Archived Calling off sick within my first 5 weeks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone so I'm an Early morning flow team member and I really like working here. I work part time and have no pto. Over the past week and a half, I've come in 3 extras days because my boss nicely asked me to. I've worked every day for the past almost two weeks (I didn't work Sunday) today was an extra day but I felt myself starting to get sick. But I went to work knowing I was ok. It got much worse through out the day. I know for a fact I have strep throat. I feel awful. Can I call out tomorrow sick within my first 5 weeks? I was hoping my boss wouldn't get too upset, since I came in 3 extras days because she needed me to. Any advice?

Have you made a doctor appointment tomorrow for the strep test? If you call (now!) and tell the LOD you're pretty sure you have strep and have a doctor's appointment tomorrow to get it checked out, they should be fine with it. Strep is highly contagious and it's not worth you coming in to spread it to others.

Bring a note from the doc, just in case.

Can't guarantee it won't be used against you at your 90 days, but one sick day shouldn't be a deal breaker.

Talk to your leadership now. If they're not in then talk to any ETL that's in the store. At the end of the day leaders are more upset at the lack of action you take to mitigate the negative affects of your absence. I'm much more lenient with TMs who tell me way ahead of time that they won't be able to make it or that they've already found a replacement or offer to work a different shift.

Talk to your leadership now. If they're not in then talk to any ETL that's in the store. At the end of the day leaders are more upset at the lack of action you take to mitigate the negative affects of your absence. I'm much more lenient with TMs who tell me way ahead of time that they won't be able to make it or that they've already found a replacement or offer to work a different shift.

Update*

She answered and I told her and she goes "you just started and you want to take off. What's wrong?" Idk what to make of that... you can tell that once she knew it was me, she was happy to hear from me. She asked me how I liked my job and everything. Once I told her that I needed to call Off, she instantly became annoyed. I shouldn't feel like a loser for taking one day off... especially when I worked 3 days overtime within a week and a half

Last edited:
Did you explain it was for strep throat? Can bring in something from a doctor confirming that?

You aren't allowed to get sick/ have a family member die/ or any life in your first 90 days. So make sure your family is all healthy. If you have to, kill off any unhealthy family members before you start.

Don't ever show up with something that is contagious. I'd voluntarily give the doctors info to your HR department. They DO NOT WANT YOU THERE! Depending on the State you work in, Target won't cut you for this. Showing up sick and risking other's is not acceptable.

If it is indeed Strep. It is no fun. Get treated ASAP.

The fact that flow breaks down a lot of cardboard can stir up allergies, sinus troubles, and throat irritation. Let your TL or ETL know immediately. Check with your doc and if they recommend missing work note or provide restriction documentation.

At our store, they expect us to come in if it's "just a cold" but anything more serious, they don't want you there infecting others.

If they want to get pissy about it, I agree with Redeye... go in their office and cough like mad without covering your mouth, they'll change their tune.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back