Archived Can someone settle the debate of STO/SUBT backstocking?

• Thread starter Guest
  • Start date
  • Replies 77
  • Views 8K
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I was recently told that I'm not suppose to use SUBT999 when I backstock during the CAF pull hours. I have been using STO and SUBT999 during the CAF pull hours for 6 years and never really thought it was a problem. When I was told by the individual, I basically did the "yeah, mmmkay". Someone said that it messes up the PDA and when you do it, it won't make the backroom pull the item in the CAF pulls until the locations on the floor are completely empty.

Can someone settle this debate? I only use STO and SUBT999 when backstocking during the CAF pulls because of the time crunch that backroom is under during the CAF pulls. If I backstock a huge amount of one fillgroup, there is a huge possibility that I will pull that huge amount in the next hour. If that fillgroup batch takes me like 10 to 20 minutes and I have like 30 batches, there is a big possibility that I won't finish in 60 minutes. It's all about time in my opinion. I try to explain that to people but I'm usually it's to people that have never pulled CAF pulls and don't understand the consequences of using STO when backstocking during the CAF pull hours.

Is using STO and SUBT999 really going to screw that much up? I remember when the ETL would post the accuracies of the backroom on the wall and my accuracy was at least 99 percent and usually zero or 1 or 2 baffles.

Subt999 went away last month at our store, so it probably doesn't matter much if you use it or not. I miss it personally. It was a way to reset the autofills to the correct number, and now there is no way to reset it. So we keep pulling 25 GT Kombucha when only five can sit on the shelf...

I used it today in the SUBT application. However, since you said it went away at your store, it will probably be gone this week knowing my luck.

I only use it during the hours of the CAF pulls so I don't screw myself over if I backstock and then have to waste 10 to 20 minutes pulling regurgitated backstock as CAF pulls and have the CAF pulls roll over. I try to explain that to people but it's usually to people that never pull CAF pulls or have never pulled them. I have TLs and team members complain to me about pulling too much and I say "I have no control".
The backroom TL the other day was like "you're still pulling CAF batches?" And I finished the massive 12pm CAF pulls and the TL says "I need you to get on backstock ASAP" and I'm like "I will get it after I pull 5 outs batches".

Some people just don't understand the backroom. The CAF pulls, EXFs, POGs, and research dictate the workload. We have no control over it. I just hate being accused of being lazy especially by clueless people that never pull the amount of crap that I pull.

Target does not like using SUBT because it implies the system does not work. Of course they are not the ones who spend an hout BS a bunch of say, cosmetics, then pulling it all again in the CAFs then getting all back later because the floor is full, then spending and hour backstocking it, then coming in the next day to find all waiting for backstock because it all came out in the autofills again. But, hey trust the system.

Last edited:
Do you use SUBT9999 while your pulling CAFs, or are you backstocking with STO and SUBT9999 while someone else is pulling CAFs? The second option is ok but the 1st option not so much.

SUBT did not completely go away, it's just no longer in the RF apps, it's under the web apps now. So it takes a little longer to toggle between STO and SUBT. But you still can reset the accumulator with it. If you still have the RF apps version, you still might have the web version too, check it out and give it a try.

There is nothing wrong with using SUBT9999 and it does not affect accuracy as long as you use STO 1st and then SUBT9999. But you should only use it if you know the item is 100% backstock because if it is empty on the floor it won't get replenished until someone scans it. SUBT9999 only resets the accumulator until the next guest buys that item, then it pulls again, it won't trap an item in the backroom, unless it was completely empty on the shelf.

A cool trick to check if an item can fit on the floor without physically checking it, is by using the instock tab on item search and look at the on-hand vs capacity. So if you have 10 on-hand and he capacity is 20, then according to the numbers that item should go out. It's only 100% accurate if your on-hands, capacities, and sales floor ties are right but it's a great guide to audit backstock in the backroom.

SUBT9999 is on BR best practice and on MySupport topics. Your usually only suppose to use it on Plano backstock, SPL backstock, and maybe now 4x4 overstock but only if the item didn't have existing locations in the backroom. It's a good idea to use it for the FDC backstock too unless you want to pull for an hour in the freezer. It would be nice to do it with truck backstock too, so the 11s and 12s aren't so big but it would take way too long for the flow team. I haven't found a solution for that issue yet.

If your TL and ETL still don't want you to use it after checking it out on workbench, then just follow their instructions and give your best effort and don't overly show frustrations.

Is there anyone out there that has CAFs under an hour consistently after a truck night. Please let me know how it's done. It seems like most stores have had this issue for a long time now, I'm surprised it hasn't got fixed because it wastes a lot of time and payroll almost everyday day (depending how many truck you have). I've MySupported it a few times but no luck lol

Target does not like using STO because it implies the system does not work. Of course they are not the ones who spend an hout BS a bunch of say, cosmetics, then pulling it all again in the CAFs then getting all back later because the floor is full, then spending and hour backstocking it, then coming in the next day to find all waiting for backstock because it all came out in the autofills again. But, hey trust the system.

The system would work if everyone did their jobs right. If the system pulls it, it's because there is a sales floor need for it. It may have been purchased by a guest, scanned as out, or scanned as a EXF. The cashier may have scanned one item several times when the guest had several different DPCIs instead of scanning each item separately, the instocks team may have scanned something incorrectly, or an EXF may have been shot with a need higher than the actual capacity.

There may be other sources of need, I'm not sure.

SUBT9999 tells the system you just pulled 9999 of this item, which will fulfill the need of the sales floor. The problem is the item won't be pulled again until more need is created. Sales have to reach a certain number for it to trigger a pull, or it has to be scanned again.

So, if you enjoy having a full stockroom and empty sales floor, and/or the OUTS and RSCH batches being huge, then continue using SUBT9999.

Target does not like using STO because it implies the system does not work. Of course they are not the ones who spend an hout BS a bunch of say, cosmetics, then pulling it all again in the CAFs then getting all back later because the floor is full, then spending and hour backstocking it, then coming in the next day to find all waiting for backstock because it all came out in the autofills again. But, hey trust the system.

They don't like it, well, too bad, because the system doesn't work. STO fails.

I'll pretty much ONLY backstock with SUBT999. I'm not dealing with pushing the same item over and over again.

The only time it's not a TM's fault is when a spl was just killed and maybe when something is pre-tied. I'm not even sure if it's called pre-tied, but when you push down and there's another location without an aisle. I think it includes this in the capacity. Could be wrong. I also hate it when people say "I just backstocked that!". Yes, but who worked it the first time and how long has it been sitting back here? People are still going to argue about STO vs the new SUBT app whether or not you need to STO first, but nothing has changed.

I use STO to backstock everything except challenge and newly set pog backstock. I always ask Plano team if they pushed new pogs to second/third locations as well if not i give it back to them.

I used it today in the SUBT application. However, since you said it went away at your store, it will probably be gone this week knowing my luck.

I only use it during the hours of the CAF pulls so I don't screw myself over if I backstock and then have to waste 10 to 20 minutes pulling regurgitated backstock as CAF pulls and have the CAF pulls roll over. I try to explain that to people but it's usually to people that never pull CAF pulls or have never pulled them. I have TLs and team members complain to me about pulling too much and I say "I have no control".
The backroom TL the other day was like "you're still pulling CAF batches?" And I finished the massive 12pm CAF pulls and the TL says "I need you to get on backstock ASAP" and I'm like "I will get it after I pull 5 outs batches".

Some people just don't understand the backroom. The CAF pulls, EXFs, POGs, and research dictate the workload. We have no control over it. I just hate being accused of being lazy especially by clueless people that never pull the amount of crap that I pull.
I am blessed with a tiny store, no 12 pull and the rest of the pulls expect for 4 o clock(which is office) takes 30 mins :)

What would make me happy is if the FDC and GM trucks came at like 10pm or midnight, that way I wouldn't be that affected by the stupidity and laziness of certain flow and early morning backroom team members.

If Spot doesn't want us to use subt 999 then they need to get off their hiney and come up with a solution to the problem at hand. When you backstock all morning only to have it turn around and come right back out on the afternoon cafs KNOWING its backstock and that there is no way in the world it is going out ....why would you waste your time pulling it ? I only use subt 999 for challenge, backstock that has been sitting around for awhile and pog team backstock....I take pride in my work center ( backroom) so using subt is not me being lazy its trying to put a band aid on a process that has been broken for YEARS. If Spot wants to pay me to backstock , pull ,then re backstock the same merchandise hour after hour...then hey go for it . So, once again instead of spending Milllons on a new scheduling system ( that doesn't work btw) Spot should try listening to the people in the trenches and fix the systems already in place.

The system would work if everyone did their jobs right. If the system pulls it, it's because there is a sales floor need for it. It may have been purchased by a guest, scanned as out, or scanned as a EXF. The cashier may have scanned one item several times when the guest had several different DPCIs instead of scanning each item separately, the instocks team may have scanned something incorrectly, or an EXF may have been shot with a need higher than the actual capacity.

SUBT9999 tells the system you just pulled 9999 of this item, which will fulfill the need of the sales floor. The problem is the item won't be pulled again until more need is created. Sales have to reach a certain number for it to trigger a pull, or it has to be scanned again.

So, if you enjoy having a full stockroom and empty sales floor, and/or the OUTS and RSCH batches being huge, then continue using SUBT9999.
I don't understand how , if there is a reset ...merchandise comes back to the back room because it no longer fits on the floor ( ie facing count changed )...and if I back stock that under sto...Why would it come out on the Caf? The system is flawed....I am not saying that as team members we do not make mistakes but to imply that ALL of this is due to people not doing their job correctly is not true.

Merch comes back out after a reset because the system is trying to meet any residual need associated with that item.

For the following, assume all accumulator numbers and OHs are accurate. Say I'm setting a DVD revision. Movie ABC had two facings and a capacity of twenty, but only 10 were stock on the shelf and there are no backroom locations. So the accumulator has a need of 10 (which should be +10 since the accumulator can never go negative, but always tries to get to zero). The new revision only has one facing of ABC with a capacity of 7. I fill the shelf with 7 copies of ABC and the remaining 3 get backstocked with sto. The accumulator sees that there are now 3 copies of ABC in the stockroom and it still has a need of 10, plus 7 for the new revision pull that you should have dropped. So the system thinks you need 17 copies of ABC to fill the floor. So it sends out those 3 that were just backstocked. If you continue to only backstock those copies of ABC with sto, then the system will continue pulling them back out until the accumulator gets back to zero (or maybe until the accumulator goes back under the trigger point for that item).

Now imagine the many different ways that we introduce human error into this process. You can end up with a lot of items pulling that do not actually fit on the floor. Not to mention that accumulator numbers do not drop out of the system if an item goes clearance or salvage. If we get that DPCI in again (think seasonal items), the system will want to push those items to the salesfloor to satisfy residual need from a year prior.

you do realize that implies that the totally Mad Hatters that invent the lunacy that has become the label strips that get to our store, a week late for the passed month, I might addd, are right and the capacities that are associated with those locations are accurate. I can tell you the strips are wrong. The capacities are wrong. and Buffy the ETL who has worked for Target all of six months and has drank nothing but the kook-aid is not really interested in entertaining the notion that the all knowing Center is fallible.

wow, a bit more sassiness than… meh it's the truth. Sink or swim.

Can an ETL or TL prove whether or not you have used STO and SUBT when back stocking? After 5pm, I disown SUBT 999 and only use STO. Like I always say, you have to decide what you want. Do you want the CAF pulls completed on time every hour or do you want them to roll? I just smirk when a TL, TM, or ETL complains and says "you're still pulling?". I just want to say " why not be bold and help me finish the CAF pulls".

Can an ETL or TL prove whether or not you have used STO and SUBT when back stocking? After 5pm, I disown SUBT 999 and only use STO. Like I always say, you have to decide what you want. Do you want the CAF pulls completed on time every hour or do you want them to roll? I just smirk when a TL, TM, or ETL complains and says "you're still pulling?". I just want to say " why not be bold and help me finish the CAF pulls".

I know anything backstocked with STO can be pulled up on the backroom detail report in Store Apps by TM name, location, isle, etc. I'm not sure if there are any reports detailing the usage of SUBT. So, kind of, but not really.

Is SUBT still in RF Apps for you? Because I couldn't even imagine using 999 with it in web apps now. It's so slow... We were told about a year ago to use STO for all backstock, unless we were told otherwise by an ETL or TL.

[QUOTE="The system would work if everyone did their jobs right. If the system pulls it, it's because there is a sales floor need for it. It may have been purchased by

So, if you enjoy having a full stockroom and empty sales floor, and/or the OUTS and RSCH batches being huge, then continue using SUBT9999.[/QUOTE]

This is not correct. You will not have a full backroom and empty sales floor when using SUBT9999, as long as you use it on items that are true backstock. The accumulator does not go negative, SUBT9999 just sets it back to zero and once the item sells again it will pull again. Unless it's an item with a high capacity, it will pull at a certain trigger point, but it won't let the shelf be empty or not fulfill all facing.

If you believe the system works wihout SUBT9999, then I dare you to backstock toys after they do the next reset and then pull the 12pm CAFs and see what happens.

There is no report to find out if someone is using SUBT9999 but if they tell you to not use it, I would just follow their instructions because you can be put on a CCA for not following instructions.

Are you making your timelines according to the CAF monitor? If your not sure, then ask your TL. If your not your making the CAF monitor goal times, then ask your team lead for tips to improve and get faster. If you are making your goal times, then I don't know why they would be saying that unless it's sarcastic humor.

Pulling fast is not all about moving quick, it's more about pulling smart and being strategic.....

The only time it's not a TM's fault is when a spl was just killed and maybe when something is pre-tied. I'm not even sure if it's called pre-tied, but when you push down and there's another location without an aisle. I think it includes this in the capacity. Could be wrong.

If it says NO LOCS and a schematic, that means that the item is on a planogram that isn't currently tied. If it's not tied, it shouldn't create need for the item in the accumulator. However, if the POG was recently untied, there may be a residual accumulator value (as sigma7 said earlier).

Note on pre-ties: If an item is on a pre-tied POG, it should be staged with the rest of the transition product.

Does the pull types report include SUBT, or only batches? If it includes SUBT, then a large number of SUBTs might lead a leader to believe you're using SUBT9999. After all, how many items do you normally SUBT throughout the day? You don't use SUBT to pull CAFs, research batches, price changes, EXFs, etc., and there can't possibly be tens of thousands of guest requests every day.

you can see the % of items that are SUBT-add along with backstock % on one of the backroom reports. There aren't names attached though. I think it is just by department/division maybe. I'll try to find it the next time I go in.

So, I hate reading this entire thread but here is the facts.....

If you are talking about rebackstocking anything that is pulled during the autos or cafs process by STO'ing and then SUBT 9999 and ReSTO'ing. You are talking about what Anonymous12345 just discussed above and the other guy that he quoted..... Kinda...

ONE EXAMPLE IS, STO/SUBT9999/STO is a bandaid on a problem on the sales floor that needs to be trouble shooted. A perfect example is when a Sales Planner is tied (not set) and a POG fill is not dropped. If the sales planner isn't set/tied and filled properly, the system will automatically generate pulls to fill the floor because accumulator has been increased (to much for this post).

At the end of the day, you need to let the ETL-LOG/ETL-Replen and the ETL-HL or whom ever owns plano. This process can be screwed up by a ton of people but most of the time it is LOG (double locations), Plano (fake ties), and Backroom (underpull, batch burning, and shady caf pushers).

Let me know if you have any more detailed questions.

Thx,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back