Archived Best way to correctly remember schedule?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am extra paranoid about everything. I've been this way since I was little. I hate being late to things and I hate missing appointments. I write down my schedule and put it in my phone every time it is posted. I just get really paranoid that I wrote it down wrong. My schedule is really good right now so that is making me extra paranoid. In the beginning I called each Sunday for 3 weeks in a row to verify my schedule. I know it isn't right so I stopped doing it and kept checking my schedule every day just to reassure myself. I am fully aware that there may be an underlying problem but I only do this with work. This is my first job so I'm on edge with every mistake I make ( like giving out an extra dollar by mistake because they were stuck and then realizing it when its in the customers hand).Anyway, how do you guys effectively remember your schedules to the point where you are confident that it is correct?Also, if I happened to miss a day (NC/NS) would they call me by any chance or?

I make a copy of my schedule and take that home. That way there's no worrying about hitting a 3 instead of a 2 in your phone and showing up an hour late.

When I was with Target, I just wrote it down on paper. lolThen I also started putting it in my email calendar. And setting it as an calendar event w/ alarm on your cell phone is smart especially for closer/openers.There is no 100% guarantee that the posted or online schedule is current. There were times my schedule was changed mid-edit or mid-week, and the posted schedule was never changed. And I was scheduled shifts I had no idea I had.

If you have a good camera on your phone you can always take a picture of it.

write it down.....once it's been posted via paper it's not SUPPOSED to be changed and if it does they (at least in my store) tell us to check schedules.

to answer the other question...no, they will more than likely not call you. It might be best to have at least one person at the store have your number. I will text somebody if they are more than a half hour late....usually they wrote their time wrong. I have done it once because I wrote my schedule wrong....I was in the store and my ETL saw me and said nothing. When I clocked in, he just laughed when I asked him and he said "well, I knew you would eventually clock in."

you need to find somebody who can help you with your problem...you may think the obsessiveness is limited to the schedule checking but I am guessing there are other areas in your life that you do this with.

The official rule is not to call. During November and December, if your shift will make us drown if you don't show up, then we will call.

You guys don't get these? HR has these in a little bin hanging next to the schedule on the wall above the time clock.
u2z9.jpg

I write my schedule down on the provided sheets. Of course that doesn't prevent me from reading it wrong and thinking that it said 3:30 start time instead of 3 like I did yesterday. First time I've ever been late. I was shocked when I realized but nobody actually noticed because I was the one who figured it out, nobody got an alert or anything that was mentioned to me, including the opening GSTL who I told once I realized it.

I write my schedule down in 2-week blocks, using both sides of the little sheet the store provides. So I'll have week 1 and week 2 of the month on one sheet, week 2 and 3 on another, 3 and 4 on the next, and I'll keep them in my wallet. If I'm ever concerned about getting my schedule wrong I can check, and say on week 2 of the month I'll have two copies that I wrote down on two sheets, a week apart. If they're both the same, I can be pretty confident I didn't make a mistake.

More importantly I've told all the opening TLs and ETLs that I will never miss a shift without prior notification, so if for some reason I don't show up PLEASE call me! It's happened once before that my schedule was changed without my knowing, and sure enough I got a call asking where I was. I went in, explained the situation, and punched in a few hours late without any penalties. If you're always going to be at work and be a valuable resource, believe me your TL/ETL will be more than happy to call you on a rare day that you don't show up.

I take a picture of the schedule when its posted, then drop it into my phone calendar, its a live tile on my phones home screen. The lock screen on my phone also shows the next "appointment" on it, so it rolls whatever is next. Be it my husbands hockey game or my next day at work, its impossible to miss.. In the pre-smartphone days. I would copy it, by hand or Xerox machine then mark a big wall calendar in the kitchen.. You will find what is easiest and foolproof for you..

I photocopy it or print it from workbrain. Also works well for when db's change your schedule without notice. Then you have proof.

It sure would be great if we could access our schedule from home... but until that happens, I just write it down on one of those slips and keep it in my wallet. That way I can always know what time I'm scheduled wherever I am.

Don't get caught making photocopies of the schedule. That's a specific no-no. Frankly, I don't care if you do it or not, so don't argue with me about it, but I'm just saying they frown on that.

I've found issues when looking at my schedule from work brain, because sometimes what is on work brain is different than what is on the printed schedule...and for us, the printed schedule takes precedence.

I actually do what Unreturnable does, and rewrite the next two weeks every week when the new schedule comes out. I've seen a few TMs do this at my store.

If you have a good camera on your phone you can always take a picture of it.
I do this too, take a picture of my schedule the day it comes out, then consult the photo on my phone (which is always handy).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back