Can a beauty team member vent here?

Guys. This holiday season in beauty has just about sent me over.
Does anyone else think that the push for branding Beauty as a specialty goes overboard?

As a very introverted Beauty team member for three years, the changes made are making me increasingly uncomfortable as they are pushy about so much guest interaction.

Sampling seems like a waste of time half the time. Every Saturday and Sunday? It’s a bit much. Most of the products they want is to sample any more is ridiculous. No one is interested in petting Sophia brushes, fake lashes, or squishing the blenders. Plus we get no commission for selling. It would be better if we did sampling like once or twice a month.

The constant need for backup cashiers is absurd where I know so many of them are sitting at home unscheduled when they could be working. No, instead they want to try to save payroll and call people from other departments to help out every 20 minutes. I’m over that. A week ago my leader was angry I didn’t respond to backup and he told me cashier for the remainder of my shift which was 2 hours. Then he said “if you don’t like it, there’s the door.” Who speaks like that? Well, MOST of our team leaders do, that’s who.

I didn’t sign up for all this. This was nothing like what it was when I started.

Also, is it that necessary that we get corporate visits every what seems like other week, quizzing Us and making me feel uncomfortable and incompetent and doubt why I was even hired?

Last edited:
Dam that really sucks. Were all on the same boat as you at my store. There not allowed to tell you there is the door and just report it to hr.

Wouldn't you like to tell that prick TL: "hey asshole, the door swings that way for dickheads like you too." Talking that way to a TM is uncalled for. Report the SOB. Years ago we had a young Christmas seasonal kid working the line with us. Nice, quiet polite kid. The miserable log TL gave him some crap about not worrying about a chem spill, he didn't want to slip and fall, totally agree, he was right. He told her right to her awful face, in public, in front of the whole unload team "you're a shitty team lead!" It was priceless. He transferred to another dept.

Wouldn't you like to tell that prick TL: "hey asshole, the door swings that way for dickheads like you too." Talking that way to a TM is uncalled for. Report the SOB. Years ago we had a young Christmas seasonal kid working the line with us. Nice, quiet polite kid. The miserable log TL gave him some crap about not worrying about a chem spill, he didn't want to slip and fall, totally agree, he was right. He told her right to her awful face, in public, in front of the whole unload team "you're a shitty team lead!" It was priceless. He transferred to another dept.
Damn that kid has got some balls normally he would be shown the door/unemployment line instead of new department.

Last edited:
This is a great place to vent because we'll understand, even if we're not all Beauty TMs. I did beauty shifts when it was just branding, not all about selling and product knowledge. And I pushed all of the cosmetics from the truck on those days. I liked the detail of it and did a good job at it. Then things changed and oh boy, did they ever. Gave it a few weeks and bailed because the new way is definitely not what I signed up for.
Sorry you have such an awful TL. A bad TL can make your job seem terrible even if you love it otherwise.

My TMs are having the opposite problem. I am in a low volume store $20 millionish. They are not allowed to provide backup at the lanes. They have open to close coverage, with a lot of mids through the week. They get so bored. At the end of the night, I let them cashier and they get excited. I'm sorry that it is tough at your store.

Back