Can you get coached for not getting carts?

Our SBTMs and FATMs check in with us when the SB/FA TL isn't working. And as GSAs, we are required to be first responders to them if there isn't anyone in the store who is trained (which is most of the time). So at our store, they are mostly considered front end, even though we tend to leave them to their own devices 99% of the time.

As GSAs, we can't pull people out of their departments for things like you mentioned...stocking candy, zoning one spot, setting endcaps, etc. But at my store, things that involve the guest experience...such as fast checkout and getting carts, we are totally allowed to pull people from other departments. In the same manner, if there are three people staring at our electronics TM, he/she has every right to call out and politely insist that someone come over and help out. It's what we all do.

And no, in the end, you don't have to listen to a GSA...they are just a TM. But depending on the store, the LOD is not going to take kindly to a TM ignoring a GSA's requests and will likely ask that you work with them, or be coached for not being a team player.

@Retail Girl
So as a GSA you can pull a Logistics TM that pushing the floor to get carts?
Are you actually pulling other TM or calling for backup? At my store if we need carts the GSTL/GSA will ask if anyone is free over the walkie, ask for someone to watch the lanes so they can get them, or wait until it's not busy and have a cashier. Usually someone ends up volunteering.

We call it on the walkie looking for a response. If no one volunteers, I start calling out specific departments...generally sales floor. I would have to be pretty desperate to ask flow to do anything...though there are a couple that will cashier as needed.

We do the same thing; when we say pulling somebody to get carts as gsa, we mean more along the lines of "Can anybody run out and grab some carts? or cover ______ so one of us can do it?" Usually we just need an extra body up front somewhere for a few minutes, since we're going to have one out in the parking lot. If nobody is answering after a few minutes the LOD will start asking over the walkie.

Being the ***hole that i am, I'll call out the names of everyone on the sales floor and say "Suzie, Jack, John, Liz, Cam, or Bob; we could really use one extra person up here somewhere for a few minutes, so one of us can run out and get carts, we're almost out." it usually does the trick. TL's or the LOD will almost always back us up immediately, because quite often we just physically do not have enough bodies up front to get carts and continue helping guests. I won't necessarily ask them to get carts, just to get on a lane and help control guest traffic while I (or another TM up front) brings in a row. Gotta love how generous execs are with hours in the guest service department, right......

Working Signing I always knew where there were empty carts around the store, usually back by the freight door.
I'd spend some time rounding them up then get back to
Work.
I hope they aren't going to be dicks about the OPs not going out for carts but I'm sure they could find an excuse.

Working Signing I always knew where there were empty carts around the store, usually back by the freight door.
I'd spend some time rounding them up then get back to
Work.
I hope they aren't going to be dicks about the OPs not going out for carts but I'm sure they could find an excuse.
This! I find so many abandoned carts everywhere.

I have to ask, at what age do you think it's acceptable for a front-end team member to say no to doing carts, even for a short-time in the situations you've mentioned when carts are running low? I'm just irked that there are a couple of front end team members who are maybe 30-40 years old and they ABSOLUTELY refuse to do carts, even for one day (they don't have any medical issues).
I get the concept of ASANTS, but it just really makes me wish that my store had leadership similar to the ones you've mentioned where they try to equally delegate the role of cart attendant to everyone who can do it.
I do appreciate that our store has plenty of cart attendant hours and the only time we don't have a cart attendant is the first two to three hours after opening. However, I also have to add that it's unfortunate that we've had a couple of cart attendants termed for poor attendance within the last few months and one of the new ones NCNS'd on Monday and put up his shift for tomorrow on the swap shift board. This worries me in that if he calls out and is termed, I'll be asked to do carts again.

We have one guy who I won't let go get carts (not that I have that much control but...) because the last time he went and got some (like 7) he came back in and I was worried he would have a damn heart attack. It took him a good 20 minutes to catch his breath. I'm in my 40s and I am perfectly capable of getting carts, but every time I say, "I can go get some" someone younger than me goes.

I don't think many people realized it but I worked at Target for about 8 months with a no overhead work and push, pull, lift limitation of 5 lbs or less.

So, are you sure a car that weighs several pounds is feasible?

30's and 40's is certainly not too old to be getting carts. At least not in most circumstances. I'm not saying no one that age is physically unfit, but if they are, it isn't a result of their age.

Captain Medical here: If you are injured, if you are not physically able to do it simply say: OK pumpkin, let's sit down, we have something to discuss. He/she does. You start: I am nursing a bad (fill in the blank) so I am unable to do this. I would certainly be more than willing to go one for the team but as of right now I can not. Hear what I say: "can not" not "will not." If they're too stupid to know the difference take another approach. "Please come with me, we're going to the STL now (or whatever the hell they're called). You MUST take care of yourself, nobody else will. If necessary drop the "labor board" bomb.

How are you certain they don't have medical issues?
I guess you're right, I'm not 100% sure they don't have medical issues but one of them constantly mentions that they like to go dancing at a club on Saturday nights and that's why they aren't available after 8:00 PM. If they have the energy to be dancing until 3:00 AM or so, couldn't they do carts at least once?

If you can dance, you can bring in a few carts. Moreso, you should do a 'lil dance afterward!
michae10.gif

My TL finally specifically asked me to get carts one day when the did the general page on the walkie since I was standing next to her. I don't remember if that was the 2nd or 3rd cart rally of the day. I went out pushed my 3 at a time it sucked. I was told as long as I went out and tried it counted.
Oh, and inbound/gm (flow) and some consumables tms at my store likes getting carts more than back up cashiering.

My TL finally specifically asked me to get carts one day when the did the general page on the walkie since I was standing next to her. I don't remember if that was the 2nd or 3rd cart rally of the day. I went out pushed my 3 at a time it sucked. I was told as long as I went out and tried it counted.
Oh, and inbound/gm (flow) and some consumables tms at my store likes getting carts more than back up cashiering.
Oh hell yeah I'd rather get carts than backup! I'm only good for three (maybe four) at a time too, but I'd do that all day if that's what they wanted.

That’s all I ever cared about. Showing some effort to help out even if you only felt comfortable pushing 2-4 at a time.

I'd love to watch Ace bringing in 25 carts with a pusher, lol!

Back