Archived Black Friday Coupon

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullseyekindaguy

Former logistics/guest experience intern!
So today, I had a guest request a price adjustment on her Black Friday purchase.

She wanted to use her 20% that we gave out on Black Friday, on the receipt on which she received the coupon.

I told her no, that the coupon could be used on prior purchases. However, the coupon doesn't state that fact. How is the best way to handle those guests? If she was dumb enough to figure out that loop hole, I'm sure other guests will ask too.

If you wondering what she did... She purchased the same items, used the coupon, and told me she will be back with the merchandise from the original transaction.

Luckily today is the last day for missed coupons for Friday, so if we had any guests pull that today, I wasn't there for it (and we didn't have any yesterday do that).

OH YEA!! Totally forgot about the timeframe for missed coupons... I'll remember that for the rest of the week.

I was more obsessed with the the "can't be used on prior purchase" part. Haha.

Thanks!

If the items she purchased on Fri were part of the 2 (or 3) day sale, they wouldn't be on sale now.
Unless the 20% was cheaper than what she paid Fri, it's just an exercise in futility.

I did give her the choice of the 20% off current prices or getting the Black Friday prices.

So she purchased the items that weren't on sale on Friday (including a TV) again and will bring the original items back.

Hopefully she wastes money on gas running crap and forth then she does on the TV. The savings was minimal, but enough that she didn't understand "why I couldn't help her out."

Umm, if we wanted to give you 20% at the time of purchase, we would have ran a 20% off sale... NOT a coupon to be used on a future purchase.

I had a guest want to use the coupon on stuff she purchased Saturday. I told her that the coupon couldn't be used on a purchase made when the coupon wasn't valid, so she could either use it on something else, or I could return everything and resell it at current prices. She's going to bring back her receipt and coupon and return and rebuy everything.

She better bring back the merch, too.
After a GSTM attempted that, she found out that the guest's card limit was locked & she wasn't able to ring up the new purchase. Fortunately, a GSA was nearby & voided out the return or the guest might've gotten off with free merchandise.
We NEVER do a refund & re-ring without the merchandise present because some folks may have exceeded their credit line & - depending on the card issuer - the credit line may be locked down so you might be unable to re-ring that purchase.

After a GSTM attempted that, she found out that the guest's card limit was locked & she wasn't able to ring up the new purchase. Fortunately, a GSA was nearby & voided out the return or the guest might've gotten off with free merchandise.
We NEVER do a refund & re-ring without the merchandise present because some folks may have exceeded their credit line & - depending on the card issuer - the credit line may be locked down so you might be unable to re-ring that purchase.

At my store, we have a problem with people attempting to work around the price adjustment policy (especially when stuff goes clearance). So when a guest returns merchandise, we don't allow to buy it from behind the counter. They must either wait for it to be reshopped or they must purchase from the floor.

This is a very good point, I hadn't thought of that. :/

At my store, we have a problem with people attempting to work around the price adjustment policy (especially when stuff goes clearance). So when a guest returns merchandise, we don't allow to buy it from behind the counter. They must either wait for it to be reshopped or they must purchase from the floor.

This is official Target policy and what we do as well.

This is official Target policy and what we do as well.

Yes. We only do price adjustments for sales, never for clearance.

Back to the coupon....anyone else had those crazy Disney people in trying to purchase about a billion cards at once and use the 20% coupon? They keep trying to claim that the Disney cards are "entertainment cards" and not "gift cards" and should be allowed. Never mind the fact that it says "gift card" in really big letters on the, umm, gift card.

Target's fb page blew up over that one yesterday as apparently some stores overrode it and let it go through, making the rest of the masses insistent that they should be entitled to the same error. I had one guy in today who was trying to buy 76 of them. My guest service person called me over, I said no, he wanted to speak to a manager, so I called over my LOD who also told him no. He was nice enough about it, but sheesh, people. A gift card is a gift card, no matter what you think you want to call it.

The coupon states valid dec 1-7

If their receipt isn't dated within that range, it would be ineligible.... It also clearly states which items it is eligible for.

Seems like a slam dunk deny to me, not sure what the controversy is....

If their receipt isn't dated within that range, it would be ineligible.... It also clearly states which items it is eligible for.

Because no matter how much you tell them that it can't be used on a prior purchase, or the fact that they received the coupon because of the transaction, they still complain. It also says no where on the coupon (unlike most other Target coupons): Not Valid On Prior Purchase. So Mrs. "Know-it-all" guest will come in on Dec 1. and demand the adjustment.

And yes, we GSTL's and GSA's will deny it, but when they call for the LOD, the LOD will usually "vibe it" because they will "agree" with the guest about the missing "not valid on prior purchase" verbiage.

This also happens frequently when Target sends out those "$15 off a purchase of $150 or more" coupons. Guests will bring that coupon in and demand an adjustment because they spent $150 over 5 or 6 transactions. We'll get the; "it DOESN'T SAY must be spent in 1 transaction" excuse, and my "we must please every single person that walks through the door" ETL-GE will vibe it.

Because no matter how much you tell them that it can't be used on a prior purchase, or the fact that they received the coupon because of the transaction, they still complain. It also says no where on the coupon (unlike most other Target coupons): Not Valid On Prior Purchase. So Mrs. "Know-it-all" guest will come in on Dec 1. and demand the adjustment.

And yes, we GSTL's and GSA's will deny it, but when they call for the LOD, the LOD will usually "vibe it" because they will "agree" with the guest about the missing "not valid on prior purchase" verbiage.

This also happens frequently when Target sends out those "$15 off a purchase of $150 or more" coupons. Guests will bring that coupon in and demand an adjustment because they spent $150 over 5 or 6 transactions. We'll get the; "it DOESN'T SAY must be spent in 1 transaction" excuse, and my "we must please every single person that walks through the door" ETL-GE will vibe it.

Forget prior purchase... It says valid dec 1-7. If their receipt says November 30, that clearly isn't within the coupon date range! How can you use it on a prior purchase if the purchase wasn't made during the eligible period -- doesn't matter that it doesn't say no use on prior purchases. It's all about how you tell the guest no. Granted there are some who will just bitch and whine regardless.

All fine and good until Guest Relations calls back to speak to your LOD who then wants to know why you didn't vibe it for them.

The night I had a scammer try to return a bunch of crap, get denied due to lack of receipt, only to have them call Guest Relations from outside the store about how terrible we were for denying a church lady an innocent return of some duplicate items, and then had Guest Relations call me and ask why we would deny such a return (umm, lack of receipt, the fact they weren't duplicate items for a church, etc, etc). Yeah, I found out quickly that Guest Relations is not my friend.

I did give her the choice of the 20% off current prices or getting the Black Friday prices.

So she purchased the items that weren't on sale on Friday (including a TV) again and will bring the original items back.

We've got the last laugh here...the 20% doesn't apply to electronic items!

We've got the last laugh here...the 20% doesn't apply to electronic items!

WERE WE NOT SUPPOSED TO RING IT UP FOR ELECTRONIC ITEMS? The coupon only said it didn't work for anything in video games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back