Archived Calling out 1-2 times during 120 day seasonal period

Status
Not open for further replies.
It should all go without saying, but....

Your attitude in handling the matter can go a long way in determining how HR/leadership feel about you calling out. Like others have said, do everything you can in advance to get these shifts covered (or even better never scheduled in the first place). Go into it acknowledging that you're inconveniencing people, and show you respect the people you work with by making an effort to reduce the impact on the store. Virtually everyone there would prefer to be with their family on certain days, so don't act like you've "earned it" more than them after a month of good behavior.

Yes, holidays have many fun events and competing priorities. And yes, its possible other people in your store will call out (for both valid reasons and dumb ones). That doesn't somehow exempt you from the basic rules of respect. No one's going to force you to care... but effort, attitude, respect... that's more or less all work ethic is... so yeah, that's going to factor into how your work ethic is evaluated.

Last edited:
Since when is it up to the employer to bend over backwards to fit an employee's schedule (minus the obvious legit exceptions)? Retail has specific business needs and if you can't or won't work within those parameters, it really doesn't seem like a good fit for you to attempt to stick around.

Just because this is "only" a retail job doesn't negate it from being real. And if you can't even show a good work ethic (effort, attitude, and respect like @HiddenPenguin said) in a retail job, what confidence would anyone have in your ability to demonstrate it elsewhere?

I’ve had other jobs where calling out wasn’t an issue because at the end of the day it’s you who is losing money.
Retail, my dude. When you call out, you may be losing paycheck, but you also place undue burden on the team and, depending on your role, an inconvenience to guests (most prominent in the front end).
It’s not my fault that Target’s system of requesting days is terrible compared to other jobs where you are regularly asked about your availability or getting a day open is as easy as speaking to the supervisor in charge of making the schedule weekly and being flexible if plans conflict with work.
Actually, it's relatively easy to do, as long as you have planned it appropriately.

But anyway, cheers.

Please be the person who calls off on Black Friday.
I left early on Thanksgiving and called in sick on Black Friday.. (I was actually sick). I don’t know if it’s because hey actually knew I was sick because I was practically crying when I asked to leave early on Thanksgiving, but they never even asked about it, just said to feel better and see me when I get better. Granted, this was only the second time I’ve ever called in over a year and a half, but, still...

ASANTS I know ones that you can call out every Friday and nothing happens for months, not even a coaching. Then I know stores that if you're late even 6 min it's a coaching, let alone if you call out. In the latter stores seasonal are out after 2 callouts or 2 weeks of being late.

Just ask. We swap, give away shifts, let gstl find someone, etc.

People always want hours. Worst solution is to call out day of, since that makes it hard to cover for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back