Archived calling out christmas eve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, by all means, call out. No one will mind taking up the slack for your absence. We all love working harder so that you can enjoy your holiday.

Just remember, when you're whining about hours in a month or so, the guys taking up your slack will be getting the hours instead of you.
Oh hush. No one works harder when there is a call out unless you want to. When people in the be call out, I still do the same amount of work. A cashier will check out the same amount of people and so on

Call out TC. I'm sure your co-workers do it to you, and it's even outside your availability

I normally agree with you but being q4 they expect you to be flexibile with your availability. Rather than telling them when you can work, you have to tell them when you cannot.

But his availability states he can not work on those 2 days. And doesn't the scheduling system alert the scheduler when an employee is being scheduled outside their availability?

Spot offers very little in exchange for the expectation of almost 24/7 availability. I know people that work for HD and Kohls, and there isn't these kinds of availability expectations. It used not to be this way at Target, at least not when I worked here as a non seasonal TM.

Oh hush. No one works harder when there is a call out unless you want to. When people in the be call out, I still do the same amount of work. A cashier will check out the same amount of people and so on

Call out TC. I'm sure your co-workers do it to you, and it's even outside your availability

Nobody expects you to work harder anyways

It sucks but this is what it's come to for retailers like Spot. You work holidays so the executives don't have to. I

This isnt entirely true. My ETLs are working 60 hour weeks and I am not sure my STL has even gone home.

People work holidays because our store necessitates it. Its not like we are coming in to an empty store.

But his availability states he can not work on those 2 days. And doesn't the scheduling system alert the scheduler when an employee is being scheduled outside their availability?

Again do not ignore availability goes out the window in Q4. We have people who dont work Thursdays who came in on Thanksgiving. You have to specifically ask for days off, thats just how q4 works. If we followed regular availability in q4 we wouldnt be able to staff or run the store.

and at my store there is literally only two cart attendants that are trained to close, and thats how i found out you could ask for christmas eve off as the only other one got it off, so there is literally no other one trained that can take a closing cart shift at my store, and i might add if everything goes good this next year i wont even be around for next xmas eve
So the only other CA did it right and asked for the day off in advance. Now you want to call out when you know there is literally nobody else to do your job, meaning that somebody will be forced into doing their job, plus your job on Christmas Eve. Maybe we have different outlooks on life but that doesn't seem right to me. I'm not trying to call you out here or anything, but like I said, I have friends who have gotten screwed over for the exact same reason, and I feel worse for the poor guy/girl who sucks it up, shows up on Christmas Eve, and then gets fed the shit sandwich of having to do two jobs.

Again do not ignore availability goes out the window in Q4. We have people who dont work Thursdays who came in on Thanksgiving. You have to specifically ask for days off, thats just how q4 works. If we followed regular availability in q4 we wouldnt be able to staff or run the store.
Hire more people or expect call outs then

Wow, I'm thanking my lucky stars that HR at my store respects availability. If they want you to work on a non-available day, they will ask beforehand. I sympathize with you TGarv90 especially where you have another job scheduled. You don't sound like a newly hired seasonal complaining. That stinks!!

Hire more people or expect call outs then

If you hire more people you have to give them hours. If you are happy with 15 hours a week then that is your choice.

Its your job to get your q4 days off in advance. Calling out because you dont have the balls to ask in advance (not directed at anyone in particular) is your problem.

Now the OP is a bit different bc he has another job, I respect that.

Uh, sorry, guest. If you want a cart, you'll have to find one outside because our cart attendant called out and no one else should have to do his job.

Wonder how that will play out.

Wow, I'm thanking my lucky stars that HR at my store respects availability. If they want you to work on a non-available day, they will ask beforehand. I sympathize with you TGarv90 especially where you have another job scheduled. You don't sound like a newly hired seasonal complaining. That stinks!!

Thanks, no I am not seasonal lol I've been with Target a year and three months. And as I've said have no issue working holidays, I expected it going into retail, this year just happens to interfere with my availability and my other job.

Uh, sorry, guest. If you want a cart, you'll have to find one outside because our cart attendant called out and no one else should have to do his job.

Wonder how that will play out.
People will have to get their carts from the lots then lol

This isnt entirely true. My ETLs are working 60 hour weeks and I am not sure my STL has even gone home.

People work holidays because our store necessitates it. Its not like we are coming in to an empty store.

Sorry, I should have clarified. Store-level executives of course work excruciatingly long hours during the holidays. But corporate execs? Hell no. They get every holiday, Black Friday, etc. off. And they make a lot more than we do. Must be nice.

Sorry, I should have clarified. Store-level executives of course work excruciatingly long hours during the holidays. But corporate execs? Hell no. They get every holiday, Black Friday, etc. off. And they make a lot more than we do. Must be nice.

Oh yup sorry for misinterpreting. I wonder what island Brian is chilling out on this week while we sweat blood and tears trying to make sales.

If you hire more people you have to give them hours. If you are happy with 15 hours a week then that is your choice.

Yep, this scenario happens frequently. TMs think they ought to be able to call off for any reason (and I'm not talking sick, family emergencies, and unforseen circumstances but rather the "I have something better to do" OR "I just don't feel like working today") and still get 40 hours a week. What they seem to fail to understand is that when they call out we have to have someone else in the book to call in to replace them. So HR hires more people. Then the ever decreasing hours have to be spread across more TMs. Sad but it's often the TMs who cause this problem who complain the most when they don't have hours.

they do have a CA there from 12:30-9pm that night so they will still have a CA there for most of the night

Sorry but we are getting more threads about basically the same subject.
Call out, don't call out, it's up to you.
Tell them they shouldn't have scheduled you if it was outside of your availability but do it the minute the schedule hits.

Just keep in mind Spot has a long memory.

Apple's to oranges. Their jobs are a lot different though so odd hours aren't a necessity. We may work at the same company, but they aren't retail employees.

Apple's to oranges. Their jobs are a lot different though so odd hours aren't a necessity. We may work at the same company, but they aren't retail employees.

You know I have to reluctantly admit you are right it is apples to oranges but I must say it only further fuels the fire of corporate greed.

Tell me you wouldnt be pleasantly surprised if someone from corporate showed up and catered food for your team on Christmas Eve. I know they cant do that at every store but I wish we got the feeling they actually cared. Instead we get a form letter from Brians assistant on our outlook emails telling us to enjoy our holiday with no time and a half. Especially those of us working until 11 pm. Just sucks all around

My family lately has been going to the movies on Christmas. Lots of people do this but I feel so bad for the employees cause I know I'd be furious if I had to work that day.

I don't celebrate christmas/don't really do anything so i won't feel bad. But for christmas eve, i'm just going to make it the best as possible and have a great night with my coworkers. Just like July 4th, everyone wants to be out (except the 4th was dead..) but we were stuck inside.

If you got into retail you should expect to work these kind of hours. If you are seasonal/under 90 days you will most likely get cut if you call out.

Otherwise you can probably call out and be OK, but they might hold it against you a bit. Be sure to come up with a good excuse.

If you are seasonal, consider yourself done after the holidays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back