Archived Call-in for OVN

Status
Not open for further replies.
To clarify, at my old job, call-in is calling in an employee to work a day he doesn't work and calling out is when an employee calls out of a shift. It seems to be the opposite or just one word in other jobs so I always get confused when I try to talk to a friend at a different job about it lol.

Anyway, I usually work Mon to Thurs OVN, but since I worked a whopping 36 hours last week, I was only given 12 hours this week, Tues to Thurs. OK. I kept an eye on my schedule to see if they would make sudden changes (I made a previous thread about it) but nothing, and no word about needing me Monday.

SO. It's Monday and I'm enjoying Memorial Day with my family. I fall asleep on the sofa at about 9pm, wake up at 1am and see that I have a call from Target asking me to come in. They called at 10pm when I need to get ready BY 10pm in order to make it in time for my 11pm shift (or maybe they would have let me come in at midnight like before). Even if I had been awake when they called, I would have declined. I've been up all day, how do you expect me to do a good night's work with no sleep? And just an hour notice? Our signer told me that they'll probably call me in so be prepared but uh, you should decide that ahead of time instead of last minute? Unless you don't mind me passed out for an hour. OVN is different from dayshift (I've done this for four years at a different job), isn't there some 8 hour or 24 hour advance notice requirement or is that only if they cancel your shift?

There's no notice required, nor is there an expectation that you show up at a certain time, answer your phone, etc. If you consistently don't answer or say no, they might stop calling you when they have an open shift, but other than that there's no consequence.

They were offering to give you an extra shift because they needed the help. You were not required to go in or even answer your phone because it wasn't your shift originally. They might have known that they needed you for a while and hadn't gotten around to asking, or maybe they found out 2 minutes before they called.

Also: call in, call off, and call out are all the same thing - it's just when a team member calls the store to say they aren't going to show up for their shift. Team members can call within 2 hours AFTER the start of their shift, so they could have even called you at 1am to come in and cover a shift that had started at 11pm.

Last edited:
If you are scheduled off then you are off. If they call and you don't want to answer or answer and tell them thanks but no thanks that is your choice. Personally its very rare that I will answer the phone when they call. I will listen to the message they leave and if I want to go in I will just call them back.

If you are scheduled off then you are off.
That's not necessarily the case. I doubt any stores actually enforce it, unless under very special circumstances, but Target can notify you that you are now scheduled on a day when you were scheduled off. I have no idea how far in advance you must be notified, but Target does reserve this right if you are employed by them.

That's not necessarily the case. I doubt any stores actually enforce it, unless under very special circumstances, but Target can notify you that you are now scheduled on a day when you were scheduled off. I have no idea how far in advance you must be notified, but Target does reserve this right if you are employed by them.

Eh that might be your state. In worker friendly states they cannot change your schedule once posted. Out etl HR made a mistake and we had to close Starbucks once because no one wanted a shift when we left a gap in coverage.

), isn't there some 8 hour or 24 hour advance notice requirement or is that only if they cancel your shift?

Realistically you have to know people don't always call out 8 hours in advance. I think your store wanted your help knowing there was little chance you would come in. It's not really a big deal i am sure you are one of many who decided not to come in.

its 24 hour notice which is a day. I wasn't referring to that. If they are going to change the schedule they are suppose to give you 24 hours notice. Ie, adding you on a day etc. However, I was talking about them calling and asking if you want to come in to fill a shift etc. Them calling and asking you to come in is different than then giving you twenty four hours notice and adding you on the schedule. Once the schedule is posted any changes ie added hours days and or cuts tms are suppose to be given 24 hours notice. Does this always happen. No. But its suppose too

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back