Archived Brand New CTL - Any Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I've been with Target now for 2+ years, never intended to make a career of it, but looks like it's heading that way since I've recently been promoted to CTL after spending time as the reciever.

A couple of issues I'm facing are:
  • 4x4s, they're a pain in the butt. I get what they're about, and agree with their intent, but getting them done is proving difficult with the other workload;
  • Poor routines in Market (and, frankly, the store as a whole). Any suggestions from other CTL's as to what you do on a daily basis? Very often, I'm covering Market and not able to delegate anything as I AM the only person in that Workcenter. When I'm not in market, I'm on the sales floor and can only periodically check in on what's going on there. Really do not feel I'm getting the time to "manage" the area and people and make the changes I want to and feel are necessary;
  • What measures should I really be focusing on? I got to say, I didn't get a lot of training as Receiver and the "training" I've gotten so far has been Ad Hoc and limited. My ETL is great; he's been with the company for many years and know the lay-of-the-land, but I get the sense that he's performing triage, as well. It's put out this fire, then that one, then the one over there. We try to prioritize and identify our biggest Opportunities (Target-speak, I know) but making time for these results in having to play catch-up later on as staffing seems to always be insufficient due to lack of hours or lack of available people.

So, any collective wisdom out there?

Thanks!!

FerruzAXP

I'd like to say I have advice, but with the way things have been lately all I can say is welcome to the nightmare!

A couple questions for you, so I can get a better idea of what you're working with...are you in a super, PFresh, or gm? How many hours do you get for market each week and do you make the schedule (also are you on myTime or Max FSTL)? How much area are you responsible for, and are you or the POG team responsible for salesplanners?

Been a CTL, now Sr TL-Food...4x4's are great in theory, but not practical...I'm in a AA volume SuperT and am alone for most of the day...Between dealing with guest, vendors, CONSTANT calls for back-up, its extremely difficult to complete them, let a lone anything else...My best response would be to partner with your ETL and/or gain partners in other areas to assist you...

Been a CTL, now Sr TL-Food...4x4's are great in theory, but not practical...I'm in a AA volume SuperT and am alone for most of the day...Between dealing with guest, vendors, CONSTANT calls for back-up, its extremely difficult to complete them, let a lone anything else...My best response would be to partner with your ETL and/or gain partners in other areas to assist you...
Great answer! You are like my srtl at my store. Who is the ctl too.

Great answer! You are like my srtl at my store. Who is the ctl too.
i wonder if we are at the same store! lol!!

Okay. Let's face it… 4x4's are no quick task, but they're also not going anywhere since they're a critical piece of a puzzle regarding instocks and the company's focus on a great-looking store. One of the keys to nailing the 4x4 is planning. You have to be strategic about your zones throughout the week. Realistically, you won't be able to complete a 4x4 in a given area in one day without having zoned or maintained it the other six days when it isn't being 4x4ed (and is CERTAINLY being shopped). So, here's where the routine piece that you spoke about comes into play… First of all, you have to have a routine and you have to invest in your team's training. I can tell from your post that you're frustrated or concerned about the training that you did/did not receive. Don't do that to your team. Ensure that you take every opportunity to work with them and address collectively (and individually) what zone and 4x4 is and how to complete it efficiently while also moving quickly.

[[Action items:
1. Identify your opportunities. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. However, you will need a routine most where there is a broken process. Work with your tenured ETL to talk through those opps, identify the ROOT cause and build that routine around correcting the root of the opportunity.

2. Plan out--literally on a piece of paper--who can zone what aisles on what days throughout the day and during recovery. Make sure that the most heavily shopped areas are TRULY zoned well A) more than once a week and B) the day before the 4x4 so that you are guaranteeing 4x4 competition on the specified day (hope that part makes sense).]]

And as for being short on time… I understand the feeling 100%. I'm not sure there's anyone in the company who doesn't understand what you're going through. My biggest piece of advice is to take your team with you on your journey. You will and can not make progress if they don't have your back--so you need to have theirs. Make sure your PA's appreciate you because they are soundboards and can carry messages to your entire team when you're not there. The silver lining here is that 4x4's really do work and with each week, they will become easier and quicker to complete. They're a pain, but they really do make zoning easier.

I really hope that helps! Good luck and let me know how everything goes.
PS: I know that I write a lot. Don't hold this against me. Haha.

I know that when I was a CTL a couple of years back the two biggest things that helped me were my brand team member and my vendors. I fully agree with everyone above that says to take care of your team as best you can. They are the ones taking care of the department when you aren't there not only impacting the overall brand of your area, but your Vibe scores as well. They're immensely important to your store!

As far as vendors go, they love space and most will bring product in at the drop of a hat if it means they can get some more sales. I would always partner with them if I had some endcaps that were breaking or a PTM aisle that we didn't have enough product to flex through. This way I could keep my endcap presentation up, and usually I would pair similar Market Pantry/ Archer Farms items with theirs so that we were making up some of the profit margin that we could be losing by promoting the vendor's items. This would usually be a mix of things that either complimented the vendor product or just our equivalent of whatever it was.

I agree with "looking" get to know your vendors all of them....Liquor vendors are the worst, walk the order with them if u can, check to make sure they pulled from backroom before shelf order. The vendors at my store know my schedule so they know orders will not be approved unless I'm their. Also develop a good relationship with the receiving TMs their help is invaluable they run interference for me and I ask for their input with the Vendor Score Card.Again take care of your market team.....work side by side if can just for a few minutes to talk. Develop good routines around food safety(do mock steritech walks),get good cleaning routines established with a calendar for cleaning certain things daily,weekly, etc. It takes some time but you will get their...

I was put in the same position when I became a CTL as we'll found myself leading a team I never saw and kept being told to delegate more to them when I never worked with them.

A team requires relationships and relationships require communication what I suggest is posting up a white board somewhere your team can always see it and communicate to them through that and then also get a notebook that the team can then use to communicate back to you and each other as to what needs to be done tasks accomplished and any other necessary things the team should know of make sure they are checking both those every shift an trying to write in it each shift as well.

If you don't already have on try to fin yourself an assistant within your team someone who knows what their doing and will be able to speak to the department someone reliable that can almost work opposite of you so you can be comfortable knowing when your off they are there taking care of things.

Check where your bottom departments in sales are for example mine used to be the bakery table I focused on that immediately making sure that it is constantly being tpc'd and being reset when the new product arrives usually end up setting that myself so I know it's done right once that starts to show improvement move on to a new area and make sure the team knows the expectations for what's going on

Constantly check dates throughout all aisles and cull all day every day guests will love to see that your trying to see things are being kept fresh for them to choose from

Also vendors make your presence know to them give them your schedule so they know when to find you and always remember it is your grocery department not theirs some vendors you'll find you need to keep on a tight leash because they will try to twist your words and do things behind your back to try to make more money for them don't be afraid to ever say no or even refuse an order if you must. However most of them should be pretty good cause most normally for the most part enjoy their job and would like to keep it and will bring you just about anything you ask for or need always communicate as much as possible and maintain a good relationship with your receiver make sure their as up to date as you are they will see just about every single vendor where you might not have the time to hunt them all down all the time

We'll that was a novel just speaking from past experiences from my point of view

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back