Archived Calling out for a wake

Status
Not open for further replies.
A close friend of my family passed away the other day and services are tonight so I will be calling out. I told them about this yesterday and they said I still needsd to follow protocol and call out today.

I know we don't get funeral pay for just a friend, but my question is, would I be allowed to use sick hours to make up for the day?

You can if you imply that you're sick.

Officially the only way to use sick pay is if you miss work due to being sick (or one of the other narrow reasons defined by your local/state laws).

Better to lie and get paid than tell the truth and be told too bad. There won't be any follow up to make sure you really were sick.

No one but hr will know you used sick pay so just don't say anything. Put in the request and see what happens.

Funeral pay
Yes, you can get funeral pay, like you did last year.

Technically its supposed to be someone in your family but HR can key it for any death/funeral

The one thing your link mentioned is you need 20 hours average but i have keyed it for people getting less and they still got paid.

Technically its supposed to be someone in your family but HR can key it for any death/funeral

The one thing your link mentioned is you need 20 hours average but i have keyed it for people getting less and they still got paid.
Near the bottom of document, you can get 4 hours paid leave for close friend/distant relative for the funeral.
You are correct on the 20 hours or more to get it. The op had a death last year & got funeral pay for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back