Archived Can I bring my phone with me on cashier?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always wondered about this... are we ALLOWED to use our own personal cartwheel/phone to help a guest save money? I'm HL, not a cashier, so the opportunity doesn't come up too often.

my store actually recommends we bring our phones, so we can show people our cartwheel.
When Cartwheel had a promotion on Starbucks drinkware after the holidays, we used ours for guests who didn't have Cartwheel....yet.
When they found out about the savings, they'd go back for more items. After their purchase we'd tell them what else Cartwheel had to offer & SBTMs were helping them put it on their phones.
We got rid of a lot of holiday clearance & introduced guests to Cartwheel.
Win-win.

When Cartwheel had a promotion on Starbucks drinkware after the holidays, we used ours for guests who didn't have Cartwheel....yet.
When they found out about the savings, they'd go back for more items. After their purchase we'd tell them what else Cartwheel had to offer & SBTMs were helping them put it on their phones.
We got rid of a lot of holiday clearance & introduced guests to Cartwheel.
Win-win.
lol
cashier-cell.jpg

win-win

If I want to show a guest something on the Target app or Cartwheel, I use my phone because the mydevices are so slow.

our store cartwheel is installed on our myDevices so the only way you'd get away with whipping out the cell is if a) you have a PDA and have no choice or b) you came after 6 and have no chance of getting a myDevice or c) neither matters cause everyone uses their cell phone anyways!
That would work on the salesfloor but not on the registers. Unless it's changed cashiers do not have myDevice. I know that when I was still working those of us who had smart phones (didn't apply to me as I only had a flip phone) were encouraged to have them on the floor to show guests about cartwheel and the Target app. This was also before myDevice.

Back in 2008 we got a call from my mil that they had called in Hospice for my fil (he was in an Alzheimer facility). So when I got into work asked my gstl if I could keep my phone on me. My husband was planning to call me after he had talked to his mother. He said no problem. So it does depend on your gstl or etls but I would ask to make sure.

lol
cashier-cell.jpg

win-win
Yep, the ugly flipside.
My SBTMs would do it behind the espresso machine while they were making drinks.
After the third re-make, I told them to either put 'em in their locker or I'd put 'em in a drawer in HR's office.

If I wasn't allowed to use my phone, I wouldn't be able to help guests find things, use cartwheel/show guests how to use cartwheel, find DPCIs for random stuff that makes its way to the service desk without packaging or a barcode, etc. I use cartwheel and the Target app at least 3 times every shift, usually more. I rarely have a myDevice to use so when a guest asks me for help I'm sure leadership would want me to use my phone rather than tell the guest I couldn't help them.

Best practice saids your phone must be kept in your locker or your car. If you have a safe and secure plan on file (this is for victims of rape, assault, etc) your AP leader will allow you to have your phone on you. My store issues coaching and finals for repeat offenses. We have a big problem with team members using their phones on the floor texting
They haven't rewrote the bp since cartwheel came about and all the tech savvy mojo.

lol
cashier-cell.jpg

win-win
At least she's hiding...One of my fatm would sit on the step ladder in front if the counter and text...almost as bad as the cashiers who sit on the counter and chat. You shouldn't be sitting unless at a desk or with legit permission. Argh.

our store cartwheel is installed on our myDevices so the only way you'd get away with whipping out the cell is if a) you have a PDA and have no choice or b) you came after 6 and have no chance of getting a myDevice or c) neither matters cause everyone uses their cell phone anyways!

You guys have enough iPods for everyone on the floor and cashiers to have them?

I don't even try to get one anymore. Even when I get one I can be sure that eventually there will be a call for someone to give one up for some team whose work they're more important for. Whenever I specifically need one, I just call for help over walkie.

We have many guests that won't put Cartwheel on their phone and expect the cashier to have their phone and the app readily available. Not being a front end cashier I was a bit surprised when a guest made this request of me (and was a bit miffed that I didn't have the app).

I found out later that day it's an approved purpose for cashiers to carry their phones. I personally find it ridiculous and unreasonable.

"I don't have a smart phone or internet access at home because I work here and can't afford to pay for such luxuries."

You guys have enough iPods for everyone on the floor and cashiers to have them?

I don't even try to get one anymore. Even when I get one I can be sure that eventually there will be a call for someone to give one up for some team whose work they're more important for. Whenever I specifically need one, I just call for help over walkie.
Nope. I said after 6 you're pretty much shit out of luck when it comes to equipment. Everyone uses their cellphone anyways even though we're not supposed to. I think they've kind of eased up on the no cellphone rule in fact idk why we even have a no cellphone rule.

I'm occasionally awful and send a text or two or check sports scores.

Guilty. I've definitely checked Red Wings scores on my phone, and on the mydevice as well.

Cartwheel is installed on mydevices corporate wide I'm pretty sure, but not sure what you mean by "our store cartwheel"? An account someone at the store created and logged into on all the mydevices? We tried using a corporate account, but quickly realized that was essentially useless because it was limited to the same six times a day usage as all other accounts. I'd imagine the same would be an issue if using an account created by someone in your store on all the mydevices - that by 10-11 AM you'd have used it t help six people and past that it'd be useless.

Last edited:
Cartwheel is installed on mydevices corporate wide I'm pretty sure, but not sure what you mean by "our store cartwheel"? An account someone at the store created and logged into on all the mydevices?
It was just the way I worded it probably because as I was reading some of these posts they made it seem like Cartwheel wasn't even available on their myDevices. Also yes people logon to their personal cartwheels on the myDevices. I once had the same guy logged in on all of them and then he wondered why he had all these coupons on his Cartwheel that he never added. Given he had about 22 open slots so it was easy to add one or two things to just show guests how easy it is. Problem is we're all too lazy to delete them afterwards.

Thanks everyone, we are allowed to have our phone out to show customers about the cartwheel, I just choose to leave in my locker. I just don't think its right LOL

Funny thing, I had my MyDevice and walkie near my face while doing a product pull for an endcap and a guest comes up to me. I go, can I help you? She's like, yes, but I'll wait until you're off the phone. WTF

My phone doesn't fit in any of my pockets. First world problems. Lol. I leave mine in a locker as well.

At my store, I was told I'm kind of allowed to have my phone out when using the app for a guest or checking the time, but I see several sales floor people on their phones every day. At the check lanes, we're not allowed to have them out period, apparently. At least according to my cashier trainer. I did pull it out the other day to help a guest with Cartwheel and to do some math on the calculator to help fix my derp mistake.

I know when I got hired and was going through orientation I let them know that my phone needs to be on me because my Grandmother has Parkinson and Dementia, I was actually told that they encourage use to have them on us to help guests and such but not be on it texting and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back