Archived Can I leave yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am very grateful for the job, the opportunity, and the paychecks... BUT it is truly getting in the way of my school work. My grades are rolling so fast down hill and I roll my fat self any quicker to catch them. I've always been an honor student. My problem is that I am not that good at prioritizing and managing my time. I still haven't learned how to do so and I've been working for 4 months. I also have a problem with being able to say NO when they call me in or ask me to stay etc etc etc. I work weeknights and weekends and it's really cutting into my school work time. Getting home at 10-11:30 every night is killing my grades. I have school mornings and I'm taking 19 credits (mostly science courses). Now that I've given the background story (which I like to do on every post...) I have a few questions...

1. How do I know when it's time to go?
2. What opportunities do I have if I stay? ( I want to be a Pharmacist)
3. How do I go about using this as job experience in applications? (Cashier)
4. What will Target say to employers who call? ( Only late once and called in before hand, Called out once due weather, 90- 100% speed, always come in when asked, this is my first job and I am a now permanent seasonal....)
5. Any advice or tips?

If you don't feel comfortable with the idea of quitting your job, you could always reduce your availability. Maybe work a couple nights a week and weekends or something. You need to make sure you have enough time for your schoolwork.

1. When your store refuses to work with you in regards to your school schedule
2. A lot of the pharm students in my area are working their way thru school as pharm techs. It builds experience & they almost always go right into the internship program.
3. See above. Outside of that, spot leadership seldom gives references.
4. A prospective employer would only be told that you worked there & when but no other details.
5. If you're not already, get acquainted with your store's ETL-Pharmacy. They can give you the best advice.

You are taking NINETEEN credits?!? What the heck are you thinking? 12-15 is a full load for undergrad. No wonder you are having trouble managing your time and keeping your grades up. Reduce your Target availability AND sign up for fewer classes. You will be happier and will do better in school.

You are taking NINETEEN credits?!? What the heck are you thinking? 12-15 is a full load for undergrad. No wonder you are having trouble managing your time and keeping your grades up. Reduce your Target availability AND sign up for fewer classes. You will be happier and will do better in school.

I was thinking the same thing!!! The most I ever took one semester was 14 and I was not able to work other than weekends. Also went to a top state university...confused about how ANY college advisor would allow you to sign up for that course load as you usually have to make an appeal for taking anything over full-time. Reduce your availability to weekends at once and stop being crazy with your class schedule!

I don't think the registration system at my college will allow anyone to register for more than 16 credits.
I'm taking 12 credits this semester and that's considered full-time.

I think the most credits I've ever taken was 14. I was still able to work my two part-time jobs while in school, but it definitely wasn't easy.

When I studied engineering, I only took up to 16 or 17 credits per semester. At the school I went to, only the music majors took more than that.

Actually, most pharmacy students and prepharm students take at least 18 credits. That's how the track is set up and there is no other way to go about it unless you spend an extra year doing it. I've already applied to other jobs because I would only work weekends there and that's what I need. There have been many etls and other tls quitting and the etl pharmacist is leaving too.

Is it okay to just give up hours I don't want and put them in the switch book? If so, I'll just do that for now.

Actually, most pharmacy students and prepharm students take at least 18 credits. That's how the track is set up and there is no other way to go about it unless you spend an extra year doing it. I've already applied to other jobs because I would only work weekends there and that's what I need. There have been many etls and other tls quitting and the etl pharmacist is leaving too.

Is it okay to just give up hours I don't want and put them in the switch book? If so, I'll just do that for now.
Submit your school schedule to hr.

My husband was engineering and 14 credits was the bare minimum, he took 16-18 normally. Just saying those credit counts are not crazy.

I was going to school for Baking & Pastry Arts, took 19 credits my first semester. I believe I was working 25-30 hours on average a week. It did geta little stressful and I started slacking on my homework eventually.

If I leave in like about a month, what would my status be with Target? If I get a new job, do I have to leave, or can I do an educational LOA? My new job would only be weekends.

If I leave in like about a month, what would my status be with Target? If I get a new job, do I have to leave, or can I do an educational LOA? My new job would only be weekends.

If you get a new job and work that one while on an Educational LOA from Target, you could find yourself in hot water with HR unless it's an on-campus job. In that case, you would be better off quitting. You should just change your availability to weekends only.

That is a lot, i know from experience. I took 18 credit hours for two semesters in a row so I could graduate in time. on top of that, i worked 25 hours a week and did an unpaid internship for 10 hours a week which was an hour away. the only reason i still got good grades was because i NEVER left my house to go to parties, the bar, hang out with friends etc. I was basically in my room the whole time studying. Sometimes you just gotta make sacrifices :/

I would either:
1. Only work Friday nights and weekends
2. See if your college offers a course on time management (usually a one time 30 minute thing, could help you get ideas on how to be less stressed with time)
3. If you can take less credits next semester, 19 is suicidal. I'm taking 18 now but only to get caught up after I dropped a few when I slacked.
4. A combination of the three

Time management can be a pain. But try to get into a routine. It'l get boring but it's the best way I've found to mange my time. I've done such and now I'm doing better than ever. Good luck!

In terms of leaving.....
1. Who do I talk to?
2. What do I say? (How much do I have to tell them?)
3. What will my status be after I leave? ( I would like to go back to working here next semester.)

In terms of leaving.....
1. Who do I talk to?
3. What will my status be after I leave? ( I would like to go back to working here next semester.)
If you want to come back:
1. Your ETL-HR
2. Just tell them you want sometime off for school. You have up to a year.
3. You'll be on LOA and could come back for holidays summers and easy semesters with proper notice. I usually inform them a month in advance.

In terms of leaving.....
1. Who do I talk to?
If you want to come back:
1. Your ETL-HR
2. Just tell them you want sometime off for school. You have up to a year.
3. You'll be on LOA and could come back for holidays summers and easy semesters with proper notice. I usually inform them a month in advance.

But what if I get another job in the meantime?

But what if I get another job in the meantime?
Honestly, I've never known anyone to have done that, but I'm sure if your store found out, it would not be good for you staying employed with target. In the form that you fill out, you sign a statement that you aren't going to be working elsewhere. If you're looking for a job to replace target, then just give your two weeks instead of going on an LOA. Complete your two weeks and if you need a job later, you have experience at target. If you went on an LOA and then let target know you weren't coming back, you would most likely be classified unrehirable since you did not give two weeks.

Wait! Just say family or personal reasons, is an option too. That's what my etl hr told a tm who was their availability due to 2nd job.
If I can say this, that would be great. My family is also in a bit of chaos atm and I have to take off so much because of it.

19 hours is a lot for a science major to be working. I am in the same boat as you, as I'm also a science major and full time student trying to work as much as possible to pay off college and medical bills.

What I have said from the beginning is that I am a college student first. I never expect anything from Target except temporary employment. If they ask me to say over, I might do it if I have time. If I don't have time I just say "No, I'm sorry but I have college work to do, and it is too important to fall behind". If they cannot understand that, you need to get look for employment elsewhere. College is too expensive to be retaking courses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back