Archived Can you be fired for hitting your 8th?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiminy

I'd like to order 1 large person with extra people
Hey guys

So I was making a phone call for a guest and I was on hold for a long time... I honestly thought I would be done with the call before my 8th, but I clocked out like 2 minutes after hitting the 8th hour...

What do you guys think?

You guys think I'll be alright? Everyone really likes me and my team lead loves me so I dunno...

Thanks

Oh good. I thought it was like hitting your 5th... Whew! Thank you!

Isn't it OT if it's over 8 hours though? Or do you mean over 40 hours in the week?

Isn't it OT if it's over 8 hours though? Or do you mean over 40 hours in the week?

You don't get OT for any amount worked in a single day. OT is anything over 40 hours worked in a week.

Unless there is a law in your state that requires OT for anything over 8 hours, at least.

I think California mandates OT for anything over 8 hours a day. That would completely fail, in my book.

:(

So what traditionally happens when you hit OT? Is it like hitting your 5th?

Oh yea i'dk what I was thinking lol. And I live in California too lmao. You might get talked to, but if you explain the situation they should understand. They'll just tell you to make sure you clock out earlier next time.

No its not like hitting your fifth. They just paid you an extra 20 cents for those 2 minutes lol.

Thanks @BlueSide

Do you guys I should talk to my team lead (or LOD) or wait to be talked to?

No its not like hitting your fifth. They just paid you an extra 20 cents for those 2 minutes lol.
Sort of.

It doesn't cost the store much, but since STL's get bonuses for payroll management even a minute of OT can cost them lots of money. Therefore still potentially a big deal.

I've only heard that it's some type of a percentage damn near 0% but I can't fathom him getting anything more than 'hey, watch your time'.

I wish the whole 8 hour overtime rule was a thing in my state. Then they would stop scheduling me for 9 and 10 hour shifts that do nothing but burn me out...

Yep if you live in CA, every minute over 8 hrs is OT. It was a big deal at my old store because a lot of people got scheduled full 8 hr shifts, and so every extra minute they were stuck doing something or w/e the case may have been to prevent them from reaching the clock in time was a smidgen of OT.

Our STL had no problem with it until it cut into his bonus a little too much, then it became a coaching or write-up if you went even a minute over.

I get at least an hour of OT per pay without anyone bringing it up ever. I live in Cali. Chances are you'll be fine, though my store is pretty chill about that kinda thing

I'm a bit divided on whether I even like regular OT. The idea is to protect employees, but often it instead screws employees. My STL would happily allow me to work 60-70 hours a week if I could do so at regular pay, but due to OT she won't allow people to work over 40. Sure, 60 hours with 20 at time and a half is nice, but 60 hours all at regular pay is also much more money than 40 hours at regular pay.

Yes...but 60 would lead to all sort of burn out. Better to have 40 and some allusion of work/life balance than burning out and not being at your best when you are there.

That's why I don't like the 8 hours and then OT law...that means I can't make up my 40 by working longer shifts when necessary because other days aren't at 8 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back