Calling off through mytime

You're right, a single call off is not a pattern of poor attendance. But a single call off every week is a pattern. If you call off weekly because you have homework, you need to reduce your desired hours or find a new job. Or get used to being pulled into the office a couple times per month until y

Last edited:
If this "test" becomes a thing I hope it will show in myday under team view. It would be nice to be able remove TM from schedule when trying to see who is here and who has called out.

it's tough to get a hold of anyone at our store anyway, this might be a step up...LOL to reach anyone in our store it's just the basic public phone number how is it at your store?

it's tough to get a hold of anyone at our store anyway, this might be a step up...LOL to reach anyone in our store it's just the basic public phone number how is it at your store?
I was sick and had to call off last week.

I called the store numerous times then decided to just call Electronics and ask for a TL.

I worked at a call center over ten years ago that had a specific call off number that after you hung up left you with a verification code.

Attendance is a problem easily resolved by just paying people more, and offering them actual sick time. Pay people more money and they'll be less inclined to call off work. Barring that, it's completely pointless to ask why a person isn't coming to work.

They will either be there, or they won't. And the reason doesn't change that. Prying a reason out of people just has them call out at the last possible minute. It's far more effective to just say "Hey, hope everything is OK. Do you think you'll be back for your next shift?"

If you build this culture - people will naturally tell you the actual reason and will tend to call off earlier which leaves you as a leader in a better position to pivot plan.

Last edited:
Attendance is a problem easily resolved by just paying people more, and offering them actual sick time. Pay people more money and they'll be less inclined to call off work. Barring that, it's completely pointless to ask why a person isn't coming to work.

They will either be there, or they won't. And the reason doesn't change that. Prying a reason out of people just has them call out at the last possible minute. It's far more effective to just say "Hey, hope everything is OK. Do you think you'll be back for your next shift?"

If you build this culture - people will naturally tell you the actual reason and will tend to call off earlier which leaves you as a leader in a better position to pivot plan.
I agree with everything except one point: how does offering sick time help with attendance issues? Doesn't that incentivize people to call off?

Disagree. Our DC has sick pay, people treat it like free vacation And a get out of jail free card. Late for work? Use sick pay to avoid getting a hit. Want to go home early to see the game? Sick pay. get denied a vacation request because calendar is full? Sick pay. And those huge spikes over the past year in wages DID NOT impact call ins at all. When a company hires without screening or interviews, how could they not see these issues coming?

I agree with everything except one point: how does offering sick time help with attendance issues? Doesn't that incentivize people to call off?

It just means that you don't have to use your vaca time when you come down with the flu.
Everyone gets sick and coming into work when you can give it to everyone else is not how we should be handling life.
Providing people with the freedom to call out, to know they don't have to worry about paying their bills, is how things are supposed to work.
And if someone is mentally crashing, just can't face a day at work, letting them take a day isn't a bad thing either.
There is a reason this damned country has such a high rate of untreated mental ilness.

With some of the younger folks paying more isn’t going to help the call off situation. They have something better to do they will call off period.

When I called in sick last week it was the day BEFORE my shift at 6:00 PM on my day off.

I was annoyed that my ETL asked whether I would be in for shift tomorrow.

Isn't that why I called?

I do find it odd that Target offers sick pay instead of additional PTO.

I believe it is because not every state let's worker get sick pay so therefore doesn't do it if they aren't required.

Having sick time gives you a bucket in which you get paid for being sick - which generally means people will call off when they're sick or otherwise unable to work. If they exhaust that sick time, now they're not getting paid at all, and they are less likely to call off. If you have no sick time, all of your time is sick time - may as well call off for whatever, because there's no difference. It's a perception/mindset moreso than something grounded in pure logic.
Disagree. Our DC has sick pay, people treat it like free vacation And a get out of jail free card. Late for work? Use sick pay to avoid getting a hit. Want to go home early to see the game? Sick pay. get denied a vacation request because calendar is full? Sick pay. And those huge spikes over the past year in wages DID NOT impact call ins at all. When a company hires without screening or interviews, how could they not see these issues coming?
Can you elaborate on these huge spikes?
Working in a DC is miserable in general, I'd imagine folks to call off more often in general, just based on the number of employees in pool. If those pay spikes were more than 25% increases I'd be willing to bet if you looked at call-offs for employees over 90 days year over year, the numbers are much lower.
With some of the younger folks paying more isn’t going to help the call off situation. They have something better to do they will call off period.
This attitude is exactly why younger folks don't give a shit. It's Target, age is irrelevant. My third grader could do 80% of the jobs.

The inverse is also true. Most "old" people, we'll say the 55+ range here, solve issues by just working more, or working harder. I find younger folks are more receptive to root causing. Work smarter not harder. They have a lot of options, if you want them to stop calling off then hire less of them and pay the ones you do hire more.

Target is not a career for most young people. It is a job - no one wants to work in retail forever.

Ha. Base pay at my store went up quite a bit plus we are getting the holiday weekend pay and we have sick pay. Did that matter at all yesterday or any other weekend for that matter? Nope.

I really hope we get this feature at our store soon. Contacting anyone at all there is a nightmare. I don't call out a lot, but I was sick as a dog a couple months back calling for literal hours trying to get anyone at all to pick up. Every department, anyone I could get that could transfer me to a leader. Even then, I had a few TMs answer and then hang up on me when trying to park me or transfer me. I kept calling, though, because I was *not* about to get a ncns on my record when I had been calling for several hours before my shift and it wasn't my fault. I'm not the only one who has said this has happened to them, either. I understand the fear that this will encourage more people to call out, but I also see the upside of leaders knowing in advance so they can plan better. People will call out regardless. This makes it easier on the team.

Also there is something to be said for those of us with phone anxiety who get not-so-subtly guilted by the leads answering the phone and have to feel like even more shit for the rest of the day because they were passive aggressive about it.

According to a post on the Confessions of a Target Team Member Facebook page, the feature is being suspended.
I saw that too. Gotta say I agree with Corporate.
The Call In/Late feature was likely being (ab)used too much, including by:
  • Making it convenient – TMs should have a miserable time trying to get a hold of a Leader, or just someone to answer the phone in general
  • Making the callout experience guilt-free — TMs should feel harassed by, and pressured to question, their decision to call off for a shift, especially due to personal or unfortunate circumstances. Company first!
  • Easy on the Leaders, too — the call off or late event would be registered in myTime and a notification sent out, making their job easier not needing to wonder if TM Abcde is coming in today or running late, nor worry about registering the event later manually. We can't have none of that.
  • Just being used, period — we don't want you using features we release.

I finally had a chance to call in sick and this thing didn’t send a notification to anyone . Thankfully one of my co TM messaged me why I didn’t show up and then I called my TL and said I called off through myTime . They said it’s not working properly and now we have a notice saying about it and call the store if we have to report absence/late.

We are enforcing 3 call offs & gone to certain folks.
This thing would've made this easier. They use it three times and boom: gone!
I finally had a chance to call in sick and this thing didn’t send a notification to anyone . Thankfully one of my co TM messaged me why I didn’t show up and then I called my TL and said I called off through myTime . They said it’s not working properly and now we have a notice saying about it and call the store if we have to report absence/late.
So maybe it's being rolled back due to issues? Like not working properly? But the DCs have been using it for months so I'm thinking the beta testing and all is over and all bugs revealed by now?

Back