Archived Black Thursday and you

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only had to do one price adjustment. It was a doll for Monster High. She had picked out 5 that were 5$ as per the ad and 1 for 12.99$ (she'd grabbed the wrong one. She said it was with all the others. She was the only one. Everyone else had picked the 5$ dolls. Since it was a Monster High Doll, just the wrong one, I adjusted. That was the only one all night. Everyone else had the right tags, no complaints (she didn't complain either), everyone was happy. Our burst lasted maybe 2 hours, then it slowed down. All in all, it was a fun night to work. Had dinner with my family around 12, went to work at 6.....yep, I'd do it again. Awesome day. I never shop on black Friday. I'm an online shopper, hate the crowds and lines. But being behind the register was fine.

Since it was first come first serverwe had a womens husband like 30 people behind her and its one ipad per guest so she asked me to put the last 1st gen air on the side. I politely and promptly declined.

Well it sold before her beloved husband hot there and they called an lod over and accused me of stealing it LOL

My Thursday was interesting to say the least. Only had 33 of the 40" Tvs and 4 of the 60".....so I had to break the 60+ people each after I handed out the tickets to tell them I was out and waiting till 9pm when the unclaimed ones went on the floor was the only other option.

We riled up the crowed with some excitement as we tossed the coupon poppers into the crowd...since the setup made it almost impossible to hand them out on a person to person basis. Coupons and popper wrappers were swept up around 9pm...almost none were used.

After opening I was line ambassador back in electronics. I discussed service plans, red cards and extras with guest purchases (headphones, memory cards, cases etc. etc.)

Helped remove only three people from the store, three for causing a scene and arguing with TM and guests and one for trying to incite a riot because we ran out of the cameras he wanted and he didn't get a ticket for either of the TVs (which he says I intentionally skipped him).

Helped answer questions, locate items, keep everything running smoothly then went home to my wife and kid and had left overs....lol

My store was pretty calm overall. Went in at 5pm, was crowd control thru HBA. There were no long lines to check out. My STL said ff were off the hook. Less people in store but compared to last yr first 2 hrs sales were higher. We were number 1 last year for sales. I can't imagine that this yr, just wasn't that busy. After lunch did reshop from guest service and basically zoned kitchen, pet chem and tried to keep shippers neat. Glad it's over for me normal truck time tomorrow. 2 trucks on Monday 2 and 4 am.

My store was pretty calm overall. Went in at 5pm, was crowd control thru HBA. There were no long lines to check out. My STL said ff were off the hook. Less people in store but compared to last yr first 2 hrs sales were higher. We were number 1 last year for sales. I can't imagine that this yr, just wasn't that busy. After lunch did reshop from guest service and basically zoned kitchen, pet chem and tried to keep shippers neat. Glad it's over for me normal truck time tomorrow. 2 trucks on Monday 2 and 4 am.

same at our store with flexable fullfillment, there were like over 200, about 80 were store pickup and rest were 2 day shipments. WTF, last year black friday weekend was blacked out and no ff at all.
'

We had a ton of flexible fulfillments too. They were coming in pretty steady. I think we were supposed to wait to pull them since none of them were due until starting at 7pm Friday. I'm pretty sure this was so guests in store could get the deals first. We started pulling them around midnight as the initial rush was finally over.

We were pretty dead and had more cashiers then we had registers quite a few times.. I didn't even have reshop or hangers for them to do.

I was playing babysitter at self checkout. Here's how my night went:
-6 PM: Three out of four working. The other one hasn't been working for two weeks and our GSTL got hung up on six times yesterday while trying to fix it.
1 down, 3 up
-6:45 PM: Guest tries to pay with credit card on a self checkout. Should be easy, right? Wrong! Machine freezes and requires a reboot.
2 down, 2 up
-7:30 PM: Machine that froze has been back, but decides to do it again! Reboot and permanently close.
2 down, 2 up
-8:15 PM: Come back from break and my cover(er) tells me the third machine froze. Reboot and pray for the best.
3 down, 1 up
-8:45 PM: DTL comes for a visit to check on us. STL is with her. She actually talks to me (!) and asks me how self checkouts are going.
Me: Well unfortunately we have been having problems with these three all night...
DTL: Hm! That's so weird! *awkward laugh and turns to STL* So I see you guys only have 41 red cards...
2 down, 2 up
-9:30 PM: Third machine gets one transaction in before heading to crash city. Reboot and permanently close.
3 down, 1 up
-10:15 PM: STL decides that we have to open all of the self checkouts that we can. I warn him, but he doesn;t listen.
1 down, 3 up
-10:30 PM: First machine freezes in the exact same spot as earlier. Reboot. and close permanently.
2 down, 2 up

For the rest of my shift, it seems the 2 that were working worked fine. I did, however, get a text this morning from a coworker who said that one went down around 2 AM and the other went into a reboot loop at 3:30 AM. As of right now:
3 down, 1 up

WTF. lod is an idiot for one tgere were no trucks tonight, and two tge computer will reject the raincheck cause of the giftcard offer. That reseller better have done 4 attachments per ipad to put you in that predicament. i would seriously have a convo with your stl about that, because that is unacceptle on so many levels.
Our store did get a truck tonight. And the system will let you print a rain check. Just not a proper rain check. It won't have a bar code on it. And the reseller only bought ipads no attachments. Then he said he will be back tomorrow to buy all the ipods and iTunes cards. And STL was there while the reseller bought the ipads because she talked him into letting her buy 2.
wow really bad stl, def should have negotiated a better deal for the aar. the rule is 4 per guest anyway. just one question though, how would you accept the raincheck without a barcode?
That part I honestly do not know. That would be an ETL question. ... maybe instead of getting a gift card they make a price adjustment on the ipad.

Price challenge, enter price, and then gives you an option for rain check.

I worked 12am to 12pm in electronics. The store was dead at 2:30 and then it picked WAY up at about 6, 6:15 or so. After that, all balls-to-the-wall until I left at noon.

Here's what my night consisted of, mixed with some highlights. (Other than the usual AAR, Redcard and ESP dribble)
  • Telling guests we were out of the doorbuster 40" Element TVs.
  • We have four, er two, uh actually none of the $229 iPad minis left.
  • We only have the teal beats solos left in stock. (For some reason our DC dumped that color on us, I think 74 of them to be exact)
  • The video rockers were up in furniture, not back here in electronics.
  • Telling guests that the beats solos were back in pFresh. Where the bananas usually sit. "No, I don't know why we put those there."
  • Watched an off-duty cop help an on-duty cop tackle a drunk woman to the ground. DUI anyone?
  • Watched the APL laugh hysterically at the reaction of a shoplifter when one of the off-duty cops caught him in the act.
  • Watched my green STL flounder horribly.
Eight years at target, I rate this one a 7/10. One of the more entertaining black fridays I've worked. No code greens this year, a first for me.

I worked from 5:45pm to 2:30am in toys mostly. Got a front-row seat for what went down in electronics (nothing major). Spent most of the time pointing guests in the right direction and assisting in finding remote-controlled dinosaurs, 40% off LEGO sets (we didn't have any), trying to figure out where karaoke machines were located (it wasn't just me). Did get pulled over to assist putting away stray in Baby and also sorted stray in the backroom twice (second time finished just before I had to go clock out). It was my first "Black Friday" of any sort and I thought was kind of interesting.

I was EXTREMELY impressed by the organization we had. Also liked how polite and (mostly) patient most of the guests I dealt with were. Most had the expectation that we would run out of items and weren't too disappointed when I told them we'd run out.

I get to go in at 5:30 this evening and work til midnight working in sporting goods (probably the area I know the least about, even after the baby department). Then I get Saturday and Sunday off. Yay!

All sales floor TM's were given a copy of the black friday ad with bar codes and locations. The problem was, the locations we were given were wrong so we had no idea where anything was.

I saw the guy who missed the TV this morning and told him about it. He ended up settling for a bigger TV that was a no name.

It went well for my store. We were #1 in sales comp for our district and I had 0 guest issues. I was crowd management + GSA in electronics. The store was steadily busy from 6pm until about 11:30/midnight, then there were spurts of guests but nothing more. The electronics department was a mess, but the rest of the store was pretty well zoned by the time I left - about 2AM. Endcaps were replaces and filled quickly and I'm really surprised at the team, they did a great job. Combining that with the best sales comp in the district, I would say it was a success!

It went well for my store. We were #1 in sales comp for our district and I had 0 guest issues. I was crowd management + GSA in electronics. The store was steadily busy from 6pm until about 11:30/midnight, then there were spurts of guests but nothing more. The electronics department was a mess, but the rest of the store was pretty well zoned by the time I left - about 2AM. Endcaps were replaces and filled quickly and I'm really surprised at the team, they did a great job. Combining that with the best sales comp in the district, I would say it was a success!
So can you send your team my way to help our disaster area? President Bush gave us the cold shoulder. (Huehue)

I was assigned to replenish electronics but since I'm the only TM in my store that knows how to effectively pull FF's, that is all I did last night. My estimate is between 70-80 for my 10 hour shift but I don't think we're a very FF heavy store.

There was definitely a lack of direction in electronics (Greenhorn E&E TL and a bunch of TM's that have never had a black Friday). The line ambassadors couldn't have done a very good job answering questions because I got them all once the store opened; basic stuff like where the Nikon, FitBit, 40" where located. APS said it was a rough night for the local PD.. Bunch of smashed windows, a few fights and someone even got tazed.

I worked Thursday 7;30PM-12AM. By some miracle, I get Friday off.

Spent the whole shift doing line ambassador at the front. Easily the most boring thing I've ever done while I worked here, asking people if they were ready to checkout, explaining the benefits of the redcard, and making sure people didn't cut in line.

The real fun for me begins the first week of December, since I usually work late or closing shifts. That week alone I'm closing 3 times (til 12:30 am each time).

I've got tomorrow's closing shift so I didn't have the pleasure of working the black Thursday rush, though from these posts, it seemed pretty tame for most.

Weird, most of our Black Thursday openers worked Friday too.

Past three days I did:

Thurs: 6 PM - 2:30 AM
Fri: 10:45 - 9:45
Sat: 7:30 - 4:00

I spent 1/3 of my shift doing strays. My store had strays in receiving and at the service desk, mostly toys. Electronics stuck their strays in the tiny electronics stock room. The last 2/3 of my shift was helping the Electronics department because of how slammed they were all day Friday, I was one of 4 electronics key carriers so I was mostly pulling things from the stockroom and unlocking games. At one point I had a line form behind me to unlock games, and then a lady flipped her shit at me because she couldn't grasp that we are OUT OF STOCK of the iPad she wanted. "BUT THEY ARE RIGHT THERE!" "Those are completely different, the iPad mini is not the same as an iPad air.

And for the love of god people WE DO NOT RAINCHECK TICKETED BLACK FRIDAY ITEMS.

as in black friday lull, which was really only from 12a-4a for my store. Not enough time to get it pushed considering you can't drag pallets and there was still a steady stream of guests. So glad my store didn't have a lull trailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back