Archived Bicycle sales down, displays shrinking at your store?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parker51

Senior Team Member
Yes, it's been an unusually cold winter. Still, it seems that bike sales are down this holiday season over last year. Bike builder workload and shifts are significantly down before Christmas and into the new year (once a month vs. once a week). Sales seem to be mostly children's bikes vs. adult models. I've also just been told that displays in our store will be shrinking another 4-foot shelf width in the next reset.

One explanation is that interest in biking in general is down, both from lower gas prices, and fewer competitive Americans in pro cycling races like the Tour de France. Another explanation is the popularity of electric bikes (which we don't carry).

How are bike sales and displays at other stores?

We went to only 8 4-ft-sections of bikes instead of 12 with our remodel.

Ours went down 8ft about two years ago. Then went down another 8ft this year. In my market, we actually have a good active community though serious biking guests are shopping at the various bike shops we have for their bikes.

I always wonder if hanging the bikes like that damages the wheels at all. I know when I had to reset the bike wall, some of them definitely had damage from being dropped, which didn't really inspire any confidence in actually buying one there.

Interesting there’s a new bike training on the learn at Target app on the zebra.

Yes, it's been an unusually cold winter. Still, it seems that bike sales are down this holiday season over last year. Bike builder workload and shifts are significantly down before Christmas and into the new year (once a month vs. once a week). Sales seem to be mostly children's bikes vs. adult models. I've also just been told that displays in our store will be shrinking another 4-foot shelf width in the next reset.

One explanation is that interest in biking in general is down, both from lower gas prices, and fewer competitive Americans in pro cycling races like the Tour de France. Another explanation is the popularity of electric bikes (which we don't carry).

How are bike sales and displays at other stores?

The next reset should have happened last week. We've lost 16 feet in the last couple years, wall is always half empty, no current bike builder trained, and the upper signing was so old and brittle it fell apart when I tried to replace it. Before Easter is usually our busiest for bike sales, but with no builder, think we might be screwed.

We lost 8 feet a year or two ago. The PMT had a work order to take down another 8 feet this time around. But I guess the pog team didn't have anything going there so he had to put it back up. It's still empty... haven't had anyone building bikes in a couple of months.

Off topic but if a guest buys a bike that was assembled incorrectly by the bike builder, and they get hurt as a result, is Target or the bike builder held responsible?

Sorry to see so much process failure at other stores, with poor build quality, and sometimes even the builder position currently unfilled. I wonder if Target is gradually getting out of the bike business, or the pendulum is swinging back to contract assemblers. At my store, we take pride in our work and at least ensure that the bikes are built safely (brakes work, bolts tight, etc.). A good bike assembly process is really something that's learn-by-doing, and by establishing a quality culture by mentor-based training and an ongoing second-level audit and inspection process. I've trained many people at multiple stores, and seen them come and go over the years. It's also become impossible to order parts anymore, so a simple defect like a bent wheel on shipment totals the bike and sends it to the crusher. Shame also that, unlike sending our damaged pet food to shelters, we can't donate defective bikes to "free-cycle" type charities that teach children how to build their own bikes from salvaged parts.

Last edited:
@Parker51 . Sounds like y'all have a good bike building culture there. At my store I'm the builder. That's it. Nobody else is trained in bike building and honestly I like it that way (job security).
It's also become impossible to order parts anymore, so a simple defect like a bent wheel on shipment totals the bike and sends it to the crusher.
I refuse to fax orders. Even during Christmas and summer I talk to a person. Dial 1 to speak to customer service. "I need to order a part for a Target store." They ask all the info, give confirmation number, etc. That way I KNOW someone got my order. Never had a problem getting an order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back