Archived Black Friday dud

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is even for stores who increased sales you have a massive increase in payroll spending. Pretty much we have created a less profitable Black Friday. And that is not a good thing.
Yup our numbers were up compared to last year but missed payroll by a couple grand. Still hiring more people, some things we have a ton of backstock, ionno where this stuff sells but it certainly doesn't sell in our store, probably doesn't help that someone on flow absolutely refuses to back stock anything and just loads up shelves. Pretty steady and heavy business throughout friday only real rush for about an hour or two opening thursday.

numbers in our area seemed to be strong, for the overall weekend.

friday it self was huge. bigger than stores here seemed to expect. last year the actual friday sale was tepid. traffic picked up after 9am and slowed after 1pm. this year traffic was intense from 9am and increased into the afternoon, stayed strong up until 8pm. our area stores were understaffed for the heavy friday traffic. basket size wasn't noticeably bigger but guests were buying big ticket items.

to that point, opening black friday (thursday) has been losing its muster for years. traffic has been declining for opening as the time of kick off has been moving up.

the retailers themselves are to blame for this, but its also an expected result. we're spreading the buying kick off out over the week. pre black friday offers/.com pricing is working out to retailers favor. overall sales are stronger if you count all fronts over multiple days, but the actual event of black friday has been deceasing as traffic slows and less dollars come out for opening.

for sometime many said this meant that we're going into a situation where retailers will lose interest in opening thanksgiving, but its been the opposite. its just meant spreading the holiday further and further out.

the most worrisome thing for me personally was the insane traffic on in store pick up. we're lucky to see 10 orders a day on normal, none of us expected traffic to increase into 10+ orders an hour. every time i saw more product being pushed to the hold i couldn't help but think of all the product we missed selling in store. even if half of pick up's do go shopping afterwards.

overall i think theres reasons to be happy about spots performance, the brand and our delivery do feel on an upswing.

We killed sales by about 200k. Did little over 1.3 million between Thursday/Friday. Worked crowd control at the beginning then was assigned to keep watch on some of the high value items.

Highlight of the night had to be the guy that tried to make a run for the door with a pair of beats and got clotheslined by a cop.

Wow 1.3 Mill? That store is a beast on BF... When stores get that busy I think they need to open another one close by to siphon off some of the sales! Target's weren't made to have that many people in it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back