Archived Can team members get coached off the clock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yuki

Yuki
There is an incident at my store. A team member overheard(well I say overheard but they were standing right next to her) a GSTL talking to another GSTL and two ETLs about an incident in which the GSTL was going to fire a team member. The team member who was standing right there told some people who in turn told more people which went back to said GSTL. The GSTL found her off the clock (she had her coat on and and was buying some items at that moment) and gave her a coaching and told her the ETL would have to talk to her too. Can she do that? I thought you could only get a coaching on the clock. Can the team member get fired for this? Granted she shouldn't have been talking about it to other team members.

Last edited:
Err, that's some awful logic right there: "It isn't her fault she heard(...)"

I wasn't aware ones ears and mouth were connected. You can actually hear something without repeating it.

It's her fault she blabbed to everybody about what she heard.

Granted, I don't think you can be coached off the clock

That is true. I take that back then. I guess I feel guilty about only her getting in trouble. There has been a bunch of us, including myself, who heard that same GSTL talking about private matters about other team members in front of team members and we let others know what we've heard but she's the only one to have gotten in trouble.

I know she should've been coached but I thought it was illegal to coach off the clock. Shouldn't she have been coached when she came in the next day?

I know she should've been coached but I thought it was illegal to coach off the clock. Shouldn't she have been coached when she came in the next day?
Coach them anyways and tell them to do a punch correction.

Seems like the GSTL should be the one getting coached to me . . . the TM has no duty to not talk about things she overheard.

The GSTL has an obligation not to be discussing the firing a TM out in the open where anyone and everyone can hear.

If I were the TM that was getting fired, I'd be horrified and if I were the TM that got coached for gossiping I'd be pissed.

Seems like the GSTL should be the one getting coached to me . . . the TM has no duty to not talk about things she overheard.

The GSTL has an obligation not to be discussing the firing a TM out in the open where anyone and everyone can hear.

If I were the TM that was getting fired, I'd be horrified and if I were the TM that got coached for gossiping I'd be pissed.

Obviously the TM could have used better judgement about what they repeated. That being said... If the TM was coached for that reason, the TM should be able to say "I assumed that if it was not being said in private that it wasn't a private matter."

They had to have told her to put in a punch correction.
A coaching is an official action that has to be done on company time.

Should she have talked about it, probably not but ...

Should the GSTL have talked about a firing where a bunch of people could hear about it before it was fait accomli absolutely not.
Worst kind of management, blah.

To begin with, if the GSTL wanted to talk about firing someone they should had only done that behind closed doors. If they wanted or needed to discuss it with a etl take it the office. How unprofessional ( why should I expect less) to talk about wanting to fire someone where other people can hear. Secondly, if I was the team member who was coached, I would talk to the hr, stl, hotline, ...that's not right...if the GSTL had done the right thing..then no one would had heard her comment to begin with. So, I think the gstl should be the one who is coached. The issue here shouldn't be the team member repeating what they heard ...its the fact what the gstl said to begin with.

Err, that's some awful logic right there: "It isn't her fault she heard(...)"

I wasn't aware ones ears and mouth were connected. You can actually hear something without repeating it.

You are correct, she didn't have to repeat it. However, it shouldn't had been said where others could hear to begin with.

Leadership's fault, pretty easily. You can't be coached off the clock and if I'm that TM, I'm mentioning it to my STL or integrity.

So, you can't be coached off the clock, but you can be coached for hearing something off the clock and blabbing to the whole store about it. Why they didn't talk about trying to fire someone in the office where no one could hear, I don't know...kinda like how some TLs will leave coaching docx files on the desktop...

So I get that you shouldn't be coached off the clock. But can you be coached for something you do while off the clock? For example, TM is throwing garbage out of his car into the parking lot. He's off the clock but he is a TM, dressed in red and khaki, cleaning out his car by throwing all the trash - water bottles, bags, soda bottles, fast food wrappers - on the ground next to his car. Can he be coached?

So I get that you shouldn't be coached off the clock. But can you be coached for something you do while off the clock? For example, TM is throwing garbage out of his car into the parking lot. He's off the clock but he is a TM, dressed in red and khaki, cleaning out his car by throwing all the trash - water bottles, bags, soda bottles, fast food wrappers - on the ground next to his car. Can he be coached?

Depending on local and state laws, AP could contact the police and have the TM charged.

The said TM should NOT have blabbed but the GSTL should NOT have had that kind of privet conversation in front of everyone. The GSTL was probably just angry but that is NO excuse to couch someone off the clock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back