Archived Better Guest Service training

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today we had a pair of worn and broken shoes returned by a new TM, I brought them to my GSTL because it was an issue, but mostly because my GSA told me to. :/

It was the second time today, I'm starting to think that we need to take some time to retrain a bit, not over everything but over small details such as that. Like how we don't return opened electronic items, hygiene products (unless defective).

But how like I had a guest bring me super glue that he wanted to return because "It didn't do what he wanted it to."
I was confused on whether I should take it or not, but ended up taking it in the end.. I still don't know if that was ok.

Am I the only one wishing we could get precise training? Or a manual?

Already tried that, it won't let us in. :/
I've already been Guest Service trained, they just skipped a ton of crap.

While the return policy does state "new and unused" there are lots of reasons why one might bend that rule and often you can't anticipate those reasons until they are right in front of you--its a judgement thing and some people have it and some people don't. There are also always going to be issues with the way some team members approach things. Some are too lax with best practice and some stick to it too tightly and end up pissing off guests for no good reason. Training and gaining experience is a never ending process. My advice to anyone when training is to always start by learning best practice so when you choose to deviate from it you can make the best judgement as to when and how to do that and to defend why you did so should you be asked about it later. Your best resources at the front end are your GSTLs/GSAs, long-time Guest Service TMs, AP, and workbench--workbench is a much neglected tool--I'm often surprised at how often even TLs and ETLs don't use it appropriately. There should also be a Guest Service manual somewhere at your service desk.

While the return policy does state "new and unused" there are lots of reasons why one might bend that rule and often you can't anticipate those reasons until they are right in front of you--its a judgement thing and some people have it and some people don't. There are also always going to be issues with the way some team members approach things. Some are too lax with best practice and some stick to it too tightly and end up pissing off guests for no good reason. Training and gaining experience is a never ending process. My advice to anyone when training is to always start by learning best practice so when you choose to deviate from it you can make the best judgement as to when and how to do that and to defend why you did so should you be asked about it later. Your best resources at the front end are your GSTLs/GSAs, long-time Guest Service TMs, AP, and workbench--workbench is a much neglected tool--I'm often surprised at how often even TLs and ETLs don't use it appropriately. There should also be a Guest Service manual somewhere at your service desk.

I agree with all of this. I honestly get really tired of some of the GSTM's calling me up there to approve such stupid returns. GS is not black and white it's mostly just a gray area. You need to be able to trust yourself and do what's best for the guest while trying not to get screwed over. Is 5 dollars really worth pissing off a guest? No, it's not. It's also not worth the headache. Should you let a guest return an open IPAD just because? Obviously not.
I also have TM who will not take ANYTHING back if there's no packaging, they used it, or they just don't feel like it. I get so tired of going up there and having her shoot me down with her eyes when i override her and go ahead and do the return.
Basically you just need to trust yourself and do what's best for the guest within reason.

I agree with all of this. I honestly get really tired of some of the GSTM's calling me up there to approve such stupid returns. GS is not black and white it's mostly just a gray area. You need to be able to trust yourself and do what's best for the guest while trying not to get screwed over. Is 5 dollars really worth pissing off a guest? No, it's not. It's also not worth the headache. Should you let a guest return an open IPAD just because? Obviously not.
I also have TM who will not take ANYTHING back if there's no packaging, they used it, or they just don't feel like it. I get so tired of going up there and having her shoot me down with her eyes when i override her and go ahead and do the return.
Basically you just need to trust yourself and do what's best for the guest within reason.

Lol.... are you City Target?

I think you should go to your ETL-GE (I would actually go to your STL, but if you're not close with them, it might feel uncomfortable) and ask them about their view on returns to get a clear understanding of what they want. Maybe go to them with a few examples. My STL will pretty much take back anything with a receipt back, almost no exceptions. He is willing to give a little in order for the guests to feel confident about their purchase at Target. Say you want to but a TV...would you rather go to Best Buy where you'll have to pay a restock fee if you return it, or go to Target, where you know you'll be able to return it if you decide you don't like it after a week or two? Sure, we might get screwed over here and there, but guest loyalty is a huge part of a store's success. Help encourage it!

Disclaimer---I have no idea about Best Buy's policy

We absolutely take back iPads without question if they are within 45 days. And we always defect them out, even if they are unopened. We lose more money on $5 carp returns than electronics. ;) Our motto is, "Well, we're high enough volume that we'd rather have a happy guest than a pissy one so what would STL do?"

I even had an ETL tell me that we make enough money that we should take back anything and everything to save the feelings of a guest. I will no longer take back 3 month old used vacuums or worn out shoes without a receipt but everything else, no problem.

My Take: If it's a liquid product and it's used, I accept it if they are unsatisfied with it and it's barely used. If it's clothing that looks like it hasn't been worn down to the bone, I accept it. However if it's like that woman trying to return that pair of kids sandals that she bought 2 months ago with the tread warn, straps broken, and covered in mud, I'm going to say, sorry, we can't resell these.... They're worn out and clearly abused. You can buy another pair, but I can't accept this return...." You just have to use your judgement, if any doubt comes to mind, call your gstl over. They'll tell if it can be returned.

If it was me...I return anything as long as it doesn't look like it was noticeable used or worn. If the guest claimed it broke or defective and has a valid 90 day receipt...I returned it.

If it was like clothing or sheets that looked like it was washed, I don't accept it.

Now if it were my old ETLs, we take anything back with a valid receipt. They claimed they are trying to keep the guest happy and keep them coming back to shop. Defective or not...washed/worn or not.

Thinking back, I did refuse to accept the return of tequila. The guest said it gave him a headache. Of course, the purchase date was the day prior and it was 7/8 empty. I actually laughed out loud when he said that, thinking he was kidding. But he wasn't. He truly thought we'd give him his money back on a bottle of Patron that he drank. hahahahahaha

New and unused.
Expired product? Return.
Doesn't like the coffee maker? Return.
Wait, you used the coffee maker for a month and you don't like it? DENIED.
Coffee maker broke after a week? Exchange.
Coffee maker broke after a week? Don't want to exchange it? DENIED. Manufacturer's warranty.
Tags still on clothes? Return.
Tags off clothes? Are they worn? No? Return
Tags off clothes? Are they word? Yes? DENIED.

How is the coffee maker broke after a week and don't want to exchange it denied?

That's what my GE said. If it's broken, it's no longer "new and unused". If it's defective, we've been instructed to refer the guest towards guest relations and the manufacturer's warranty.

How is the coffee maker broke after a week and don't want to exchange it denied?

I have the same question. If an item breaks or wears out long before it should and the guest has a receipt to prove they've only had it for a short time I'm willing to return it as defective, except for those few electronics items we can only offer an even exchange on. I have even returned defective items without packaging, without a receipt or a receipt look-up for store credit so long as the guest can find the same item on our shelves at the time of return. It depends on the item though.

I referred guests to that after their receipts passed 90 days.

That's what my GE said. If it's broken, it's no longer "new and unused". If it's defective, we've been instructed to refer the guest towards guest relations and the manufacturer's warranty.

Hmm--well your GE ETL is your boss so I guess you are stuck with what he/she says, but I think that is too narrow an interpretation of our return policy.

Hmm--well your GE ETL is your boss so I guess you are stuck with what he/she says, but I think that is too narrow an interpretation of our return policy.

I agree with you 100%. Unfortunately, she has given me a direction and I have to follow it.

*shrug*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back