
Ive pretty much always averaged 30-40 hours so my pay increased with pay increases mostly. I think i had a few years were i averaged 25-28 but idr ive worked here too long in multiple stores it all blends together.
When i started there was probably as many people on the flow team as there are now dbos and that doesnt include all the other positions that were there. Bodies on the floor has decreased steadily since i started.

Well no joke they're not going back.

Why do you think they rolled this process out? Because it was more efficient or better for brand? Do I really have to spell it out for you?

This shitty process only exists because they saw the tides turning with wages nationally and wanted to pretend to give a shit about their employees(spoiler: they do not care) by getting out in front of it. This process doesn't exist because it's more efficient. That's probably the most laughable thing I've ever read on this board.
Bingo

I still just want to know how they expect to have a green pull completion metric when you're punished for completing them in the morning and not at 9:59pm.
The issue is the fact that with Mod, essential areas (Chem, Pets, Baby, HBA) were asked to come in as PP1, which means they are usually out the door before peak, which means that unless your store has bucked Mod and asked for others to pull those areas... they don’t get pulled after peak, which leaves massive batches left in the gun when metrics go to report.

The formula for pull completion is quite simple - it’s how many DPCIs/Units were pulled during the day (via OFO) divided by total DPCIs/Units were both left in the gun at 11:59p and pulled (via OFO.)

I call out the fact it is only for OFO because if you pull everything via OFO, there are no OOSs, which means there is a 0% completion for OOS but not OFO. You technically could pull OOS then a OFO and have both at 100% completion, but HQ and ODs don’t seem to care about OOS, even though I would personally argue screw the damn OFO metric - you can’t sell it if it is OOS on the floor (I mean, sure, via flex, but that isn’t the point.) Yes we should be filling via OFO, but I think the metric is stupid. We should really be utilizing our time better with making sure the floor doesn’t have any OOS

Im jealous. I got hba1&2, otc, pets, chem and ppr. On top of being only inbound
I hear you. We just lost a great leader at our store because she was stretched too thin. She had all of that, stationary, housewares, half of domestics, and fullfillment. Compared to the other leaders in the building it seemed so unbalanced.

Last edited:
The issue is the fact that with Mod, essential areas (Chem, Pets, Baby, HBA) were asked to come in as PP1, which means they are usually out the door before peak, which means that unless your store has bucked Mod and asked for others to pull those areas... they don’t get pulled after peak, which leaves massive batches left in the gun when metrics go to report.

The formula for pull completion is quite simple - it’s how many DPCIs/Units were pulled during the day (via OFO) divided by total DPCIs/Units were both left in the gun at 11:59p and pulled (via OFO.)

I call out the fact it is only for OFO because if you pull everything via OFO, there are no OOSs, which means there is a 0% completion for OOS but not OFO. You technically could pull OOS then a OFO and have both at 100% completion, but HQ and ODs don’t seem to care about OOS, even though I would personally argue screw the damn OFO metric - you can’t sell it if it is OOS on the floor (I mean, sure, via flex, but that isn’t the point.) Yes we should be filling via OFO, but I think the metric is stupid. We should really be utilizing our time better with making sure the floor doesn’t have any OOS
Target cares more about a metric they can get a hard on to than making sure product is on the floor for guests (& fulfillment TMs.) 🙄

Back