Archived Break restrictions

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just don't get why. i'd much prefer to sit in the breakroom or chat with the hrtm than have guests bothering me the whole time.

idk

I don't think guest bother team members at their break when they are at Starbucks or cafe.

On the floor for sure but when I'm at cafe guest don't ask me for anything lol. But i know team members bothered team members and yeah our food service tl put a quick stop to that. Any rules like that at your bux @Yetive and @redeye58

Never heard of this before. At my store you can take break at Starbucks, go outside, go next door, go buy a few things on the floor, if you live close enough you can even run home real quick if you want

I don't think guest bother team members at their break when they are at Starbucks or cafe.

On the floor for sure but when I'm at cafe guest don't ask me for anything lol. But i know team members bothered team members and yeah our food service tl put a quick stop to that. Any rules like that at your bux @Yetive and @redeye58
problem is i usually forget my black jacket so i'd just be sitting there in red and khaki. i really need to start remembering it.

I should have said no breaks in Sbux unless you buy Sbux.

As long as you dont take equipment with you I dont see how they can enforce anything.

Yeah. Nothing like having two shifts in one day, a couple hours between them, and while you are shopping between your shifts you hear on the radio "Bring the zebra back." Whoops!

On the floor for sure but when I'm at cafe guest don't ask me for anything lol.

I've also never been bothered when I sit in the cafe area. At times I'm too lazy to go get a pizza and then carry it all the way back into the break room. A couple of times when shopping, but every guest has been understanding when I say I'm off the clock.

While I don't usually leave the building on my 15s, nobody has said I couldn't. Lunches I leave the store all the time.

However when I first started and was working overnight flow we weren't even allowed to go outside for our breaks. I personally didn't care, but the smokers did. Also our orientation group was never told we couldn't leave the store during overnights. So that was a surprise to many on their first night.

While I don't usually leave the building on my 15s, nobody has said I couldn't. Lunches I leave the store all the time.

However when I first started and was working overnight flow we weren't even allowed to go outside for our breaks. I personally didn't care, but the smokers did. Also our orientation group was never told we couldn't leave the store during overnights. So that was a surprise to many on their first night.

Yeah my old overnight store was the same way. Shady area so they locked people in overnight. With a 30 being off the clock I am not sure how a company can enforce that to someone who demands to leave.

Yeah my old overnight store was the same way. Shady area so they locked people in overnight. With a 30 being off the clock I am not sure how a company can enforce that to someone who demands to leave.
All stores in my district enforce the policy. The reasoning is that the alarm must remained armed during certain hours. If it's taken down during restricted times, alarm exceptions pop up. It's actually a store metric.

I still don't understand how the policy can be legally enforced though. Some states are very worker friendly and I'm surprised would allow it.

I have been interrupted by guests when I'm in Starbucks. Not often, but it does happen. Drink in one hand, book in another. Clearly not working. But they see red and their brains shut down.

All I have seen so far is can't take it by the checklanes. I.e can't be chatting with someone on the clock and can't take it at TSC. I used to hear them stopping people from taking it at food Ave but they gave up on that.

My Food TL doesn't like TMs taking their breaks at Food Ave because Guests complain about not being able to get a table.
Wtf so what just because I work at target I shouldn’t be allowed to eat a table like anyone else lol

Wtf so what just because I work at target I shouldn’t be allowed to eat a table like anyone else lol

Yeah, we don't personally mind TMs being there either. It's just that regular guests decided to complain so my TL had to start doing it. No one in my store really minds it much though since we have a breakroom that is located in an area away from any annoying guests. My team really likes watching TV while eating lunch too. The Chew seems to be a favorite.

Not if you didn't buy something.

Yep, exactly! If you didn't purchase food and drinks there, you need to go to the breakroom. Paying customers get dibs on the tables.

All stores in my district enforce the policy. The reasoning is that the alarm must remained armed during certain hours. If it's taken down during restricted times, alarm exceptions pop up. It's actually a store metric.

I still don't understand how the policy can be legally enforced though. Some states are very worker friendly and I'm surprised would allow it.

Yeah the other issue was its hard to tell people they cant leave when plano was coming in at 4am.

I have been interrupted by guests when I'm in Starbucks. Not often, but it does happen. Drink in one hand, book in another. Clearly not working. But they see red and their brains shut down.

I just dont get what they want from you. The cafe is a weird place to ask someome in red and khaki where the toothpaste is.

I have had people when I'm on break in cafe ask where the bathroom is but that's a rather harmless question

No restrictions with the exception of certain days like Black Friday; then we're expected to take breaks and meals at our scheduled times (on little slips of paper) so the floor is still covered. We're allowed to go outside, sit in Food Ave. I've noticed certain TMs seem to usually take their break in the HRTM's office, which makes me wonder sometimes how she gets her work done (she's still turned around, facing her computer, while others are sitting on the floor or standing behind her).
Personally, I like to wait until after the store opens so I've got as much pushed as I can before shopping begins.

Crap, I had no idea you aren't supposed to leave during your 15. In fact, just this morning I was talking to the HR TL and mentioned I was taking my break now and going to the fast food place in our parking lot, and I asked her if she wanted anything. Doh!

Crap, I had no idea you aren't supposed to leave during your 15. In fact, just this morning I was talking to the HR TL and mentioned I was taking my break now and going to the fast food place in our parking lot, and I asked her if she wanted anything. Doh!

Most stores don't enforce this. I think it has to do with the fact you are technically still being paid so they want you on the premises.

lol You are probably fine if the HRTL didn't say anything to you about it. If the fast food joint is located within the same plaza as your store, they most likely don't mind (ASANTS though - some actually want you to stay inside Target while others don't care at all). Just don't cross the street because you might not make it back in time for the end of your 15 mins. Those pesky traffic lights take forever to change and hold you up on the crosswalk.

TMs are allowed breaks/lunches in the cafe but aren't allowed to pester/visit with FA/SBTMs.
Our SBTL has also chased off many an early morning cashier who expects to get a drink before we're open.

Yeah, I've left my store before to get food, and lots of other TMs at my store have. It makes sense to be a rule and enforced but at the same time it's harmless... my STL leaves to get food all the time so the whole store basically does if they feel like it lol

Yeah, I've left my store before to get food, and lots of other TMs at my store have. It makes sense to be a rule and enforced but at the same time it's harmless... my STL leaves to get food all the time so the whole store basically does if they feel like it lol

Your STL isn't an hourly employee. He's still on the clock when he goes home at night. I have called my stl when they are on vacation in Hawaii in an emergency.

Last edited:
Being overnight not sure it counts on this thread, but no limits for us. Can take first break anywhere in or outside the store, second break can’t go outside as the store is locked, but anywhere inside the store is fine. I usually sit in food ave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back