Archived Breavement

Status
Not open for further replies.
My grandfather passed a few days ago and the funeral is Friday during my shift.
Is there a way I can get it off or will i have to swap shifts. If i cant swap shifts i will most likely have to call out which i hate doing.

What is the process for bereavement. do i get paid? I know since i am scheduled its my responsibility but i heard if it was for a death then HR takes care of it, which i have no idea if it's true or not.

there is only one other person in my store trained for CO and she works another job.

I dont go in til Wednesday. should I call my HR and let them know.. or what?

here is spot policy:
Distant Relatives/Close Friends:
Up to four hours of paid time may be granted for the death of a close friend or distant relative.
Total hours paid cannot exceed more than 40 hours for an 8 or 10-hour shift or 36 hours for a 12-hour shift.
Please see HR at your location for a Time-Off Request.
If you have additional questions about bereavement pay, please see HR at your location.

please call your hr without delay. having a copy of the obit helps too.
sorry for your loss.

Sorry for your loss.

Yit-gadal v'yit-kadash sh'may raba b'alma dee-v'ra che-ru-tay, ve'yam-lich mal-chutay b'chai-yay-chon uv'yo-may-chon uv-cha-yay d'chol beit Yisrael, ba-agala u'vitze-man ka-riv, ve'imru amen.

Y'hay sh'may raba me'varach le-alam uleh-almay alma-ya.

Yit-barach v'yish-tabach, v'yit-pa-ar v'yit-romam v'yit-nasay, v'yit-hadar v'yit-aleh v'yit-halal sh'may d'koo-d'shah, b'rich hoo. layla (ool-ayla)* meen kol beer-chata v'she-rata, toosh-b'chata v'nay-ch'mata, da-a meran b'alma, ve'imru amen.

Y'hay sh'lama raba meen sh'maya v'cha-yim aleynu v'al kol Yisrael, ve'imru amen.

O'seh shalom beem-romav, hoo ya'ah-seh shalom aleynu v'al kol Yisrael, ve'imru amen.

Thank you. <3

I called HR but they were on lunch so I'm giving it more time and calling back in an hour or so.
Thank you guys.

So sorry for your loss.
Hope they work things out for you.
Keeping you in our thoughts.<3

sorry for your loss with both of my grandpas and my grandmother i got a few days off no questions asked and got paid for it. i think you can get up to 5 days off for a close family like mom dad child, grandparents

Good to hear your HR is doing their job and helping you the best they can. I too lost someone who I loved with all my heart and was part of my life my whole life. I do not know what to say other then, if you ever need someone to hear you out you can always message me. Some days will be hard, unmanageable, and some days will be good, may you and your family find the peace and comfort you need through this difficult time. and most importantly, know that you are not alone in this and that you have each other!

I used it once. From what I remember, it has to be a blood relative or close friend. I reported that I had a passing in my family to my ETL-HR immediately. They asked if the funeral was in-state or out-of-state, and if coincided with any of my shifts. The ETL-HR told me to fill out a leave form and she would mark it as bereavement.

All she then told me to call the LOD the morning of my shift to remind them that I was calling in for my shift to attend the funeral.

So just an update.
I was cited as a No Call No Show.
I went in on Saturday, the day after the funeral. I was taken to the GSTL office and they said I was a NCNS and I refused to sign the paper. The ETL was just "just sign it and make it easier for everyone else'

I flat out said no, and said "No. I will not, I called and talked to ______ and she said that she will fill out the paper for me and take care of my shift.

Which irritates me is that they called another TM ON Wednesday to see if they could cover my FRIDAY shift, they agreed blah blah blah, but I was still written down as a NCNS by the ETL. (who knew why I was missing the day)

I told the ETL who I talked too and ETl then said "oh okay, we'll figure this out. Just sign and it'll be fixed"
I told her I was NOT going to sign cuz that means I would have agreed to something that didn't happen.

Sigh....

Long story short. I didn't sign and I didn't get paid Bereavement cuz I don't meet average hours.
I'm so frustrated. I went home and filled out applications for jobs everywhere. I need out of Target.

I shouldn't get getting 11 hours as a GSA trained in MANY locations and denied hours when I try and take other peoples shifts.

I mean, I would understand if they were trying to fire me, they could easily coach me on my attendance for JUST this month (I had to call out twice in one month cuz my husband was taken by ambulance)
But.. are they trying to make me quit. Ugh.

Sorry, I just needed a rant :(
I'm so stressed. Two family members died and then my dog of 8 years passed and my husband is very sick-______________________________________________-

Happy thoughts. Happy thoughts.
Things will get better...
:wacko::wacko::hysteric::hysteric::hysteric::hysteric:

Sorry about your loss. Get the obit & show it your hr or stl. That should be enough & tell them who you had spoken to in advance. Just in case, print out policy on workbench.

Sorry about your loss. Get the obit & show it your hr or stl. That show be enough.

I did. Well I showed them the "Memorial Announcement"
They don't doubt there was a funeral.
I just don't get enough hours to get Bereavement benefits.

Show the print policy from ehr & the obit. Tell them who you had spoken about it.
You can print the policy on ehr at home, from a laptop computer too.

Last edited:
I know having to deal with their dreck is frustrating and not something you really want to to deal with right now but don't let them back you down.
The Master of Hardlines is right, make copies of the policy and keep pushing back.
Hit them with some serious guilt, what they did is flat out frelling wrong and they can't be aloud to get away with it.
But I'm sorry again that you have to be the one who has to deal with the little smegheads after going through so much.
My prayers are with you.

Last edited:
I used it once. From what I remember, it has to be a blood relative or close friend. I reported that I had a passing in my family to my ETL-HR immediately. They asked if the funeral was in-state or out-of-state, and if coincided with any of my shifts. The ETL-HR told me to fill out a leave form and she would mark it as bereavement.

All she then told me to call the LOD the morning of my shift to remind them that I was calling in for my shift to attend the funeral.

interesting. what about when you have a death before your shift starts, and you can't come in because you have to go to the hospital to deal with the process? or for the days you take off to grieve?

i didn't get paid for any of it, nor was i told about it (i qualify for all benefits due to my average) but then again, our etl-hr at the time was incompetent.

Last edited:
AsAd, I wouldn't have signed it either.
Keep pushing & don't let them drop it. They're trying to make it seem as tho it was your fault & that you didn't follow protocols when you did.
We're pulling for you.

Wasn't able to talk to anyone today. There was a visit and everyone from Hr was following the District person like a puppy around the store. Gonna talk to them on Wednesday when I go back in.
Thanks guys. I mean it's only 4 hours but it's not the money so much any more, it's the.. for lack of a better word, principle.
Thanks again <3

First off, sorry for the loss in your family. Second, sorry getting your bereavement at work has become a problem. But, third, I am so NOT SURPRISED at all that they are dilly dallying. I don't know your specific store situation. And I apologize in advance to any HR people on here who actually have souls (I know that sounds rough) but HR, in my opinion, is not there for the employees. HR solely exists at the store level to 1) keep company benefits hidden from employees so they can't use them 2) obstruct employees from using the benefits if they do know about them and 3) delay/deny the benefits if they are used. Sorry, I know that is a harsh statement. If it wasn't for our HR team member, who is a wonderful person by the way, things would really be even worse. Unfortunately,our ETL-HR is pushing her out of the position, probably because she actually cares. We'll probably get some coal hearted grinch now. I would rather just deal with a computer than our ETL-HR. At least technology is neutral. I feel she goes out of her way to hurt people.

Our ETL-HR is the same way. If she says it, there's a 50/50 shot it's a lie. I wish you all the luck in the world on this. Keep us updated!

I ALWAYS help any team member who has a question. I seek them out when they seem too shy or nervous to ask. I make sure that team members are able to use any tool or benefit that they have coming to them. For team members who don't know what benefits they might have available to them, check on eHR. Or call the benefits number at 1-800-828-5850, and they can make sure you know.

I do want to say that many team members don't know their benefits because they don't read their benefits packages.

I also want to say that many team members believe what their fellow team member told them; and I've heard some very interesting twists on the truth.

I constantly am searching for team members to give them their messages from headquarters, benefits packages, and checking if they need any help.

Buckwill - we may work at the same store.

At my store, tm seek answers from me because the ETL-HR is too young, arrogant, and doesn't know the answers and puts people off till they quit asking.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back