Archived Bikes and bike returns

Status
Not open for further replies.

pellinore

Life sucks and nothing good can come of it.
The policy on returning bikes was that we'd only take a bike back to fix a problem that had to do with building a bike....a kick stand that has come loose...one of the pedals have fallen off...the chain won't stay on.

If there was another problem, then the guest was stuck with contacting the bike manufacturer for a refund or to return the bike to them.

Recently, we've been taking back bikes that "don't look like they've been used" or "have very little wear."

Has anyone had their bike return policy changed?

If so, how do you decide when a bike can be returned?

We were always just told to initially offer repairs if they were reasonable, or if they were in new condition (tires were REASONABLY Used look, etc).

At one store, we were to always call the LOD to the SD to examine any bike return. Usually they would only allow a bike return if it still had the rubber tips on the tires and no scratches.

Another store, we were told to take back any bike to keep the customer happy, and had to defect it.

we repair any bike if they have a receipt and it's within 90 days unless there's obvious misuse. We do not take back any back once it's been used.

Ours depends on the LOD. I had to exchange one that was about 6 months old and badly misused for a brand new one last week because the LOD that night would rather give away the entire store than say "no" to a guest. Everyone in the store knew it was the LOD's doing and say-so....so what do I care?

Ours depends on the LOD. I had to exchange one that was about 6 months old and badly misused for a brand new one last week because the LOD that night would rather give away the entire store than say "no" to a guest. Everyone in the store knew it was the LOD's doing and say-so....so what do I care?

hey... that great vibe will bring the guest back in again... in six months... to get another new bike... :spiteful:

I've given up trying to enforce any sort of policy. The GSTLs and LODs will just roll over for the Vibe, anyway.

If it's within my ability to fix, I'll do it. If the bike is a disaster when it's brought in, it will be a disaster when it rolls out, but a functional disaster.
If it's a return or exchange and it's in good shape, I'll fix it up, clean it up with a shop rag, repackage for a discount and flex it onto the wall. They're usually bought up immediately at my store.
If it's not worth the trouble, it's a quick defect, strip and recycle.

We don't get even half the building hours we need for our volume, so it's not worth my time to try to argue with people over policy. I can usually just fix it faster, anyway.

My biggest issue right now is bikes that are returned and look fine, so guest service doesn't tag them and they end up on the wall until I catch them. What makes it more aggravating is they're almost always returns from another store that didn't build them right in the first place, so I now have two people to be angry at.

Don't worry, I do tagged the bikes at my store. They aren't on floor, saying please fix me for these issues, in your bike area in the back room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back