Archived Can a business ban a customer? (read description)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at work the other day and this irate customer came into my line. The customer was screaming at me and getting in my face. He than went behind the counter! My coworker (Daniel) who seen it told him that he was not allowed behind the register. The customer than shoved the basket at AP (Jessica) and left. My coworker told AP what happened (AP didn't see what happened) and AP told the manager. The manager said he was banned from the store. I had a bad anxiety attack and had to leave work early after what happened. The customer seemed like he was on drugs!

I was at work today and my coworker (Daniel) told me that the customer was back. I than told the General Manager that another manager told me that the customer was banned. She than told me that they can not really ban someone unless they call the cops, than they have to issue a trespassing warrant. The customer came in twice, the first time he didn't do anything and left, he than came back a second time and when i seen him i asked another coworker to watch the register (I am legitimately scared of him) and when i came back AP told me that he was yelling at my coworker than he went to another department and tried to get behind their counter. He than yelled at my coworker at the other department. My coworker than told the manager than he said he would tell the general manager. AP tried to see which car the customer drove (but to no avail).

Is it true though that a business has to get a trespassing warrant to ban a customer? I also don't work at target anymore. I work at another company now..

Last edited:
I was at work the other day and this irate customer came into my line. The customer was screaming at me and getting in my face. He than went behind the counter! My coworker (Daniel) who seen it told him that he was not allowed behind the register. The customer than shoved the basket at AP (Jessica) and left. My coworker told AP what happened (AP didn't see what happened) and AP told the manager. The manager said he was banned from the store. I had a bad anxiety attack and had to leave work early after what happened. The customer seemed like he was on drugs!

I was at work today and my coworker (Daniel) told me that the customer was back. I than told the General Manager that another manager told me that the customer was banned. She than told me that they can not really ban someone unless they call the cops, than they have to issue a trespassing warrant. The customer came in twice, the first time he didn't do anything and left, he than came back a second time and when i seen him i asked another coworker to watch the register (I am legitimately scared of him) and when i came back AP told me that he was yelling at my coworker than he went to another department and tried to get behind their counter. He than yelled at my coworker at the other department. My coworker than told the manager than he said he would tell the general manager. AP tried to see which car the customer drove (but to no avail).

Is it true though that a business has to get a trespassing warrant to ban a customer? I also don't work at target anymore.

yes they can trespass someone and they cant go into the store for a year i think. if they do they call the police and can be arrested.

I have perma-banned people for less than that. We can and do ban people permanently, unless they're juveniles, then it's one year.

I'm not sure that the police have to be called initially, but I could be wrong about this. I believe all AP has to do is fill out the form and notify them that they are being banned & ask them to sign the form, acknowledging they were notified. I think a copy is also given to them, if possible (again, could be wrong on that...) We have a "no trespass" form in the pharmacy for a couple that were banned from our store in case they ever show up again. They refused to sign it, so we mailed a copy via certified mail to them (it has the notation, "refused to sign" where they would normally sign.)

Yes, your store has the capability and right to (and should, in this case) ban anybody from the store.

I have perma-banned people for less than that. We can and do ban people permanently, unless they're juveniles, then it's one year.

Question: How does AP fill out a trespass notice if the guest refuses to sign, provide their name, etc?

Yes, your store has the capability and right to (and should, in this case) ban anybody from the store.
Question: How does AP fill out a trespass notice if the guest refuses to sign, provide their name, etc?
I'm not sure that the police have to be called initially, but I could be wrong about this. I believe all AP has to do is fill out the form and notify them that they are being banned & ask them to sign the form, acknowledging they were notified. I think a copy is also given to them, if possible (again, could be wrong on that...) We have a "no trespass" form in the pharmacy for a couple that were banned from our store in case they ever show up again. They refused to sign it, so we mailed a copy via certified mail to them (it has the notation, "refused to sign" where they would normally sign.)

I'm in California, so it may be slightly different, but we don't need them to sign so long as we give them explicit verbal warning that they are not permitted on our property again. We do try to have them sign when possible, and I've actually begun to just print out the trespass notices with pre-printed name and signature lines on them (it's really easy to do on Word). When they refuse to sign, I write on the form that they refused to sign (same if they refuse to provide a name), bookmark their exit, save a snapshot of both their exit and me talking to them, and write up a Security Incident that includes times of when I contact them, verbally advise them of being banned from the store and the consequences of returning, and their exit shot.
We also don't bother with mailing it to them, even when we know their address, because the law requires personal or verbal notice. My STL has called a "guest" and informed her that she was no longer allowed to return, and wrote a case herself in TCM. (Which I had not known that she had access to before hand)

AP should know the laws in your state and your company's policy for banning customers. Once they have followed those procedures, you (or management, depending on store policy) are free to call the cops the second this customer comes back in and the cops will arrest him/her for trespassing.

The form is actually pretty basic and really just a formality. It's by no means a legal document and is only issued so we can say that we gave the guest a written warning. The only thing we really have to fill out is the Store and District #. There is a place for First and Last Name, but that's only assuming the person being issued the trespass will give that to you. No signature required. We usually only pull out the form for repeat offenders (multiple return frauds over time, for instance).

AP or LOD can also verbally trespass a guest for disruptive behavior. I've only done this once for a guy trying to steal an X-Box controller. (I also knew he'd taken at least two Nikons from us in the past).

In general, business owners/managers have the right to ask patrons to leave their private property when their behavior is interfering with business operations. When that doesn't work, then you can take the issue to the police.

Why weren't the cops called? We have PD on speed dial! I know one officer by first name he is here so often and I am sales floor. Just call PD and have them deal. These idiots tend not to come back when PD sends them out arrested or not.

We are so not paid to deal with this crap.

Our store just prints out a picture of the security video of AP speaking to them and attaches it to the form. I think in our state, they have to be at least verbally notified...we only mailed a copy to the difficult pharmacy couple because they were the type to try and say they had never been notified.

We actually had one guy who was surprisingly cooperative when filling out the form. Provided his name, address, phone number, and even offered to let AP take a copy of his DL. My first thought was that all the info was fake, but AP said he saw his name in the "police blotter" in the local paper a few weeks later for shoplifting at another store :eek: I guess he figured being asked not to return was better than being arrested for shoplifting.

We actually had one guy who was surprisingly cooperative when filling out the form. Provided his name, address, phone number, and even offered to let AP take a copy of his DL. My first thought was that all the info was fake, but AP said he saw his name in the "police blotter" in the local paper a few weeks later for shoplifting at another store :eek: I guess he figured being asked not to return was better than being arrested for shoplifting.
The lady I trespassed for licking a purse/wallet...thing... was surprisingly receptive and open about all her information too. Of course, she was high as a kite, and was repeatedly thanking me for not calling the cops, so there is that. I'm guessing she knew she had warrants.

Why weren't the cops called? We have PD on speed dial! I know one officer by first name he is here so often and I am sales floor. Just call PD and have them deal. These idiots tend not to come back when PD sends them out arrested or not.

We are so not paid to deal with this crap.

The first time the guy left before we could really do anything. Idk why the cops weren't called yesterday.

The girl working the AP desk thought we could just ban anyone if they become irate. The general manager says different

You don't really need any paperwork for this to be legally binding. The managers are in charge of a business and act in its interest. If you ask someone to leave, and they won't, you can call the police and have then removed.

It doesn't matter if you tell the cops you want him removed because he has a crooked nose, they really have no choice but to make him gone, as it is a private business, on private property, and you no longer want them there.

And PD likes the business they get arrests out of it and even without arrests they get to know the local crazies. For next time.

As an LOD I would have told that guest that he needed to leave the property otherwise I would have to call the police. If he left on his own great. If not I would call the police dept. I have their number in my phone. I would watch the guest until the police showed up so I could let them know where he was. I have only had to call the police once - normally people leave on their own.

As a private business anyone can be asked to leave for pretty much any reason. Doesn't really matter what state you are in for this to apply.

Legally trespassing someone is different. Some states require law enforcement to be present for the trespass to be valid while others the form just has to be shown to the person being trespassed.

There are some added layers if your sell or serve alcohol.

People who are inebriated, even if they aren't causing trouble can be an issue if they are buying booze so 86ing them becomes a necessity.

There are some added layers if your sell or serve alcohol.

People who are inebriated, even if they aren't causing trouble can be an issue if they are buying booze so 86ing them becomes a necessity.

I still work at best buy lolz

Weird thing is that he didn't come to best buy today, but my coworker seen him at chick-fil-a when he was taking a lunch break. The guy wasn't even eating, he was just sitting at the booth looking at other people eat. The guy must just walk around the shopping center where my job is located and harass all the employees

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back