Archived Can I bring my phone with me on cashier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muddin2988

Lovin' Life
Hi, I am starting orientation tomorrow here in AZ (nervous) BUT, I can do it. I don't want to ask this question to them because I don't want to make it sound like I'm "constantly" using the phone. I can live with out it, but my husband is a OTR driver and I hate being away from my phone. I would keep it on vibrate, and not use it till break time. Would that be a problem??? Thanks

Not a problem at my store as long as it doesn't come out of your pocket except when you are on breaks. You could just do as you planned until you see how your particular store handles phones. If you bring it up to early, it may cast you in a negative light before they even get to know you.

My store doesn't care that I'm on my phone. I use it to write notes about what I need to get from the back in the mornings.

STL don't care.

So yeah definitely ASANTS

Hi, I am starting orientation tomorrow here in AZ (nervous) BUT, I can do it. I don't want to ask this question to them because I don't want to make it sound like I'm "constantly" using the phone. I can live with out it, but my husband is a OTR driver and I hate being away from my phone. I would keep it on vibrate, and not use it till break time. Would that be a problem??? Thanks
Everyone at my store has their phones. We whip them out to show guests cartwheel and to look on target.com if we don't have a my device. So in my store, no problem.

Our store says no phones, but guess what? Everyone has their phones in their pockets. Just don't whip it out while you're on the check lanes and you'll be ok.

Best practice saids your phone must be kept in your locker or your car. If you have a safe and secure plan on file (this is for victims of rape, assault, etc) your AP leader will allow you to have your phone on you. My store issues coaching and finals for repeat offenses. We have a big problem with team members using their phones on the floor texting

Best practice saids your phone must be kept in your locker or your car. If you have a safe and secure plan on file (this is for victims of rape, assault, etc) your AP leader will allow you to have your phone on you. My store issues coaching and finals for repeat offenses. We have a big problem with team members using their phones on the floor texting
Isn't "get appy" still a thing? Wish list can't be loaded on mydevice, so real phone is needed.

For what it's worth I've always carried mine for the alarm. Ringer off. When my dad got lung cancer the ringer stayed on. I've actually stepped out of huddle next to my stl to take a call from the hospital when he was in radiation. Not a problem, but I don't ever have it out unless it's to help a guest.

Let your leadership know why you have it and hopefully they understand. It's rough to always worry and to not have your phone would be torture.

Isn't "get appy" still a thing? Wish list can't be loaded on mydevice, so real phone is needed.

For what it's worth I've always carried mine for the alarm. Ringer off. When my dad got lung cancer the ringer stayed on. I've actually stepped out of huddle next to my stl to take a call from the hospital when he was in radiation. Not a problem, but I don't ever have it out unless it's to help a guest.

Let your leadership know why you have it and hopefully they understand. It's rough to always worry and to not have your phone would be torture.
Those few team members at my store ruined it for everyone. :/.

When i dont have a myDEVICE i use my phone all the time. But I did get an email from my GSTL stating that how using our phones during work hours is not allowed. *shrugs*

As long as you're not using it while you're working, it shouldn't be a problem ( it's not like somebody is going to search you).

You may want to consider having your husband keep the store's phone number as well, so if there's an emergency, the LOD can answer and pull you off your lane to take the call in private.

Our logistics team is allowed to listen to music so everyone has one on them

as long as you are not using it when you are working it should be fine, talk to the GSTL or GSA about it and why you need to. There are always cashiers "goofing" off with their phones texting or whatever.

I always used mine to help guests, IE I would sometimes look up a popular item on my phone to get it's DPCI, then put that DPCI into Merch Locate to get stockroom levels for the item. If you want, you can also show them cartwheel. Basically you can voluntarily use it for work, but not for personal stuff (texts/calls/etc). I'm pretty sure that if you mention you'd use it to help guests/show them cartwheel or other target apps, your store would allow you to have it in your pocket.

That may be best practice at your store, but I don't think it is best practice company wide. A Redwire came through a couple of months ago suggesting that team members bring their phones with them to the salesfloor to demonstrate the various Target apps.

I disagree. The whole idea of leaving one's cell phone in the car or locker sounds antiquated to me, more reasonable back when cell phones weren't as necessary as they have become. I carry my phone with me everywhere and I think it's perfectly fine sitting in my backpocket whilst working. I don't whip it out every 5 minutes. I don't text while working. My ringer stays on silent. There's no reason whatsoever that I shouldn't carry it with me. You never know when an emergency could arise. Or I just don't want to waste my precious break minutes running out to my car to grab my phone. :rolleyes:

We have many guests that won't put Cartwheel on their phone and expect the cashier to have their phone and the app readily available. Not being a front end cashier I was a bit surprised when a guest made this request of me (and was a bit miffed that I didn't have the app).

I found out later that day it's an approved purpose for cashiers to carry their phones. I personally find it ridiculous and unreasonable.

We have many guests that won't put Cartwheel on their phone and expect the cashier to have their phone and the app readily available. Not being a front end cashier I was a bit surprised when a guest made this request of me (and was a bit miffed that I didn't have the app).

I found out later that day it's an approved purpose for cashiers to carry their phones. I personally find it ridiculous and unreasonable.
EXPECT??? Psh. I would have told that entitled B to kick rocks. I will only use my Cartwheel for guests who are really nice and we have built that rapport and they're having a hard time getting the app to work. Also, you can only use your barcode 6 times per day so that's another great reason not to use it all willy-nilly for every guest.

As for the OP, I keep my phone on me for Cartwheel and also every now and then an item will ring up without a price (usually means it should be pulled from the floor) and I'll use the Target app to check for a price. Since cashiers don't have MyDevices, that's as good a reason to have the phone on you.

If I'm cashiering, my phone is still in my pocket, but it only comes out if I know about a great cartwheel coupon (used 25% off c9 for a guest last week).

On the floor I often use it to keep track of time and for the target app. I'm occasionally awful and send a text or two or check sports scores.

At my store, TMs are habitually on their phones, including the TLs, ETLs and even the STL. I'm HL not cashier, so I don't really pay attention when I go up for backup. But at my store, if we don't have a MyDevice, we're encouraged to use our phones (Target App linked to our store) to help us, especially if it's to find something for a guest.

but it only comes out if I know about a great cartwheel coupon (used 25% off c9 for a guest last week).

I've always wondered about this... are we ALLOWED to use our own personal cartwheel/phone to help a guest save money? I'm HL, not a cashier, so the opportunity doesn't come up too often.

I'm sl. I check sl cartwheel coupons habitually on Sunday morning for big discounts so when I go up for backup, I'll help a guest out if I notice they have items with bigger savings. It's a public app. Anyone can get the same coupons. Sometimes they try to download the app while I'm scanning but I don't have time for that lol.

However, based on what I've seen on the forum and even in this thread, I'd ask your store leadership. They may feel differently about it.

my store actually recommends we bring our phones, so we can show people our cartwheel.
our store cartwheel is installed on our myDevices so the only way you'd get away with whipping out the cell is if a) you have a PDA and have no choice or b) you came after 6 and have no chance of getting a myDevice or c) neither matters cause everyone uses their cell phone anyways!

simple ....

e4e143457e57cb06578d614bfe1a7ec8.jpg
no-cell-phone-sign-s-4977.png

is this you

0424complaint-blog480.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back