Breaks

I’m on B2 and we get a 28 minute break at 7pm and an 18 minute break at 10pm. Curious about how strict your building is regarding how long you guys have until your OM wants you to be back and scanning.

We have a bell that alerts the TMs that their break will be up soon.

Repercussions range from coaching to DA if behavior is not improved.
Crazy thing is we USED to have that second bell but they just got rid of it with no notice until a week later. I noticed it but plenty others didn’t. So now that they finally tell us, they are being dictators about it. They are vultures at our DC. Sometimes they will hide in the break room to see who got there too soon after the first bell or will pop in and tell us to hurry up and leave

Crazy thing is we USED to have that second bell but they just got rid of it with no notice until a week later. I noticed it but plenty others didn’t. So now that they finally tell us, they are being dictators about it. They are vultures at our DC. Sometimes they will hide in the break room to see who got there too soon after the first bell or will pop in and tell us to hurry up and leave
I mean, they are paying you to work.

I’m on B2 and we get a 28 minute break at 7pm and an 18 minute break at 10pm. Curious about how strict your building is regarding how long you guys have until your OM wants you to be back and scanning.
I’ve always been confused on the topic because be if I was at the store and I did 8 hours I would get 2 15s and a 30 but on the DC 12 hours shift I get a 30 and a 25. It definitely has something to do with us still getting paid for our breaks but idk who dictates the amount of time and when.

For some departments if you have over a 7 minute gap in scans it's considered "accountable" time. So if you have to walk back to your equipment and then drive back to the aisle you were in.....

They want you to work bell to bell. No leaving for break early, no staying after the end of break after the bell rings.

It's also going to vary from department to department and OM to OM.

For some departments if you have over a 7 minute gap in scans it's considered "accountable" time. So if you have to walk back to your equipment and then drive back to the aisle you were in.....
Also some DCs have upgraded their PIT with a telemetry system so the OMs can pull up a report on when your equipment stopped moving and for how long... Can also send messages and locate where the PIT is in the building.

They want you to work bell to bell. No leaving for break early, no staying after the end of break after the bell rings.

Won't be long until they start doing scan to scan break times like amazon and do away with the bell entirely.

Also some DCs have upgraded their PIT with a telemetry system so the OMs can pull up a report on when your equipment stopped moving and for how long... Can also send messages and locate where the PIT is in the building.

Won't be long until they start doing scan to scan break times like amazon and do away with the bell entirely.

I see things haven't changed since I left. Working at a DC continues to get worse every year.

I’ve always been confused on the topic because be if I was at the store and I did 8 hours I would get 2 15s and a 30 but on the DC 12 hours shift I get a 30 and a 25. It definitely has something to do with us still getting paid for our breaks but idk who dictates the amount of time and when.
It's decided by the state you live in and the shift you're working. So blame your state for that.

I've also surmised that the reason we only get two breaks is because they're paid. Honestly, I've never had a break matrix like this working 12's. My last job was 8.5 hours. In which we had two 10 min paid breaks (everyone took 15 some even took 20) and an unpaid 30 min. The timing of the breaks made work bearable. Work two hours break, work two hours, lunch, work two hours break, then work two more hours to shift end. I'm having a hard time adjusting to this break matrix. I'd rather have the 25 min break at the end of the shift when it's needed most.

Back