Archived Calling out 1-2 times during 120 day seasonal period

Status
Not open for further replies.
I plan to call out a couple times during my season position due to some upcoming events that I have planned. I've requested a day off in advance but there's other things that I know might come up and I have no issue calling out. How do stores usually react to this when evaluating my work ethic during my seasonal period? I would also ask, what are they primarily assessing me during this seasonal period since I'm not always being supervised while I'm working in Hardlines.

If you knew you had events in the future, why didn’t you inform HR during the hiring process? And 120 days? Is that new? It used to be 90.
I did, as I said there was one day in particular I knew of in advance. The rest of my plans came afterwards one of them being very recent therefore I was already scheduled on the day. Is calling out once a big deal?

I did, as I said there was one day in particular I knew of in advance. The rest of my plans came afterwards one of them being very recent therefore I was already scheduled on the day. Is calling out once a big deal?

It can be a big deal, depending on the store. What kind of plans are they? If it is just something fun that came up, then I would say you are SOL and should just go to work as scheduled. You have been scheduled because there is a business need, not because they only wanted to give you hours. You were not hired to work when you feel like it. You calling out will create a gap in coverage and that puts more work/stress onto your coworkers.

Try putting your shift on the swap shift board to see if someone else can pick it up for you. If that fails, talk to your tl or etl about the possibility of removing your shift. Calling out establishes the start of what could be a pattern of unreliability.

It can be a big deal, depending on the store. What kind of plans are they? If it is just something fun that came up, then I would say you are SOL and should just go to work as scheduled. You have been scheduled because there is a business need, not because they only wanted to give you hours. You were not hired to work when you feel like it. You calling out will create a gap in coverage and that puts more work/stress onto your coworkers.

Try putting your shift on the swap shift board to see if someone else can pick it up for you. If that fails, talk to your tl or etl about the possibility of removing your shift. Calling out establishes the start of what could be a pattern of unreliability.
I’ve been showing up everyday for one month, I doubt that this would establish a pattern of unreliability. It isn’t any of their business why I call out, the obvious assumption is that I would be sick. I’m fine with being a seasonal temp I’m just wondering if a couple call outs really disqualify you from staying on. Doesn’t make much of a difference to me either way.

Use the swap shift board. Or better yet, ASK your coworkers if you could swap one of your shifts for one of theirs. If you know that far in advance, submit a request. Doesn't seem like you want to try to me. Who cares if the store stuffers, right? 🙄

Shift giveaway may be your friend here. You can also request it off in MyTime in Workbench if it's like 3+ weeks out.
Minimize calling out as much as you can, not only for your own status, but for the sake of your fellow TMs, who have to pick up the slack in your Workcenter.

I have no issue calling out.
Doesn’t make much of a difference to me either way.

Based on these two statements alone, I would deem you as possibly unreliable. Don't get me wrong, I know two statements do not sum up an entire person, but I see a pattern of not caring here and wouldn't want that kind of person on my team. Now if your performance when you are at work completely blew me out of the water, I'd probably totally disregard any other initial impressions.

Again, why would I care? There is more to life than retail jobs, and you can think of me as immoral or irresponsible even though my actual work performance does not equate to my personal views about this. I’ve had other jobs where calling out wasn’t an issue because at the end of the day it’s you who is losing money. If I was in a desperate situation where I needed the day of pay to be sustainable then I would give up whatever else I had going on in my life in order to get those hours in. I’m in a good position where missing a day of work wouldn’t hurt me financially. This whole strict attitude about missing a couple days of work at Target is pretty ridiculous. Not to mention that my store has call-outs pretty regularly, the fact that this occurs implies to me that the staff is overall lax but if they were to make it a big deal over someone who is in a seasonal position that would be somewhat unfair. If callouts were happening once every other week I would understand but judging someone over this just seems aggrandizing. Leave the nihilists alone. I do my job, I come to work and don’t complain. It’s not my fault that Target’s system of requesting days is terrible compared to other jobs where you are regularly asked about your availability or getting a day open is as easy as speaking to the supervisor in charge of making the schedule weekly and being flexible if plans conflict with work.

Again go to eHR and request the time off or put your shift on the swap board. You might have to exert some effort here to get what you want without penalizing your self in the process.

But hey if you don’t care, what we suggest isn’t gonna matter bc you’ll just do what you want anyway.

Again, why would I care? There is more to life than retail jobs, and you can think of me as immoral or irresponsible even though my actual work performance does not equate to my personal views about this. I’ve had other jobs where calling out wasn’t an issue because at the end of the day it’s you who is losing money. If I was in a desperate situation where I needed the day of pay to be sustainable then I would give up whatever else I had going on in my life in order to get those hours in. I’m in a good position where missing a day of work wouldn’t hurt me financially. This whole strict attitude about missing a couple days of work at Target is pretty ridiculous. Not to mention that my store has call-outs pretty regularly, the fact that this occurs implies to me that the staff is overall lax but if they were to make it a big deal over someone who is in a seasonal position that would be somewhat unfair. If callouts were happening once every other week I would understand but judging someone over this just seems aggrandizing. Leave the nihilists alone. I do my job, I come to work and don’t complain. It’s not my fault that Target’s system of requesting days is terrible compared to other jobs where you are regularly asked about your availability or getting a day open is as easy as speaking to the supervisor in charge of making the schedule weekly and being flexible if plans conflict with work.
You’ve already made up your mind so why did you even ask? “There is more to life than retail jobs” so I don’t see why it matters if they fire you or you don’t get kept on after the season is over. No matter how insignificant something may seem to you in your life, you should still try to put your best foot forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back