Archived Break restrictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

HRZone

Former ETL HR
Does anyone else's store have any restrictions on where tms can take their breaks? Is that enforceable?

My store doesn't really care where we take our breaks, but obviously common sense don't look like you work here if you're on break and shopping around. No one gets bothered if they're sitting in foodave or sbux.

I do remember reading earlier last year here some stores don't let you take breaks outside of the break room or TMSC, can't find the topic though.

We aren't supposed to take ours in the AP office. Sometimes on busy days we'll take a quick 5 out of view of the camera.

We never take lunch in there though.

Does anyone else's store have any restrictions on where tms can take their breaks? Is that enforceable?
nope. as long as we aren't somewhere that makes it look like we're on the clock (behind photo desk, gs desk, etc) we're good.

when you're off the clock (30) they can't restrict you from going anywhere a guest could go, i've always assumed

In one of my older stores, they didn’t want you to leave property lines for the 15 minute breaks (going outside as long it was on Spot property was ok). I was in a mall store so on 15 minutes you couldn’t shop in the mall. 30 minutes you can do anything you wish.

In the fall though my HR ETL didn’t want TMs taking their breaks in the clerical area as some were distracting the HRTM. That rule didn’t really last too long though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember being told that we weren't to leave the property for 15s, but that's it.

Definitely seems to be management determined. We had an STL who refused to let us take breaks in cafe 9r anywhere guests think we are just being lazy. Then she refused to let us be anywhere but the breakroom even going so far as to refuse smoke breaks. You can guess where that lead and how long that lasted. This management team now though doesnt even know when we go on breaks let alone care where. I always go around our area hitting spots for my mobile game never hear nothing about it. Honestly if you are on a 15 I guess your not technically off spot time but when clocked out for lunch thats all you. As long as you dont take equipment with you I dont see how they can enforce anything. My equipment always stays in my locker when I head off spot campus.

Yes.

General:

You have to stay on Target property during your rest breaks. This one is enforceable because it is straight from the Handbook.

General Rest Break Rules.jpg

Rest breaks are on-the-clock so there are liability issues that Target wants to avoid.

For meal breaks, you can go wherever you want since you are off-the-clock.

Specific:

TMs are recommended to take their rest breaks and meal breaks inside the breakroom (handbook).

No eating at any areas with computers. Drinks are okay though.

My Food TL doesn't like TMs taking their breaks at Food Ave because Guests complain about not being able to get a table.

Not sure if there are official policies relating to these last two but that's how we have been rolling for years.

Last edited:
You could take breaks or lunch at Cafe and Starbucks but any food or drink had to be from those areas or from Spot in general. If you had gotten food from any other place you had to go to the breakroom.

Yeah we have a ban on taking your break in cafe and Starbucks
but people can still order stuff, right?

i mean idk why you'd want to sit out there and have guests try to talk with you when you could be in the breakroom.

i usually split my time between shopping, break room, and chatting with the HRTM

but people can still order stuff, right?

i mean idk why you'd want to sit out there and have guests try to talk with you when you could be in the breakroom.

i usually split my time between shopping, break room, and chatting with the HRTM

Yup our starbucks team members take their break in cafe and bother the closer so I assume that's why we have the rule. It's very unpopular.

Yup our starbucks team members take their break in cafe and bother the closer so I assume that's why we have the rule. It's very unpopular.
i just don't get why. i'd much prefer to sit in the breakroom or chat with the hrtm than have guests bothering me the whole time.

idk

I overheard a portion of an orientation session, and the newbs were asked to keep breaks and meals off stage, and to put on an overshirt or coat if they have to shop during our breaks to cover up the red. I don't recall anything being said during my own orientation, and I'm certain nobody has said anything to me personally since then. There have, however, been a few wee-hours-of-the-morning meetings that I haven't been able to attend, and I have no idea what was discussed at any of those because communication with front end team sucks.

I can see how it could get annoying for leaders. I hate when TMs are on "break" but will stand around chit chatting with TMs who are supposed to be working. I just shoo them away telling them to go enjoy their break and let the others work. We don't like them taking their break in TSC because they can get loud and distruptive to people using the computers or the HRTM

My store is part of a plaza but they say we need to stay in the store. I usually go to my car and sit there or go to the ATM in front/behind the Target store. Nobodies said anything to me yet. HR giving our orientation told us to not take breaks at Food Avenue but it’s not really enforced.

None as long as you don't leave the property on your 15s.

I shoot the shit with people in TMSC all the time for the last part of my meals because the time clock is 6ft away and the chairs are softer than the ones in the break room. Very rarely is anyone using the computers and even when they are, like seasonal hires reading through employment stuff with HR, I talk to them too and nobody cares

We don't like them taking their break in TSC because they can get loud and distruptive to people using the computers or the HRTM
Our leadership put the cabash on TMs hanging around TSC because HRTMs handle a lot of personal/confidential info.
One time a TM saw somebody's coaching paperwork & blabbed about it around the store until the subject of the coaching quit.

I mean that’s insane. I would never look at any papers on anyone’s desk (because if I had one I’d expect the same from others) and if I even saw something by accident I wouldn’t talk about it

I spend my breaks at Starbucks because when there's double coverage over there one of them will be on break at the same time as me and we can chat about stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back