Archived Can an ETL force me to do cashier training?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I know how it works. ALL team members. Various tasks. Not just cashier. Maybe a carry out for a grill is needed. Maybe a bale needs made. Who knows what needs to be done.

But since you are so smart and I'm just an idiot. Why don't you enlighten me? Please use monosyllabic words and short sentence structure.

Cashiers don't have to make bales.

Simple as that.

i think the biggest misconception about modernization is that target is expecting EVERY team member to be able to do EVERYTHING. that's not true.

target wants you to own your workcenter's business end to end, and with a few exceptions (such as backup cashiering), they really want you to stay in your workcenter. you're not gonna see guest advocates pulling batches or making bales just like you're not gonna see GM experts selling beauty or style consultants throwing or sorting the truck.

also, i do know that some stores are using style consultants to do the A&A breakout but that's not in the guide and as we all know, the guide rules all!

also, i do know that some stores are using style consultants to do the A&A breakout but that's not in the guide and as we all know, the guide rules all!

Great. Let's expand this. Who does the guide say should make a bale?

Great. Let's expand this. Who does the guide say should make a bale?

i don't have the book in front of me but i doubt it specifically lays out someone owning bale making. anyone who is trained should just make one when needed. common sense

Cashiers don't have to make bales.

Simple as that.

I trained one of our cashiers on how to make a bale last week. It was a slow day. The cashier would like to change workcenters to anywhere else in the store, so with a GMTLs blessing I was showing her how to do various things around the store between my picks. We needed a bale.

But, yeah, we aren't going to call someone from the lanes to make a bale.

But, yeah, we aren't going to call someone from the lanes to make a bale.

This. People who actually put items in the baler on a regular basis are the ones that should know as they will need it empty on a regular basis. A cashier is very unlikely going to be filling up the baler. On the other hand we want to get hold of people's money before they change their minds and put stuff back, so grabbing hold of whoever's in the store to get the guests' money as fast as possible makes a lot of sense, so all team members should be trained.

This. People who actually put items in the baler on a regular basis are the ones that should know as they will need it empty on a regular basis. A cashier is very unlikely going to be filling up the baler. On the other hand we want to get hold of people's money before they change their minds and put stuff back, so grabbing hold of whoever's in the store to get the guests' money as fast as possible makes a lot of sense, so all team members should be trained.

this is actually a super good argument to support fast service at the checklanes

I vote ETL’s and EIT’s make the bales. Especially the current batch of 22 yo females I have in my store. Hell maybe we can train them on the crown and wave too since it’s required 🤔
Lol EITs always make bales and do carry outs and fill milk. It’s best practice 😂

Yep. That’s completely acceptable.

It’s now the expectation that all team members are trained in various tasks, so that they can further contribute to our mission, which is to service our guests. You’ll be scheduled at times in line with when guest traffic is the highest, and when the store is in need, you’ll have to partake in backup cashiering.
They did this back in the day if you were salesfloor, you have to know how to cashier. They should have done it a while ago when the end to end took place.

get a doctors note saying you have anxiety and can’t be on a register
Everyone’s job sucks and we are all made to do shit we shouldn’t.

There’s a line in the modernization book that says TLs must not muscle out the push they have to supervise. Most of us are the main reason push ends up completed. Should I quit over it? (Rhetorical question; I’ve considered it when pissed off)
Yes. A real lead leads by example.

Agreed. When hiring they need to put all aspects of the job up front. Not to hire you for one thing and then tell you you have to clean toilets.

They do in most stores. Furthermore, this dude is on inbound. He will most likely never have to actually cashier. However, everyone has to know the POS system. Cashiering is the easiest way to learn it quickly. 1-2 days of Cashier training is not going to kill him.

i don't have the book in front of me but i doubt it specifically lays out someone owning bale making. anyone who is trained should just make one when needed. common sense
I’ll fearlessly hang from 17’ ceilings and steel, schlep a guest’s newly purchased bookcase to their Mini Cooper, stitch my own arm back on after a cardboard cut, but eye related injuries give me the heebie jeebies. Nope, to the baler for me. I’d like to add, cashiering gives me heebie jeebies as well. 80BCF030-0A71-40F6-A3F4-DE993DF6B726.jpeg

Last edited:
I feel your pain, OP, even though I completely understand the rationale behind training everyone on the register. I hate cashiering with the white-hot intensity of a thousand suns. The four hours of cashier training I did when was first hired were torture. I would rather get fired than work as a cashier. I will die on this hill.

Last edited:
get a doctors note saying you have anxiety and can’t be on a register
starbucks makes money for the store in terms of profit and in the fact that guests who stop at starbucks first will end up with a larger basket size. any payroll spent training and getting more certified baristas will be made up in the improved guest experience and also just in terms of pure sales.
...And a larger belly. At least in my store. 😁

They do in most stores. Furthermore, this dude is on inbound. He will most likely never have to actually cashier. However, everyone has to know the POS system. Cashiering is the easiest way to learn it quickly. 1-2 days of Cashier training is not going to kill him.

I dunno about you but if I dont do something every day, I tend to lose it and learn it way slower. That's why I liked flow.

I would hope I'd get more than 1 day a week doing cashiering in addition to everything else though.

Is Inbound the new name for Flow? If so, the job description on target.com didn't say cashier work specifically but it does say "Deliver an exceptional guest experience by engaging the guest and prioritizing the guest's needs over task. " That seems like an implied backup when needed.

By the way, why are terms like "Flow" and even the newly cut "Executive Team Leader" and "Apparel and Accessories" still on target.com 's Careers section? Why not the new terms?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back